Phil Wilson Sprig but in Magnacut

Riz!

Platinum Member
The Phil Wilson Sprig is a knife I always looked at but never bought because I wasnt sure about S90V.

That knife is the one I wish I bought. The one that got away.

I think Spyderco should bring it back in MAGNACUT. Who’s with me?

Anyone have a sprig? How do you like it. It always looked like it would be a fantastic bird/trout/small game knife or a great food prep knife.

The Phil Wilson Sprig is a knife I always looked at but never bought because I wasnt sure about S90V.

That knife is the one I wish I bought. The one that got away.

I think Spyderco should bring it back in MAGNACUT. Who’s with me?

Anyone have a sprig? How do you like it. It always looked like it would be a fantastic bird/trout/small game knife or a great food prep knife.
The Sprig is a great knife. It’s my go to for camping and barbecues. It will chop up an onion or debone a piece of meat like a laser.
It makes a superb steak knife.
Ive had good experiences with s90v.
Im good with magnacut, but I would like to see one in cpm154.
05E3ED45-1D17-486B-88C3-7C3350E874FC.jpeg

Last edited:
I too never got the Sprig as the Mules were enough fixed blade for me. Well, until the Waterway came along.

I didnt know much about S90V when they were available. Since then I have had multiple knives in it. Its been great. Ide buy one in any steel if they released it again. Ide like to try something in magnacut though and thought it might be a good one

Looks too small and slim to me and I agree with at least one poster above that I'd still pick S90V. I actually hope more that the south fork is brought back.

I wish it was still available. I dig the S90V and do think it’s a better knife with it. However, if we can see a revival with Magnacut, I’m all game. Especially if it can be priced more aggressively compared with the higher price of S90V.

Magnacut: Tough enough for this thin blade stock, good enough edge retention, and stainless for all the wet & bloody work this thing is designed to see. Blades with Magnacut stock seem to consistently go for less than S90V, so I’m assuming the manufacturing cost is lower. Nice that Spyderco already has Magnacut in its catalogue, so sourcing isn’t gonna be a huge issue, hopefully. I’m still waiting on my Magnacut plain edge Native 5 Salt tho. Been on preorder since the first few days it hit.

It has a nice fine edge like the Southfork shoulda. I wish they’d skeletonized the handle, though. Would’ve made for much better balance.

The s90v doesn't get enough credit for being an awesome knife.

Attachments

• Spyderco C101POR2 Manix 2 Orange CPM-S90V $245 (4).JPG
    Spyderco C101POR2 Manix 2 Orange CPM-S90V $245 (4).JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Spyderco C101POR2 Manix 2 Orange CPM-S90V $245 (2).JPG
    Spyderco C101POR2 Manix 2 Orange CPM-S90V $245 (2).JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Spyderco Manix 2 C101PORBK2 Orange Black S90V (3).JPG
    Spyderco Manix 2 C101PORBK2 Orange Black S90V (3).JPG
    274 KB · Views: 6
  • Spyderco Manix 2 C101PORBK2 Orange Black S90V (1).JPG
    Spyderco Manix 2 C101PORBK2 Orange Black S90V (1).JPG
    191 KB · Views: 7
I have a soft spot for the sprig but never managed to pick one up. Great knife. I'd rather have better edge retention than what magnacut offers.

I'd buy S90V or Magnacut! I still think we have a better Chance of a Bow River in S35VN now that maker uses the crucible steel!

I need one to complement my southfork. I agree that the mules fill my fixed blade needs but the sprig is a beautiful knife that I would love to see re-issued.

Not interested in Sprig (too little and slim). A redo of South Fork in magnacut would be epic.

Back