Pickled eggs

I do ! However I use beet juice in mine and sometimes Sriracha to add heat.

My personal recipe. Like any good recipe, it’s just a guideline, and the ingredients and quantities vary based on what’s in my kitchen and or my mood.

1/4 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tblsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 bottle of hot sauce
3 peppers (I used one jalapeño and 2 red Fresno’s)
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic (whole, chopped, diced, doesn’t matter)
6 hard boiled eggs

Mix vinegar, water, sugar, spices, and cayenne in small pot and bring to boil.

In Mason (or other quart jar), layer eggs, peppers, and all other ingredients. Pour 1/2 bottle of hot sauce over top. Pour in boiling vinegar/water/spice mixture, and seal jar. Shake well and turn upside down.

Let sit until cool, then place in fridge for 4-10 days to pickle.

flxMWW2.jpg

Jv9hNiC.jpg

2iBvf9x.jpg

Man... this kinda sounds disgusting, but I have never tried it. Therefor I haven't a leg to stand on here. So, maybe I'll try a small sample like the recipe above. I'll post up if/when I do.

I made some a few years ago but haven't tried since then. They came out OK but not worth the effort I put in. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I made some a few years ago but haven't tried since then. They came out OK but not worth the effort I put in. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Well worth the effort considering how cheap the ingredients are and how much it costs to buy pickled eggs.

cost me $10 to make a $50-$60 jar of eggs.

Last edited:
Flavor is critical for sure. Just encouraging you to try it again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I love em too.
typically a dill pickle juice base with some beet juice for color.
add onion and peppers to taste and let them marinate for a few weeks. way better than a plain hard boiled egg

I love then. I have some in the refrigerator now. Delicious as an egg salad sandwich with chopped pickled gherkins and paprika mixed in.
I use apple cider vinegar for my brine, a little more tangy but great flavour.:)

I cheat, I take store bought pickles and stick boiled eggs in after the pickles are all gone. Sometimes I will throw some crush red pepper and siracha in to kick up the heat in the pickles before hand.

My biggest issue is if my wife catches me eating them she locks me out of the bedroom.

If you look online, there are all kinds of recipes for pickled eggs. I like mine spicy (like my recipe above), but there’s traditional beet juice, coriander, curry, cilantro, or any other flavor you want in your eggs.

The eggs themselves, I’ll sometimes slice up and put in a chef’s salad, or mix into a proper egg salad. The pickled onions and peppers are great on a turkey sandwich with a spicy Mayo or aioli.

My local BBQ joint has them on the salad bar, I stock up when I go there.

Never done a homemade recipe but when I get the jars of recers big daddy sausages I usually throw some eggs in there when the sausages are gone. I like em.

My personal recipe. Like any good recipe, it’s just a guideline, and the ingredients and quantities vary based on what’s in my kitchen and or my mood.

1/4 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tblsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 bottle of hot sauce
3 peppers (I used one jalapeño and 2 red Fresno’s)
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic (whole, chopped, diced, doesn’t matter)
6 hard boiled eggs

Mix vinegar, water, sugar, spices, and cayenne in small pot and bring to boil.

In Mason (or other quart jar), layer eggs, peppers, and all other ingredients. Pour 1/2 bottle of hot sauce over top. Pour in boiling vinegar/water/spice mixture, and seal jar. Shake well and turn upside down.

Let sit until cool, then place in fridge for 4-10 days to pickle.

flxMWW2.jpg

Jv9hNiC.jpg

2iBvf9x.jpg

That looks great except for the eggs! Can’t stand boiled eggs (solidified farts).

I’m gonna try your brine with only peppers and onions like a giardiniera. Love that Lola’s hot sauce.

Back