Pic Request: Antique Micarta, please, thank you!

Lets try this again, CPK & CRK :

WCBozct.jpg

Good looking pair. :thumbsup:

What kind of tree do those seed pods belong to?

i've had a few of those antique micartas and love their look even more than the "Westinghouse", but only because of age and oxygenation. Actually, Westinghouse would be the original Micarta, I think. Now and then, I've relinquished some antique micarta pieces to some who have tried to form sets, with the promise that they not reveal the source - since I would do it at cost. Anyone who has been recipient of one is now free to speak, if he/she so wishes.

In any case, Westinghouse is indeed the true antique, so I'll post a few pics of Westinghouse here:

Westinghouse Micarta RLC
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Bob, do you figure the confirmed Westinghouse pieces will darken in a way comparable to the micarta we call antique?

I've never seen your examples in person and never trust a screen to accurately represent the true colour seen in person.

Justin, all four pieces in the set have color change. Mostly darkened a bit, but the dagger is the surprise. Just for fun, here is a pic of all four from maybe a year ago. Realize that each piece came to me at a different time, so varying shades are to be expected. As soon as i am done with this post, I am going to go shoot each one separately so you the reader can compare. Should be a fun exercise:

large.jpg

Here are the three as they look today. If you hit the link, it will show you what the 3V (not delta) Field Knife in Westinghouse looked like before delta, compared to the looks of the dagger handle, whose pieces were taken from the core of the same piece of Westinghouse, as mentioned in the listing.

The EDC came next, followed shortly/finally by the RLC, using the last piece of what was left from the other three, as I understand it. That's why color in the RLC and EDC is so similar, I would think. But check out the link below, and you will see more of the dagger and FK compared.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/i-dusted-off-some-vintage-micarta.1357021/

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, do you figure the confirmed Westinghouse pieces will darken in a way comparable to the micarta we call antique?

Justin, I never quite answered this part. I personally doubt that the Westinghouse will ever achieve the color of the stuff we are calling antique. At least in my lifetime, lol. Westinghouse is valued by lots of people, but to me, what we all have been calling old-as-dirt antique (ESPECIALLY the edge cut) is BY FAR more beautiful and has so much greater depth to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Bob.

The FK, does it look reddish in person?
Justin, the pic colors are true. And I know exactly what you mean about "reddish". Yet it isn't red. Somewhere, long ago, I read that Westinghouse put a red band or stripe in their stock to distinguish it from all others - if memory is serving me. And I've wondered if that could have made some kind of difference with the color leaching in. But the answer is just "I don't know". But what you are seeing is true color, it's really that "reddish" color in person.

Justin, here is an image of the Westinghouse FK that should interest you relative to color change in the material. This is a pic from when I first got it. Compare it to post #26, and relate it to your question in post #27. Quite a difference. I never realized I had these two pics that, when viewed together, easily showed how much of a color change can happen in a relatively short period. And, of course, you are bound to recognize the butterscotch, too:

large.jpg

Justin, here is an image of the Westinghouse FK that should interest you relative to color change in the material. This is a pic from when I first got it. Compare it to post #26, and relate it to your question in post #27. Quite a difference. I never realized I had these two pics that, when viewed together, easily showed how much of a color change can happen in a relatively short period. And, of course, you are bound to recognize the butterscotch, too:

large.jpg

Thanks Bob. I actually have that pic and more from the series saved as well. I really try hard to not take the screen as fact but there has been a substantial shift for sure.

The butterscotch is impossible to photograph accurately but looks nothing like this pic anymore.

Justin, I think the butterscotch has probably exhibited more change, and done it faster, than any of the other ones. I was very surprised at the speed with which it changed early on, after it finally reached it's way to you.

As for the imaging, I almost always try to take my images outdoors when very overcast. It gives more even light dispersal and causes truer color to be seen in the images. And in Morro Bay, there are overcast days in at least a three to one ratio over non-overcast (sometimes seems like 10:1).

Last edited:
Change is due to exposure to oxygen.
EUREKA!

Just stick the knife into your car hood, and drive around. Once it starts to wobble a bit, pull it out and replant it facing a different direction.
We will want it even on all sides, like browning a pot roast.

Or visit a retirement home, and borrow the oxygen tanks that the occupants use.

Back