• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

$PF Emerson HD-7 Combo Edge, 2004 Manufacture, Collector's Item? $PF

$PF

I never thought I'd sell off my favorite Emerson (and my first "real" knife), but life lives and it's time to move on. To the prospective buyers/collectors out there: This knife, serial 0264, was manufactured in 2004, and it was my EDC for almost 8 years. I have ruined countless jeans from carrying and waving this thing, and it's always served me well. Still has a "factory original" edge on it.

That said, it's far from perfect. It has blade play at anything other than the tightest pivot setting, and there is a good amount of lock-rock in the frame's lock engagement. I was told a while ago that the Emerson spa should be able to remedy both points, but I have no way of knowing whether or not that's true, and I cannot make any guarantees. The pocket clip/top edges of the blade are showing normal exposure wear. Surprisingly, there's very little wear on the blade itself, but there IS a tiny chip in the edge on the tanto portion of the blade -- I dropped it, open, from about one foot off the pavement, circa 2006-ish. I am fairly confident this can be reasonably sharpened out, but I hadn't ever had the desire or need (or patience or skill) to try. Alignment in the closed position seems centered properly, and there's no rub at the loose pivot setting I've got it at now. Lockup is all the way to the right and beyond, with the titanium bar contacting the inside of the opposite G-10 scale. Again, I've been told the spa should fix this, but caveat emptor on this point. The G-10 scale, it should be noted, is not very grippy like the new Emersons, and while some might attribute this to smoothing caused by carry wear, I don't recall it ever being as grippy as the modern CQCs all seem to be. The titanium scale is showing normal wear, but it makes for an attractive patina. No gouges or scratches save for one small streak above the clip mount.

Unfortunately, I have no box or papers with this, but it is genuine and was purchased from a reputable dealer a decade ago. I just lost the box. I hope the following pictures give you an accurate idea of the knife's condition. Assuming a successful spa treatment that fixes the play, lockup, lock-rock, and chipped edge, this thing should be as close to mint as a ten-year-old user (but not abuser) knife can get. Emerson still has these on their site for $417, but the model hasn't been made for many years now (to my knowledge). I would recommend this knife to the user-but-borderline-collector out there, as it is somewhat sought-after. The pictures:

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

Price: $PF