Phew!!!!! Got er done.........

Tell ya what Jason on hard use items its hard to beat rough out. It just shrugs off scratches and abrasions. My saddle is roughout too. They get used hard and last. At a recent show I had a mixture of roughout and smoothout sheaths with the knives and the roughout seemed to generate a little more interest. Sold a little sooner seemed like. The kitchen sheaths were sewn on Nichole's Cobra 18 with 138 thread top and bottom. She did those ones to help me out. All the other sheaths were sewn on my Ferdco. with 207 top and bottom. She won't use my machine although she rocks her 18. The foot pedal for the presser foot scares her off. My machine doesn't really have any indication for size on stitch length. It just has a sliding locking screw. Further up the slot is smaller and further down the slot is larger. So her stitches are running 7.5-8 per inch and mine are 6 per inch. Thank-you sir!

Thanks guys. Chris there were 3 knives with Osage Orange on the handles in that last batch. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Is your box from Kansas about empty yet? I see a few here and there with Honey Locust, are those from the batch I sent as well? Do you have the Honey Locust stabilized before you use it?

Here's a small batch(1/2 cord) of Osage Orange knife handles I sold for firewood last week... :rolleyes:
qk9h2Fx.jpg

Don't have a picture but I sold twice that much Honey Locust today.

Chris

Howdy Chris. No I use the honey locust just as it is. I finish it like walnut, wet sand it with danish oil to fill the grain. The Osage Orage I basically finish the same way. I've still got quite a bit. Box not empty yet. Thatas a nice truck load ya got there.

Funny how the internet makes the world so small.
What the one sees as fire wood is an exotic to the next fellow

That's all you were able to get done? What a man of leisure.....LoL but seriously that's a LOT of very nice work man!!! Super clean and neatly done!

I always love your posts, the feeling of the old west comes across to me every time, I hope your Christmas Day is a great one!

G2

edited to add, when I saw those three sheaths with Sonja on there, reminded me of Tom Hanks in that old sitcom Bosom Buddies, where he would always say "Sonny, Sonny, Sonny..." to Sonny Lumet played by Donna Dixon :)

Last edited:
Funny how the internet makes the world so small.
What the one sees as fire wood is an exotic to the next fellow

That it does.
I need to get a good band saw to process the stuff for knifemaking purposes. I have access to more than I could ever possibly get cut up in 2 lifetimes, even for just firewood. The Osage Orange grows around here like a noxious weed. If one doesn't keep his pasture mowed at least annually, the stuff will just take over.

Chris

Anytime you need to get rid of some more firewood let me know Chris. Thanks Gary. Us joking about the man of leisure thing was kinda the inspiration for this whole thread.

Merry Christmas to all from our rancho:

DgK301G.jpg

Christmas morning when we were heading out to feed the horses.

Nice Dave, and yep, I figured it was along that line, an amazing amount of work done, PLUS knives, you're one hard worker!!!

Nice photo too!
G2

Dave, if my eyes don't deceive my that's your skiving style knife posing in the kitchen set? It does make a pretty great bread knife :D That rough out combo is fantastic. I'd like to end up with a kitchen set some day my shop knives did not disappoint. Hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas!

Yes sir you got it. I threw that one in n/c in the set. It does make a great bread knife. Glad you are liking your knives sir. Good to see ya. Hadn't been around much lately.

Back