Picked up a sword (more pics added)

Appears to be in shin gunto mounts more pictures of the blade would be helpful especially of the tip (kissaki if I remember correctly).

Okay not an obvious fake to my admittedly amateur eyes. I am also surprised in that the signature doesn't show an arsenal stamp although someone else will have to come tell us what it does say. The nakago does appear to have file marks and perhaps it is wishful thinking but it looks like at least part of the blade has a hamon. I would recommend not doing anything until someone more knowledgeable than myself comes along to tell you what you have.

Looks like WW2 fittings, blade...hard to tell from pics...does look like an actual sword though, quality and value????

Was told on a different site it was made by ISHIHARA Yoshisada of Seki. Still working on the value??

The sword is signed "Seki Ju Ishihara Yoshisada Saku". In the future take the time to orient your photos correctly, tip up, tang down.

The sword is signed "Seki Ju Ishihara Yoshisada Saku". In the future take the time to orient your photos correctly, tip up, tang down.
I assumed someone with some actual information would be along eventually.šŸ˜. Do you know anything about that maker by chance?

Sorry for the slow reply. I don't check in here as much as I used to. The last time I attempted to correct some blatant misinformation, I was told by the administrator to block the other person and ignore their comments. He also admitted he nothing about Japanese blades.

That did not set well with me. I am a champion for correcting misinformation in a sea of misinformation regarding Nihonto. I will not ignore BS that creates confusion. If this site prefers to allow BS opposed to facts that is their prerogative.

In regards to this sword, this is not a group I know much about. There many Yoshisada which spanned across the ages and schools. Ishihara smiths which signed using Seki were from the Mino area. A quick look in the books only revealed one Ishihara Yoshisada using this combination of characters from Gifu who worked in the Showa period (1926-1989).

Additionally, the photos provided are not great for gaining information. There are more photos of the fittings than the sword and to evaluate the sword you need photos of the sword. The photos do not show the entire tang and I would be surprised if it didn't have a seki stamp.

Here are a few more pics. I have no idea what needs to be posted. Im an old Army SF guy with zero knowledge on many things to include Japanese swords.

All I could do to make it out, but yes as suspected it has a stamp. Not Seki but a "Showa" Stamp. This indicates a non traditionally made sword. Additionally the lack of activity in the hamon or hada along with the Yasurimei also support my assessment.

Seki Stamp.jpg

Darn you have good eyes. I looked but missed it!
Ha, I had to manipulate it some to see it. That is why I always stress how important proper photos are. Proper orientation, lighting and focus are critical for accurate assessments. While a close up of the mei is important, it is also important to show the entire nakago without ANY fittings. It only takes a few seconds to remove the habaki and turn the sword to the correct orientation and light.

Back