Photos of your hawks?

mighty nice line-up, bretheren.

here's a new one i just built for a bud.

24 inches-O-smackolicious....
mjolnir1%20006.JPG

:cool:

vec

Vec my friend, have you ever thought about making the lower section of the handle hollow with a screw cap, for a survival kit?

Vec my friend, have you ever thought about making the lower section of the handle hollow with a screw cap, for a survival kit?

you betcha, brother 'wind.

we have some other crazy stuff in mind too.

i figger if i do my job right, folks'll begrudgingly envy our work while wondering if they can get some of what they suspect i was smokin'...hehehehe...!

i am waiting for a couple of little tools (i am re-building from nothing, after leaving a job that had every tool a composites aerospace shop had to offer - oh the humanity! ) that will let us push the limits of the Gen 1 Mk 3 handle design out further than we have gone before....

waiting sucks though.

:D

vec

Hmmm,,,, the lower section could also be a knife that screws in, and the knife handle could be the survival kit, and the cap could be a led light, a compass fitted into the side of the handle, maybe a 410 guage shotgun with hammer and trigger recessed in the handle, waiting to be flipped out for use, or the head and handle could split right down the middle with a chain, making it a bladed nunchucka hawk. or.... oh never mind just getting a little carried away.

I only have two. Both are by Mark Williams.

This one showed up in the current Blade issue with an article on hawks.

picture.php

Last edited:
Hmmm,,,, the lower section could also be a knife that screws in, and the knife handle could be the survival kit, and the cap could be a led light, a compass fitted into the side of the handle, maybe a 410 guage shotgun with hammer and trigger recessed in the handle, waiting to be flipped out for use, or the head and handle could split right down the middle with a chain, making it a bladed nunchucka hawk. or.... oh never mind just getting a little carried away.

welcome to my world....

:D:thumbup:

vec

awesome!! i'll take one of each

Wow what a Beauty !!!

All the credit is Marks. He mods the makers forums here.

When I ordered it all I said was "make me a duded up pipe hawk".
When that hit my door, I was floored. It is one of my most favorite works in my collection.

I only have two. Both are by Mark Williams.

This one showed up in the current Blade issue with an article on hawks.
Current as in July?! I must have a copy! (runs off to PX)

picture.php

Man this thing takes my breath away every time I see it.

Nice work on the Frontier Hawk. I love it. Won't the head rust without the coat of paint or do you oil it heavily after use?

ColdSteelFrontierHawk2.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply!!!

I take it out on mountain hikes, and it gets thrown a lot. It also misses a lot (especially when teaching someone else),
too... and lands on dirt, sand, rocks, bounces off trees, etc...

I have not done anything to the head since I removed the original black finish that came on it, including oiling, etc...
And, there is no rust at all!!! It still looks basically the same!!!

This is one rugged hawk!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
i am waiting for a couple of little tools (i am re-building from nothing, after leaving a job that had every tool a composites aerospace shop had to offer - vec

vec,

Tell me about the aerospace job... I am in aerospace!!! :thumbup:

-Ron.

vec,

Tell me about the aerospace job... I am in aerospace!!! :thumbup:

-Ron.

brother ron,

my title was Project Manager for a small company full of some real hotshots that made a lot of the non-lifting surfaces you see in over-priced private aircraft...:D... we occasionally made experimental aircraft too, just to stay current.

we broke a lot of industry conventions, but that's what you can do when you have a strong team, i reckon.

my side did mostly prototyping for special projects in aerospace, ROV's, autos, and motorcycles - i also had to do a lot of computer coding for QC stuff.

i was a glorified gopher...:)... but it was never dull.

it felt like Manufacturing Special Forces.

when i wasn't in the Marines or the Navy, i was usually doing something hi-tech - it's a bug that bites you, isn't it!

just wish i had a place for a mill and a lathe!!!!

zinn i kood take ofer zee Vorld!

:jerkit:

....har...!

vec

Here's my CS Trail Hawk with my modern-day "Possibles bag": Camelbak Mule with a Maxpedition Thermite versipack wrapped around it. This is basically everything I need to get along in the field for a day where I work, and the 'hawk handle just coincidentally slips right into the MOLLE loops on the Camelbak.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

With the field-expedient "sheath"
DSC_0003.jpg

I finally got a chance to try my 'hawk out today; I was travelling down one of the lesser-used range roads when I saw a large Hickory limb had fallen across the road, blocking my path. "Ah-HA" thought I, "This is just the thing to try out that Trail Hawk!"

So, out of my vehicle I climb, and go to work on the limb which is about 8" thick. I found the 'hawk to be very lively in the hand, and the narrow head cuts nice and deep. I put a good working edge on it after I stripped the paint, and it held that edge quite well through that Hickory branch. I cut through the middle of the branch in short order, and then moved the two halves out of the road.

I have to say, I'm very happy with my Trail hawk. For the money, I don't think you can beat it, plus you get to do a little mod'ing on it to personalize it, and that just makes it even better!

brother ron,

my title was Project Manager for a small company full of some real hotshots that made a lot of the non-lifting surfaces you see in over-priced private aircraft...:D... we occasionally made experimental aircraft too, just to stay current.

we broke a lot of industry conventions, but that's what you can do when you have a strong team, i reckon.

my side did mostly prototyping for special projects in aerospace, ROV's, autos, and motorcycles - i also had to do a lot of computer coding for QC stuff.

i was a glorified gopher...:)... but it was never dull.

it felt like Manufacturing Special Forces.

when i wasn't in the Marines or the Navy, i was usually doing something hi-tech - it's a bug that bites you, isn't it!

just wish i had a place for a mill and a lathe!!!!

zinn i kood take ofer zee Vorld!

:jerkit:

....har...!

vec

Brother vec,

I ask because I am in the 'Inland Empire', and you list the San Diego area...
I know folks who have worked at Rohr, Goodrich, Aerocraft (spelling?) and Tolo... to name a few. So. Cal has always been full of good aerospace folks!!! I am coming up on 30 years later this month... we should talk!!! :thumbup:

-Ron.

Brother vec,

I ask because I am in the 'Inland Empire', and you list the San Diego area...
I know folks who have worked at Rohr, Goodrich, Aerocraft (spelling?) and Tolo... to name a few. So. Cal has always been full of good aerospace folks!!! I am coming up on 30 years later this month... we should talk!!! :thumbup:

-Ron.

that'd be great!

holy smokes! 30 years! - what a hardcase! :thumbup:

if you are ever in the Coronado area, we can have some coffee and i will tell ya all sorts of lies about how great i am - har!

you are absolutely right about the talent pool for aerospace here - i am addicted to the people in this region. i was at DirtTime 2008 a couple weeks ago in the Sequoia National Forest, hanging out with 100 other crazies from all over the world - talking with a physicist with a degree in law as well - talk about a bunch of mind candy for me.... meanwhile there were more knives and hawks than there were trees there! - this is a great state when you get rid of the big city locos and tyrants in government....

i think we need to make some throwers and get a bunch of fellow-hawkers and go scare the bejeezus outta folks at Cibbets Flat this fall, in the East County - it is one of my favorite Winter camps....

- actually, the thing i love about San Diego in general is how sensible folks tend to be compared to the rest of the state - i just about had a heart attack the other day when i was talking to some church folks who want me to teach their kids how to do spark-based firestarting and knife skills - ya gotta love military towns....

whoops - i got caught ranting again - imagine the odds of ol' vec doing that! - har...!

:cool::thumbup:

vec

vector001 here's a new one i just built for a bud. [img said:
http://www.equinoxcoronado.com/hawks/mjolnir1/mjolnir1%20006.JPG[/img]
vector as usual nice work !!!!!!!!!!!

Back