Phillips screwdriver on SOG minitools

The only serious criticism I've read of the SOG CrossCut or CrossGrip involves the lack of a Phillips screwdriver on the CrossCut, and the small, weird-looking one on the CrossGrip.

I was quite surprised to find the CrossCut doesn't have one at all. (It doesn't, does it? Because I couldn't find one.)

I also couldn't figure out what the stubby hunk of metal on the CrossGrip was for, until I looked at the little manual that came with it, and found it was a Phillips screwdriver.

If I may make a suggestion, how about offering a more conventional-looking Phillips tool on both the Crosscut and the CrossGrip, perhaps in place of the tweezers?

I'm offering the tweezers up as "replaceable" because I find the SOG tweezers very difficult to use. And I'm not picking just on SOG here. I don't like the tweezers on SAKs, either.

Comments, anyone?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Your comments are valid and I have personnally wished for a Phillips screwdriver in these tools as well. When developing these tools, our target consumer and their typical purposes were (hopefully and accurately) in mind. Let me try to explain. These are considered mini-tools, which by adding features, add to their size and weight. Typical carry options are on a key-chain, in a purse (for the ladies...part of our target demagraphics), or at the bottom of a pocket. Though I have needs for a Phillips screwdriver like you, most light tool users do not. Also, something else would need to go...something big, because a Phillips is sizable in several directions. I'm the farthest thing from an engineer (I'm better at people skills
smile.gif
...well, you'd better be the judge of that), but I've been told by our engineers that to add to the size of one part means making something else smaller and possibly weaker. By making the Phillips in the CrossGrip stouter than it is and four sided (a typical Phillips), the plierhead would be smaller and other unknowned (at least to me) parts or factors would become more minimized or removed. It is a classic "catch 22."

Maybe I'm not doing well here in describing the engineering side of this, but with only having one model of each in our line, make us need to focus on the biggest customer base. Each of us likely have unique desires. To be honest, if I were to change these tools, I'd want a fully serrated blade.

Any comments on this are certainly welcome.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Your point of view is well taken.

I will rephrase my query: Why not borrow an idea from the Leatherman Micra and make the Phillips tool flat with a rounded head?

Take the nail cleaner on the tip of the file, and instead of cutting away metal to create the nail file, simply round the tip off and perhaps bevel the edges a bit. Presto, an erzatz Phillips tool.

Wouldn't be pretty, but it would serve in a pinch, and that's the point, anyway. What do you think?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the input. We have something like what you are describing in the CrossGrip (a two-sided Phillips), which you referred to in your first post, but it is replaced by the toothpick in the CrossCut. Converting the nail file is a good idea worth considering, but my gut guess is that the nail cleaner (with this being a "personal care-type item") might have to stay. I'll discuss this with R&D and see what they think.

Input is always welcome, so keep suggestions coming.

[ 03-26-2001: Message edited by: Ron@SOG ]

I actually like the toothpick in the CrossCut, and I'll tell you why.

Have you ever worn a nice sweater only to get it snagged on something and pull loose a portion of the weave?

Now you have a dangling loop of thread. My urge is to simply lop it off, but you're really supposed to kind of poke it back into the sweater, and have the piece dangle from the inside rather than the outside.

I found the CrossCut's toothpick to be very useful for this. It may sound silly, but it works quite nicely.

Craig

Back