Photos of Schrade I*XL Collection.

Thread re-birthed to show the quality, workmanship and superb design variety of the Schrade I*XL connection for newbies who may have not seen the whole array of knives manufactured in that short space of time.....late 70's early 80's....Hoo Roo

Thread re-birthed to show the quality, workmanship and superb design variety of the Schrade I*XL connection for newbies who may have not seen the whole array of knives manufactured in that short space of time.....late 70's early 80's....Hoo Roo
Thanks! It's been a while. :cool:
I note there is even a link to my one and only Schrade I*XL in there. ;)

Here is one that is fairly uncommon.

1zzjlzc.jpg

2d1nyad.jpg

20873u1.jpg

Question: has the hallmark icon of the "head" between the "W" and the "1" or "0" ever been identified? I've read through countless IXL threads and it's only touched on one time in passing as a nod to the silver hallmarks used by the UK.

Doing some quick research the head "appears to be" representation of a particular monarchy and would signify a duty mark paid on the silver weight to the Crown used. . Obviously there is no silver in the nickel silver bolsters and that duty mark was done away with in the late 1800's.

http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

So that still begs the question is that a profile of Albert Baer On the hallmark. Or George Woestenholm?

Last edited:
Reviving this thread which shows examples of the USA Schrade/Wostenholm connection approx. 1979/82.....Hoo Roo

Question: has the hallmark icon of the "head" between the "W" and the "1" or "0" ever been identified? I've read through countless IXL threads and it's only touched on one time in passing as a nod to the silver hallmarks used by the UK.

Doing some quick research the head "appears to be" representation of a particular monarchy and would signify a duty mark paid on the silver weight to the Crown used. . Obviously there is no silver in the nickel silver bolsters and that duty mark was done away with in the late 1800's.

http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

So that still begs the question is that a profile of Albert Baer On the hallmark. Or George Woestenholm?
This is both an interesting link you posted, (Thanks) and question posed. I wonder if anybody here might know the answer? :)

PS, from what I can see, mine more resembles a duty mark as far as I can tell. It is very hard to see.

PS, from what I can see, mine more resembles a duty mark as far as I can tell. It is very hard to see.

I agree I believe it's representative and a tribute to the duty mark used when a tax was collected on silver.

As the bust icon does not match any of the Monarchs that were used the question remains just whos bust is it?

Just found this older thread, and am seeking some info. I have this stockman that was owned by Irv Trachtenberg, a manager with Schrade in the 1970s up to, I think, about 1984.
16uYiRm.jpg

6uGdViz.jpg

fCralDL.jpg

Can someone tell me whether the SS 20 serial number was something special for employees, and does anyone know the blade steel used on these? Thanks!

...Can someone tell me whether the SS 20 serial number was something special for employees, and does anyone know the blade steel used on these? Thanks!

Schrade was a wholesale knife company. They had over twenty official salesmen on the payroll who would each look after a certain US geographical territory.

I researched the blade steel on these BS60 knives years ago and, if I remember correctly, it is most likely 440B stainless. I have no way of knowing if Irv Trachtenberg was salesman "SS20".

Last edited:
Thanks, bc, the 440B makes sense, as Camillus and Western were using it at that time period as well.

wow, those are gorgeous knives. love the work on the end plates.

Thanks! I'm going to ask Bill Feeney to custom scrimshaw another one of these oldies to make it a trio.

I'm thinking "Birth of Venus" with just Venus herself (no Cherubs) lying on the waves on the knife. I'm going to see if Bill will then cut me a same-sized ivory plaque and do a matching scrim on it (with some Cherubs if possible).

78HgdtE.jpg

NlCTt72.jpg

zVbOBgG.jpg

lC940uo.jpg

FyEdfLW.jpg

dUC8CAg.jpg

Crikey,....that should wake Codger up.......or is that premature speculation on my part..?...Lmao..Hoo Roo

Crikey,....that should wake Codger up.......or is that premature speculation on my part..?...Lmao..Hoo Roo

She is The Goddess of Love after all. I think a "Crikey!" reaction is entirely appropriate. Bottecelli's Venus is also drop-dead gorgeous but she's standing up and wouldn't be a good choice for this knife.

I heard back from Bill Feeney yesterday and he kindly agreed to bring my vision to life. I plan to clean and polish my new canoe and then send it to Bill.

I'm going to have solitary Venus/Aphrodite lying on the waves scrimshawed on the knife. To match the Orgill Bros. sets I am also going to have Bill scrim his version of the entire Cabanel painting on a matching mammoth ivory plaque. Plaque will have entire image and the knife will be a zoomed-in, close-up of Venus.

I want Bill to sign his name in cursive to match the Orgill knives and I want "2021" on there too so that this knife and plaque set becomes the 40th Anniversary of Bill Feeney's Orgill Bros. Commemorative, Commemorative.

As with my SC509 project , I'm making some photo mock-ups so Bill and I are on the same page. Fun stuff!

j7eBK0W.jpg

NIBNP1Q.jpg

I also own four other rare Schrade I*XL variations not previously posted in this thread.

The first is a stock GS30 stag lockback but mine is one of an unknown, small number of knives that were specially engraved to be handed out as mementos at the Baer and Schiffer family "Clan Reunion" in NYC in 1986. I purchased it from someone who attended the reunion as a child. His mom was a Schiffer. He recalls most vividly the touring of historical homes that the two families owned in NYC. He thought is was likely Karla Baer that had organized this reunion.

58nAhPr.jpg

dCoesqc.jpg

wI75a2A.jpg

ko4xUlE.jpg

This is a Schrade I*XL "Mountain Man" lockback (likely Camillus skeleton) that's a SFO for Canada's Province of Alberta for their Diamond Jubilee celebration in 1980. Mine (ADJ1726) came without box or bling. I also include a pic I harvested online of a boxed example.

58rsLBz.jpg

yKSjIA1.jpg

We9fBfl.jpg

This M40 lockback SFO for Moore-Handley was scrimshawed by Frank Giorgianni in 1982. It was listed in that year's Old Timer Almanac. http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Almanac/1982-almanacs.pdf

mquB0sA.jpg

on7G7X2.jpg

1dOKmZi.jpg

Finally, a rare and unusual variation of the Schrade-I*XL Commemorative (Texas Stock Knife). This one has jigged bone handles and a wharncliffe blade instead of a sheepfoot. Last pic with a 2-1/4" Schrade Cut Co Lobster pattern knife.

YIDXGGq.jpg

geP2LlU.jpg

puAJRZ0.jpg

YrBFjsL.jpg

7dyMUTs.jpg

AaMMcJb.jpg

Back