Photography question: Where do you get the background table?

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Hey guys -

I've been checking out some product catalogs and one thing I've always liked in a product picture is the product table with the reflective surface. Usually it looks like a black mirror or some such, and the photographer puts the product and some filler on top of it for a classy looking picture.

Could one of you photo-gurus point me in the right direction as to
1. What the heck this thing is
2. Where I can get one
3. How much one of these bad boys cost, and
4. Any special things to take into consideration with them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

You should try Sinar Bron Imaging. Have them send you a catalog.

17 Progress St., Edison, NJ 08820

Tel (908) 754-5800

Fax (908) 754-5807

Toll Free (800) 456-0203

http://www.sinarbron.com

If you are looking to get the kind of "shooting table" with the curved back (so that there are no visible edges in your picture), and no nearby support poles (to create even lighting with no shadows, and to photograph at any angle), and at decent size, I think you will be literally astounded at the cost. A couple grand, easily. Or save the cash and make something for yourself.

Hi Spark,
The table is the least important item. Lights, modifiers, camera and experience are more important.
If you look around at some camera shops or newspaper ads, you can usually pick up equipment like that at a large discount, from people who bought it thinking they only needed the fancy equipment.
Pick up a book at Barnes&Noble on tabletop photography and you may find some hints on getting that look without the table.
JB

Hi again,
Sorry I just realized my reply may have sounded rude, and I didn't mean it.
I don't know your level of experience , but I've run across a lot of people who bought expensive equipment that was really just a waste of money for them.
We usually just use a piece of black formica or plexiglass for the look I think you want
(I'm a full time commercial photographer)

I can take decent pictures with the setup I have right now, I am just looking to upgrade to something a bit more classy - that and quite truthfully I don't have time to futz around in Photoshop on images all day anymore.

Heck, if I had the time, I could scan 99% of the knives, edit out the backgrounds, and wind up with the images I use on 1SKS with the funky CGI backgrounds. Unfortunately, time is in short supply these days.

I probably will be buying a cheap television shortly to hook up to the digital camera we have so I can see what the pictures look like before they are taken, but it helps to have a decent setup in place.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Back