picked up a caamillus today

I was reading another thread about scout/utility knives and thought I'd pick one up and see what they were all about. I would love to try my hand at cleaning one up to be a safe queen if anyone could give some pointers or point me towards a thread with some good info like "knife cleaning for dummies". Anyway here is the knife , it is a camillus and looks to have all the tools in full form and no cracks in the scales. very tight. It just got dropped in mineral oil for a soak.
dsc00038qb7.jpg

A great knife like that deserves better than to be stuck in a safe. Clean, sharpen and oil her up and put her in your pocket. :thumbup:

todd

Fantastic pickup Wudnme, your making me drool large puddles over here...

Sunburst

it will surely get some pocket time. I just want to try my hand at a collector grade cleaning if it's possible on this knife.

That knife is very worthy of carrying. Clean it up, but don't try to restore it any. Just keep it like it is with the charater intact. It has many years of service in it if you let it. :thumbup:

All to often people try to "polish it up" and ruin the whole point of it.

This a post ww2 version of the military issue knife (sometimes call engineer's knife). The ww2 knives usually had a shield and had the camillus four line stamp. Be careful with the can opener and don't let it snap as the cutout in the bone handle is a vulnerable place for cracks. I have a number of these and when pocket worn the bone takes on a silky feel. Use it, don't lock it away.

got her cleaned up and oiled up. I put some black compound on my buffing wheel (it says for hard metals). It cleaned the surfacerust off and polished the blades and bolsters all in one shot. There was some pitting which will not go away without removing more metal than I care to. It cleand up nicely. The canopener was a real nailbreaker so I put some liquid wrench on the joint and worked it back and forth and now she's like new. I could not stand it anymore, I got it fairly clean and I sharpened it up and in the pocket it went for my edc this weekend.

Back