Picked a couple up today and whats up with this 112? PICS

muskrat man

BANNED
went hunting the flea markets today. Picked up this 2 dot 112 and a '95 beater 110 to play with. my first question is, i've seen these with a nail nick in the right side and left side of the blade, but this one has no nick at all? The blade is like new, never even sharpened. So, whas the possibilities? A manufacturer error?, special run? what gives?
M_M

Any ideas/opinions would be appriciated. Also, what date was a 2 dot? I'm too lazy to dig through my MS word files to find out :D

...Before the Category lV Version ll in 1980-1981, they didn't have a nail nick at all...it was the Version ll where the "nick" was added...:D ...That looks like a Category lll Version lV...

:eek: :eek: ...OOPS...fergot to mention that the "2" dots were made between 1974 and 1980...:D :rolleyes: :p

Yes, that one looks just my old one from the mid or late 70's, 440C steel, great knife.

Luis

Don Luis said:
Yes, that one looks just my old one from the mid or late 70's, 440C steel, great knife.

Luis
yea i bought one also as navy had some issues with the longer 110...
i did NOT like it mainly due to the smaller handle and lack of nail nick but loved the hook on the front (*1)... so shortened my 110 blade a bit 1/4 inch by grinding down on the back of the clip and got along fine... made that blade look like the one used in a liner lock.

*1 = buck should consiter issueing a 110 with that 112 hook as a cub fund raser knife next year!!! and could use the drop point like this year!!!

thanks for all the help guys. I'll be putting ao ne hand opener stud on it for sure. I sharpened her up and she'll peel the hair. Took a little while to get the factory sharpening marks out of the edge, but she's "right there" now :)

334dave said:
yea i bought one also as navy had some issues with the longer 110...
Dave,
After a few years on the boats, I went surface and the BM's all carried Buck 110's almost as a standard issue. They all had hand made sheaths that allowed them to carry the 110 along with a marlin spike.
Mike

Mike Kerins said:
Dave,
After a few years on the boats, I went surface and the BM's all carried Buck 110's almost as a standard issue. They all had hand made sheaths that allowed them to carry the 110 along with a marlin spike.
Mike
Hey Michael...

Did any of those squids (affectionately) ever use the Buck Yatchsman or whatever it's called with the Marlin Spike? I had one of those (long lost) and thought it was pretty cool. In fact, got it at the Alameda NAS Exchange.

Goose.

PS, Mike said "BM" LOL...DARRYL!!!!! :D :D

:eek: :eek: ...Oh no my "honkin' " friend...dem ol' folks gotsta "purge" fer 10 days before I get 'em...LMBMO...:p :rolleyes:

Buckaholic said:
Hey Michael...

Did any of those squids (affectionately) ever use the Buck Yatchsman or whatever it's called with the Marlin Spike? I had one of those (long lost) and thought it was pretty cool. In fact, got it at the Alameda NAS Exchange.

Goose.

PS, Mike said "BM" LOL...DARRYL!!!!! :D :D
BM = Boatswain's Mate :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Goose,
I'm sure they did, but they were very few in relation to the number of 110's that were carried. It was kind of like a right of passage. Once you got your 110, you were a real "BM." Not to be confused with another nautical person more commonly referred to as a "S_thead." :eek: :D :D :eek:
Mike

Neither a BM nor a S__thead!

Mike Kerins said:
BM = Boatswain's Mate :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Goose,
I'm sure they did, but they were very few in relation to the number of 110's that were carried. It was kind of like a right of passage. Once you got your 110, you were a real "BM." Not to be confused with another nautical person more commonly referred to as a "S_thead." :eek: :D :D :eek:
Mike

Neither a BM nor a S__thead!
Yeah, I always thought those BM's had the coolest rating badge in the Navy. To me, nothing more said "NAVY". You know, that ship's wheel...not a wagon wheel.
When me and my bud (who was the son of the LCDR (Retired) Chaplain from the Lutheran Service Center), would fish off the base piers, I'd see those Mates in Subic wearing the 110 units frequently. Always with a well worn sheath. Once in awhile a local stevedore would have one too.
I was, indeed, a Lucky Buck having been able to experience all that I did as a dependent. It provided a perspective of respect and honor for my country and our allies that I carry to this day.
We are truly blessed...
Goose.

Mike Kerins said:
Sorry Goose, but a ship's wheel is a quartermaster. The boatswain's mates rating badge is crossed anchors. :eek: Check it out here. http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/Pubs/allhands/jan00/pg22.htm
OH YEAH!!! DOH!!! Both are "NAVY".
The other one I've always liked is the crossed anchors with the wings. Think it's the Aviation BM. Now I know what the big plain anchor I've seen on the young ones is for. That must be relatively new.

Anyway...does anyone really use the nail nick on their 110/2? I never have. Just grab the blade and pull it out.

Goose.

The only time I use the nail nick is when I want to try to minimize the amount of finger print on the blade. :)

Mike Kerins said:
The only time I use the nail nick is when I want to try to minimize the amount of finger print off the blade. :)
OK...now that is funny especially "knowing" you.

Yeah, I don't even use the nick on my little ol' 55.

Goose.

‘ship’ is the term used by most sailors for the surface target they sail on...

boat = term used by submariner's for their submarine and by small war craft personal such for such as a river patrol boat...

fyi: pig boat = diesel submarine =>note- us pig boat riders are a dieing breed and are not to be too confused with the ‘civilized’ nuclear powered boat riders ... it's hard to explain…

fyi: Al Buck was a pig boat sailor.

some leaders of the free civilized world at one time considered submarines the same as assassins however we always considered our selves the same as a sharp shooting sniper.

Oh yes back to subject… yes I have seen those sheaths and right pridefull of them the boatswain's mates were…real task masters sometimes also
many had very fancy rope work on them with mini monkey fist’s fashioned to them … a real badge of line knowledge...I also knew some that carried the yachtsman and a 110.

Me - I was a non-conformists and had the max blade rules quoted to me when I went to carrying my 124 on my belt as a deck hand …well some of them carried 119’s and I jest had to do better and bigger then them … right?.
seems they were concerned of my …. Shall we say - my “mood swings” if some one Bucked with me … and the fact I did sharpen everyone’s else’s knife Really Really Sharp!

YOU don’t use a nail nick!? How crude…. Me I like to flick it to click it ….
signed "crazy dave" usn ret

I have a particular affection for Dave since we are both former pig boat sailors. On the boats, TM's (torpedomen) took the place of boatswains mates and I had my time on the seaman gang having to deal with a moron of a TM1. Unfortunately, I never got a 110 until after I left the Navy for the first time.

Back