PGA#3 for 4/10 -- 20 inch Afghan Special (Sirupati) for non woodchucks.

20.5 inches and 25 ounces of very good Sirupati by Kesar. Good work by Kesar. File says not as hard as Bura's blades but in the 56 to 57 range. Don't think it will give any trouble. Good looking horn handle with one minor grain line which will probably never go anywhere. Serious karda & chakma. Usual top quality scabbard & frog by village sarki in new leather.

We'll deliver it to your door today for $75 -- another steal.

Call or email if interested.

Attachments

• pga#3 for 4-10 -- 20 inch sirupati by bura -- horn handle.jpg
    pga#3 for 4-10 -- 20 inch sirupati by bura -- horn handle.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 317
I'd love to take her but the other ten khuks I've purchased since February have finally taken their toll on my knife funds. I NEED to stay away from the PGA's long enough to accrue funds for a YCS.

I have a question about the Sword of Shiva design: The 15" Bura Sirupati I picked up a couple weeks ago has a neat circle engraved just forward of the Sword of Shiva on both sides of the blade. This marking does not exist on my other engraved khuks and I have not observed this marking on any photos of those displayed at the Cantina.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this extra marking means? :confused:

Incidentally, this particular khuk bit me hard the first time I cleaned it after use. :eek: I was compelled to immediately promote it from garden duty to daily carry status. :)

...are interesting - A 14" Jag & Prem Sirupati has no mark ahead of the Sword of Shiva, a 12" and a 15" Sanu have the circle, and a BAS by Sanu has a swastika. Could be anything from regional kami tradition, to "I think I'll do it like this, today". Somewhere (FAQ?) someone called the circle the "eye of the Sword of Shiva", but I can't find it now.

This is an optional exercise for the kamis as Wal said -- I think I'll do it like this today. Sometimes they will stick a star where that circle is, sometimes something that looks like a modified swastika or a real one. If it has meaning I don't know what it is and doubt that the kamis themselves know for sure but they'll make up some tall tale BS story about it to tell you.

Nobody wants horn anymore. Spoiled by the woodchuck saatisal.

A 20" horn-handled sirupati was my very first HI khukuri, and to this day it defines "martial arts khukuri" to me.

Guess it's a matter of personal preference; those satisaal handles are way cute, but give me a buffalo horn handle any day. Looks good, feels good, can't be beat.

Horn is tough. Wood, even the cute stuff, ain't.

Contrast the handles of the khuks I have leaning up against my desk here. One wood handle, fine grain and some attractive figure, but all scratched up, dented and with half the varnish rubbed off (gotta varnish wooden handles in a wet climate like this)after a couple of weeks in the woods. Three horn handles, on khuks that've earned their keep every week for over 2 years - unvarnished, pristine. Just wipe off the mud/sap/dried blood/whatever, and they shine.

If I ever manage to get hold of a red deer antler that's big & straight enough, the big villager's going to be treated to a stagshorn grip. It deserves it.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
I like horn for wet weather because it's waterproof but still nobody wants this one.

If I didn't already have one I'd jump on this like a duck on a junebug. I love horn.

Steve Ferguson

Originally posted by raghorn

I have a question about the Sword of Shiva design: The 15" Bura Sirupati I picked up a couple weeks ago has a neat circle engraved just forward of the Sword of Shiva on both sides of the blade. This marking does not exist on my other engraved khuks and I have not observed this marking on any photos of those displayed at the Cantina.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this extra marking means? :confused:[/B]

no idea what it means Raghorn, but I have another 12" khukuri from ... another manufacturer ... that has the same marking.

[/QUOTE][/B]Incidentally, this particular khuk bit me hard the first time I cleaned it after use. :eek: I was compelled to immediately promote it from garden duty to daily carry status. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yikes, she must like you, 'cause she never bit me! Maybe she thought you weren't taking her seriously enough :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad to hear about the promotion!

Pat

Here's a fair looking horn handle.

Attachments

• birgorkha everest katana carved handle decorative scabbard -- handle closeup.jpg
    birgorkha everest katana carved handle decorative scabbard -- handle closeup.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 154
The swastika was taken from the far east in the 1800's by Europeans.. It is a symbol representing the sun. There was a famous psyhic from the time who was came up with a lot of the aryan lore and such that the nazi's embraced. The swastika was adopted by the germans informaly around WWI and then hitler reversed the symbol (mirrored, I think) and put it on the nazi flag. The reason for this is that in Thule, the mystic homeland of the aryans, the sun raises from the west.. (I think!) So if there is a swastika on the khuks, that should explain the origin. I believe it means honor.

I'm not 100% certain about the above-- trying to recall the info from a documentary I picked up from the library.

I have to agree with this group of gents Uncle Bill. I haven't had a knife in my hand that has ever felt the way these horn handles feel. I love them. When the hot dry weather hits TX I'll go down the road little over a mile and pick up some hoof treatment. Till then I'll use Paste wax it has a touch of some kind of oil in it that works wonders on most anything I've put it on.;) ;)

Thanks for the insight on the markings everyone, and I'm glad this one found a home or I may have tossed and turned all night fretting ove it. :)

As for wood vs. horn handles: I've been seeing some darn fine wood handles recently, even managed to grab a couple for myself. The downside to this is that I'm less inclined to take 'em out and work 'em hard because they're so pretty. I've only got one wood handle that's downright ugly, and I'm afraid to woodchuck it up for fear I'll spend all my time admiring it like the other pretty ones.

Of course this goes against my grain. As Yvsa has stated much more articulately than I can, these blades were made to work. Just being pretty alone ain't good enough. Gotta put them through the paces to discover their true character.

I'm still partial to horn handles, they really do take a licking and keep on ticking. And before very long, the scent of Hooflex will grow on you.:cool:

Originally posted by Outdoors
Yikes, she must like you, 'cause she never bit me! Maybe she thought you weren't taking her seriously enough.

Well she got my attention in a big hurry! Now she rides shotgun.

Originally posted by raghorn
Of course this goes against my grain. As Yvsa has stated much more articulately than I can, these blades were made to work. Just being pretty alone ain't good enough. Gotta put them through the paces to discover their true character.

I'm still partial to horn handles, they really do take a licking and keep on ticking. And before very long, the scent of Hooflex will grow on you.:cool:

Raghorn I have an inlayed horn handled YCS that I might, just might be able to be talked out of if the price is right.;) :p
Never used nor tested either, as a matter of fact I don't think I've even sharpened this one.:p :)

Raghorn,

If you dont call Yvsa's YCS I WILL! It is the FIRST ALL HORN YCS (if I remember correctly).

If you plan on useing it I suggest you convince or pay him to put one of his 'full shiver sharp' edges on it. I recieved a GRS from him with it and it is truly amaizing.

Back