Picked up two sno industries kilns for free

PCL

A nearby lady with a ceramic shop had just bought two new smaller kiln and was going to have the others hauled away. One is a C24S and the other is a C27S, both are huge. Only problem she has was the control rods had burned out and the bottoms had rusted through. So loops lime plenty of fire brick for a forge and the elements in both are good to go. Just don't have 220 other then dryer. I may use the C24S for knives but need thermocouple as she used heat cones. And may gut other bigger one for parts. Both kiln sitters work fine, one is an LT-3, the other is LT-4. To bad both are top loading but both have lids and I have read you can place knives on racks to be higher.

Has anyone successfully taken apart an old kiln that still has good fire brick and used it for a forge and did they stick with electric or go coal or gas. I have built a gas forge before and have paid and attended black smithing classes at a local guild, so I have used both types. But I do not know about fire brick and coal, do they work well together? I guess I am wondering if stirring around the coal with metal tools will damage the soft fire brick. I am sure the tools can cause damage wondering more about the coal moving against the brick.

Couple things to keep in mind, if you're planning on restoring either (or both) of these to electric "knife" ovens.

The bigger they are, the longer they take heat, and the more they cost to do so.

Also, I think you'll quickly regret a top loader. Not that there aren't makers that use them, but they are a bit more uncomfortable to use.

Thats what I figured, so i will take the larger one apart and build a forge, now the wife wants to try ceramics with the smaller on. Now, coal or gas?

Gas would probably be more suitable for a refractory lined forge.

Hi I just picked up n older SNO kiln too for free. a C24S. My school had the outlet rewired and even put a new plug on it. Bought some new cones. Turned on all the switches and nothing. Nothing lights up and nothing heats up. Anyone know what or how much I would need to do to repair it.

At risk of adding to the resurection of a 2 year old thread...

Without knowing anything other than "it doesn't work" there is little we can advise you on. This kiln is most likely 220 volt. did you plug it into a 220Volt outlet?

Hi I just picked up n older SNO kiln too for free. a C24S. My school had the outlet rewired and even put a new plug on it. Bought some new cones. Turned on all the switches and nothing. Nothing lights up and nothing heats up. Anyone know what or how much I would need to do to repair it.

Could be any number of things, but I'd start at the plug and work backwards from there.

Assuming the outlet is wired correctly and with the correct polarity, then check the plug and make sure it has proper polarity. Check continuity from the cord outlet prongs to where they tie into the controller. Check for any fuses that might be blown or loose, broken connections, etc...
Make sure the power switch is still functional. Make sure there's continuity (or at least a measured resistance) on the element connections coming into the controller.

A DMM should tell you most of what you need to know, as far as general troubleshooting and common issues, assuming the controller itself isn't just fried.

Back