Phil Bogi Piranha

severedthumbs

Gold Member
Acquired this one some time back. It is one of the most well built folders I have ever owned or handled. The incredible attention to detail is just outstanding. I know no perfect knife exists, but this is damn close to me. I can see many more Bogis in the future for me. Oh, handle material is the dreaded giraffe bone:eek: , but I like it on this one. pic not mine, from bladeart, will try to get some better ones when it stops snowing.

ba05488.jpg

not my favorite blade pattern for this style.

You know better than to ask for love of giraffe bone in THIS forum.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I have enjoyed several conversations I have had with Phil. He is a top maker who still makes them the old fashioned (right) way! By hand!

You know better than to ask for love of giraffe bone in THIS forum.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

:D was hoping for something more witty. the gbone is alright but I am seeing about getting Phil to change the scales up to something different, maybe blue mammoth. wharncliffe isn't foe everyone but for some reason I really like the look and using a good wharny.:foot:

:D was hoping for something more witty. the gbone is alright but I am seeing about getting Phil to change the scales up to something different, maybe blue mammoth. foot:

Sorry,

I used up my monthly supply of "witty" in another thread.

If Phil green lights rehandling that knife, let us know. He HATES rehandling knives.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Nice knife. Phil's work is slick. I'm not usually a gbone fan but two people that seem to make it work to my eye are Phil D and Rodrigo Sfreddo.

The pirhana is a nice knife. Does seem to get less love than the cobra or classic (or even the asp). It is a toss up for me between the piranha and the classic, as have never gotten too excited about the cobra as a user. I think the way the piranha blade shape abruptly concludes kind of kills the flowing lines that make the cobra and classic so distinctive and attractive. Perhaps a very modest upsweep toward the tip would improve it (and not the drop point version I have seen floating around, that is too much sweep).

Mr. G - your "this forum" comment is one of the reasons that there can be a negative perception of the custom knife forum here on bladeforums, as mentioned in the cake server thread which was bereft of wit, IMO.

A small group of anti-giraffies here in the cf do not a quorum make.

While I wouldn't put giraffe on a $1,500 knife, the knife was sold to the dealer at more like $600, which makes it a fairly reasonable choice of handle material, although Phil is one of the best at finishing off micarta to look good. Also, the order was probably submitted 3 - 4 years ago (unless it came from a show) when giraffe was a little hotter on the market.

Mr. G - your "this forum" comment is one of the reasons that there can be a negative perception of the custom knife forum here on bladeforums, as mentioned in the cake server thread which was bereft of wit, IMO.

A small group of anti-giraffies here in the cf do not a quorum make.

Architect,

When I started on BladeForums, which was well after when you started, there was an overwhelming amount of mutual public masturbation on this sub-Forum.

One guy would post an ass-ugly knife, and everyone would say, "Looks very nice", and on down the line. The lack of honesty was pitiful.

You know that I speak for myself. You are also aware of the saying caveat emptor. Well, I feel the duty to speak my mind, try to educate and have some fun with it. Sometimes it comes across as bitchy or mean, other times, it is taken with the intent it was offered. As to what qualifies as whitty, that is about as personal as liking tits, feet or ATM. Takes all kinds.

If you like giraffe bone, that is your right, and I will not ridicule you for it, but the original poster commented:"Oh, handle material is the dreaded giraffe bone , but I like it on this one", and was aware of some prior negative comments about it.

Dude, if you have an issue with me, than pick the right place to put it forward, or PM it.

STeven

That's a fine looking wharnie :thumbup:
If the giraffe bone doesn't bother you, let it be. If it does, go for CF :D
IMO this dark-ish GB looks better than most.

I think the scales are pretty nice looking! Re-handling a folder like this would be a very minor project and I think even non-makers could do it with little trouble. Do a search for some kit knives and youll see that with very little experience and skill, cutting, sanding and drilling two holes in the right place is well within anyone's ability that has patience! I always make a few different sets of scales on my personal folders, and they can take as little as an hour to cut, fit, sand and drill. Less work than installing a can opener! Some install can openers much more gracefully than others, however....you could probably find a set of top notch mammoth for this folder for less than 50$ if you look in the right place since the size would be so small. I wouldnt touch this one, though....looks good as-is. Does the blade have some coating on it? it looks almost gunmetal grey in one pic.

I have three Bogi folders. His are second to none. One Mini Cobra, one Asp and the other nice lock back. I am always keeping my eye out for Phil's folders.:thumbup:

Back