Photography Discussion Thread

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
The title says it all, lets talk photography!

We're always discussing cameras and techniques, why not a thread! Everyone is more than welcome to contribute and thanks in advance. :cool:

I'm currently using a Nikon D3100 as my camera, it is my first DSLR and I am really enjoying it. I have always taken loads of pics with the knives and my earlier prospecting business but want to get more into the hobby.

Thanks Xander for the help, gear and inspiration! I owe you one.

I have a sony nex 5n and love it to death... smaller, more compact body compared to my previous DSLR. I end up taking it out and using it more, which is a good thing.

I have a sony nex 5n and love it to death... smaller, more compact body compared to my previous DSLR. I end up taking it out and using it more, which is a good thing.

Nice, I used a Sony that my in-laws had for tons of great pics... lots of fun.

I want a smaller camera for videos, etc... something that isn't as nice! lol maybe a go-pro or a cheapie point and shoot that I don't mind getting aroundd steel dust.

Thanks for posting Willythekid! great screen name

I use a Lumix DMC GX1. I love it for its size and video quality, it's my first break away into the digital world, always shot Leica rangefinders before I had kids, and the itch to buy a KMG ;)

I use a Lumix DMC GX1. I love it for its size and video quality, it's my first break away into the digital world, always shot Leica rangefinders before I had kids, and the itch to buy a KMG ;)

Very nice! The Lumix looks excellent. Leica, wow! :D The KMG is always a great buy though, mine has worn smooth!

Thanks for posting Bryan, much appreciated!

always shot Leica rangefinders before I had kids

Aye... my wife made me get a digital instead of my Leica M4-2 (sold it - I'll have to get another some time, I miss it) because I still have 200+ rolls of film, including some with early pictures of my son, unprocessed - in my photo closet. :/

I shoot professionally - architectural and product/advertising work. For that I use either large format film, medium format film, or medium format digital (and some small format digital). Main bodies are Horseman LX, Horseman VHR (those will use either film or MF digital back), or Canon 5d Mk II - assorted lenses for each system - mostly primes, dedicated macro and T/S for the Canon. Lots of studio strobe gear too.

For my personal work, I mostly shoot street photos - the lack of control and unplanned, fast moving nature of the work is a nice break from the very rigid/technical client work I do. For street work, I still have and use a bunch of vintage rangefinders (Canon P LTM is my favorite), and a Sony Nex 7, with M mount adapter for my LTM and M rangefinder glass. Sometimes break out the medium format TLRs and other goodies - but not as much time for it as I used to have.

I try to keep the systems I use for client work separate than the ones I use for fun - to keep it fun, as it were. Different methods of shooting, different goals - so shooting for fun never becomes just a job.

I currently have a Sony FX-7, Sony a-57, Canon XA20 and 3 go-pros. I mainly use them for filming hunts but want to start photographing some knives.

I love photography. It has been a pass time for 20+ years for me. I usually carry some sort of camera everyday, and not just a cell phone. I am just this year starting to get serious with it and setting goals. Getting a proper kit of studio lighting built up and studying techniques and styles for at least a couple hours everyday. Seriously, everyday. Watching lectures, looking at famous artists, etc. Don't know if I want to get paid for my work yet, but wouldn't mind being able to sell my work on occasion.

I have lots of cameras, I buy old cameras and fix them. I like them, some to look at but all my cameras are in functional condition.

IMG_20131023_112409_zps9db11d77.jpg

Sorry for the funky pic, it was specifically for facebook. I also have maybe another dozen cameras than these pictured here.

-Xander

Aye... my wife made me get a digital instead of my Leica M4-2 (sold it - I'll have to get another some time, I miss it) because I still have 200+ rolls of film, including some with early pictures of my son, unprocessed - in my photo closet. :/

I hear you, I still miss my M6. I have shopping bags of unprocessed film.

I worked as a repair tech for a few years after high school. Took full advantage of my employee discount and layaway plan!

Hey Liam, what digital back are you using?

I would love to get a Leica M in addition to my Leica R. I just love the rangefinders compactness and concealability when walking busy streets. Though, I will never ever forget to leave the lens cap in the bag ever again. Didn't do it on this trip, but did it only one time for about 6 frames, lol! That's the only down side to not looking through the taking lens. I really need to get some gear and chemistry set up so I can really start shooting my YashicaMat 124. It might also be fun to run a roll through the Kodak Tourist as well as the Ferrania Rondine if I can find some 127 film. I have two spools and backing paper so maybe splitting larger film would work.

-X

Xander - I rent the digital backs, but all my current gear is set up to use Mamiya mounts - the one I used last was a Leaf Aptus II 10 (56mp). I really liked it - despite the smaller sensor size that some others I've tried. If I had a spare $22K, I'd buy it.

I think I'm gonna get going on my MF gear soon. Don't have a single thing for developing my negatives, so I'm gonna go for just a daylight bag and some tanks. I'll stick to the Ilford method since I can get hp5+ 120 film just around the corner. I know I can order it cheaper, but it's nice to walk 100 yards and get more when I need it.

But, at the lab this morning picking up my prints and in the case are two lenses I wanted, a Leica R 70-200 and Sigma 150/2.8 in Nikon mount. They were the studio owners personal lenses and are in fantastic shape. Too many toys and not enough money...

-X

Some times...when I am feelin' craaaaazy.....I turn the knobs and push the buttons on my camera to see what happens. :D

Hey Liam, I found a Galvin field camera on local Craigslist with a tripod and lens/shutter for $100. Wondering if you know anything about these cameras and if they are any good for an intro to LF shooting? It is a monorail and everything looks OK from the pics other than cosmetic. I'd love a Horseman like yours, but I don't have a couple grand laying around for a camera like that.

-X

I've never used a Galvin - the only one I knew of was 2x3 (not large format). You can often find good monorails (Toyo/Horseman/Sinar) for a couple hundred. My Horseman only ran me about $500 from a studio photographer who went digital (yay Craigslist).

The lenses are where the money goes - but there are bargains to be had in there too if you do some research (a good basic 135/5.6 from Rodenstock can be found for about $400 with some hunting).

The $100 might be worth it just to get the lens though, depending on what it is.

Ahh, didn't realize it was a 2x3 format. I'd like to go 4x5 to start. Looks like this one has a Kodak Ektar 127 lens. Doesn't have to be a monorail, it's just this one is local and reasonably priced. All the horsemans I have seen around here have been over 1000 bucks. Been toying with the idea of building my own folding, but get lost when I start searching for a lens. I guess a cheap brass barrel lens might be a good place to start, but I'm limited to searching flea bay.

It's not a priority for me now, it's just one of those things I keep in the back of my head because I never know when I'm going to run across a good deal.

-X

Brass barrel lenses can be fun, but they often don't have shutters - so they can be a bit limiting.

Maybe see if you can find a Graflex or Speed Graphic to get going with? They were usually paired with pretty fast normal or slightly wide lenses. They make great intros to LF photography.

Curious what others consider essential reads for the photog. Myself I just put Dan Winters, Road To Seeing on pre order, due out end of next month. Also going to pick up 50 Portraits by Greg Heisler. Greg Heisler is pretty much considered the best portrait photographer currently and is at the top of his game right now. Yet he still manages to pull tricks and styles out of his hat that amaze. He has over 80 covers for Time alone. Even had his presidential photographic privileges revoked at one point for his techniques done in camera that were thought to be liberal use of post processing. He has since photographed the former president that revoked his privileges.

Other volumes by McNally are pretty essential as far as I know as well.

Wonder if anyone will name out a series of three books by a famous landscape photos as essential reading.

-Xander

Heh - I still maintain that "the Negative" is essential (even for digital users) - but overall, Adam's books have fallen out of favor. They have condensed them into a collected volume or two - something like "Basic techniques of photography" which is probably fine. I've never been through it though. Honestly - I don't think there is much to be gained, in general - by going to books - better to learn by doing, and combined with the internet, no reason to drop the dosh on the book. Sometimes there are good specific topic books (architectural photography, portrait techniques, etc.) but I'd rather look at photos by photographers, than guides by them.

Photobook I think everyone should own: Passages by Irving Penn

Back