PHOTO THREAD! -My First (Real) Knife Was An Ontario!

I had other knives before it but this was my first "real" knife, an Ontario Pilot's Survival Knife made in '81 and bought for me by my father in '82. I was 12 years old...

P3050141.jpg

Thanks OKC! :)

Let's see some photos of your Ontario knives!

Last edited:
markksr,

Nice pic. I love well used and well maintained knives....and 1911s

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Dir. of Engineering
Ontario Knife

My first good knife was an Ontario XM Strike Fighter. Carried it everyday for 6 years. Just needs a good sharpening. Still my favorite knife in my collection.

The Retribution was never listed in the Ontario catalog nor on their website. Sales were primarily from word of mouth and the recommendation of dealers. After a couple $5 royalty checks I gave up in disgust. I have little good to say about the company, though the knife made by Fox in Italy was nicely done.

I can't believe that! This is a Badass knife. I just wish it had a pocket clip, yes I would carry it. Where can you find these?

Lots of people have rejected the knife because of the lack of a clip. Some have gotten one and added it, but truth is it's a little big to ride comfortably in a pants pocket and is better suited to a jacket pocket. The decision not to add a clip was based on that along with the fact that a clip totally messes up the ergonomics of the handle. This who've added a clip have usually replaced the contoured handle with slabs to make it both thinner and easier on the pocket. It's a choice I made that I've had second thoughts about many times since.

There are still a number of them in dealers hands I think and they pop up on the secondary market from time to time. Ironically, Ontario now lists it on their Ontario store website despite the above claim there are none in the building.

Interesting anecdote about the knife. When I completed the first prototype and took it to a show. I happened to be sitting with Ken Onion one evening and showed it to him. When he saw and held it he laughed and said, "you have got to call this the Phallusy!" Yeah, it really is better than a roll of quarters in your pocket. :)

Mr. Hossom,

We at OKC are no longer the same company that you worked with years ago; in fact, we’d like to believe that we’ve made significant changes in every aspect of the Company. Most of the management team you are familiar with is no longer here.

So you know, our official store is located at ontarioknife.com, and we’ve been out of your design for some time. You may have seen the Retribution at ontario-knife-store.com, which is an unaffiliated dealer of ours. They list the Retribution as a discontinued item.

For the sake of brevity, we have prepared a picture analogy for the state of the Company now, and as we perceive it having been before we made those changes. It would look something like this:

Now:

BwEHsGj.png

Before:

41NtjId.png

We’d love to have a conversation with you sometime about the new direction OKC is taking.

Sincerely,

OKC

I can certainly agree with the before analogy. It was not a pleasant experience. As for the new you, I am always willing to have that conversation.

Jerry,

I'm glad you are visiting this sub forum. OKC is correct.

You know me; we have talked. I originally worked for Ontario (1992-97). I left for KA-BAR (1997-2013). I am back at Ontario. I would never have left the great KA-BAR company unless I was convinced that there are some good things happening here at Ontario. Are we there yet?...NO. Will we get there? I am convinced. The old ways and people are gone or disappearing fast at OKC.
We should talk over some beers ...At least to heal those old wounds.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto

Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Co.

My first real knife was a Ontario also
9-13-13%2B099.JPG

Sorry I left my 1911 in my other photo. Thought about re doing the OP's photo with my gear but I'm lazy.:)

Toooj, Good to see you again.

Back