Picked up a master tanto nightfall, its nice but.....

My Nightfall Master Tanto finally arrived and the fit and finish are top notch. When I first saw these I thought they were the plastic trainers until I looked closer. It is really Ninja to me with the all black finish and very nice lettering but I have no desire to buy anymore "Black" ones, but it looks like that is the wave of the future. I have seen the steel uncoated and understand why they coat them, kinda ugly without the coating. My favorite knives are all shiny and if really lucky with a demarcation line running down the blade. Luckily you can still pick up the San Mai but I am wondering if the prices are going go up for the pre-owned ones and if there are going to be anymore new San Mai, they are all on back order and I get the feeling they may never make it off. I have no problem with the AUS8 I have been using it for years however the only AUS8 are the cheaper knives I don't want. Maybe I am stuck in the past and everyone will embrace the Black Trend. Somehow I cannot picture a new Emperor collection in Black, but it could just be me. I will keep buying the old shiny ones I can find reasonable.

Unless you already own one, I would suggest grabbing a Sanmai Recon Tanto. This is probably the last polished blade tanto made in Japan that one can buy and will probably be gone in the near future. Following the 2009 ban on daggers, tanto knives are also now banned in Japan. For a Manufacturer to make them they have to apply for a special permit to produce strictly for export, an additional hassle. This is the main reason that the Sanmai Master and Magnum Tantos are no longer being made by Hattori, and probably won't be in the future.

I will sell it to you for sure, just what I paid for it too. Plus shipping of course. Let me know.
Thanks

Back