Pics of Edgeworks Sheath Prototype for GH WWIII

Chiro :

Cliff...why not simply leave the big khukuri at camp while you use the Sirupati to gather the smaller branches?

Usually I tend to stick to gathering dead wood. I use the Sirupati to trim off the branches off trees that are light blocked and the larger one to cut the wind blown tree (which is what I go looking for) into managable pieces if necessary.

As for combining the karda and chakma, the chakma has other uses besides a burnisher. The flat face is used as a striker as well.

-Cliff

Lots to say. First, my apologies for not being as "on" this issue as I usually am. Blame it on the weather (RadarMan is saying, "yeah, craig - you really have something to complain about.")
smile.gif

First, to Andre: Retention is as RadarMan described it. As someone else said though, it is going to be a challenge for them to allow for tolerances in blade variation. To help out, I've asked Lalit to pay particular attention to the variation in the WWIII blades. Hopefully, we can get somewhat of a homogeneous product to work with.

Second to Marcus: Scott and EdgeWorks seemed like the only obvious choice. I don't mean to offend anybody out there who makes kydex sheaths for a living, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. Their willingness to do a custom sheath like this shows their true warrior spirit (there are, after all, quite a few Marines working there).

Third: To Coyote and tallwinged: Versatility will be the name of the game with this sheath. Scott and Radar will see to it that the sheath provides the utmost versatility in carrying options. Marya was looking at it, saying that it looked pretty ugly. Well, this is a perfect example of the design axiom "Form follows Function." Seldom is the beauty of a product made under this axiom aesthetically pleasing - the beauty is in the functionality. Sorry to wax philosophical, but I subscribe to the axiom in everything I try to create. Off of my soap box now . . .

RadarMan: when the prototype gets here, I'm thinking of many things to do with it. Are you going to want it back to work off of? If so, when it's done, I'd like to buy it back from you. My plan is to either auction it off on Bladeforums with the proceeds going to a Nepalese charity, or raffle it off on my website. Any thoughts from the forum?

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Nice sheith. It needs one or two drain holes in the bottom for those inevitably wet situations. I would like two straps on the back so that it could be carried hrizontally as well as a strap at the bottom to secure webbing for a leg tie down or shoulder rig, etc... The option of being able to move those straps using hex screws is a great idea as is the addition of an optional security strap for the handle.

Mike

Chiro75,
Edge Works handles 3 basic levels of kydex building.
1. Custom
2. Handmade regular or "benchmade".
3. Full production.

It seems to me that the WWIII would fall in the "benchmade" lap. Once the sheath has been prototyped EW usually puts as much of the sheath in full production as possible (straps, paddles, and accessories). It is amazing how fast the Custom shop and the production shop can turn out quality sheaths as soon as the prototypes have been analyzed for poduction.
This is also assuming that since this is a special project that EW won't see 1000 knives needing benchmade sheaths dropped on the door step some monday morning.
The EW production team can do some amazing stuff though. I have seen the production board with 2000 sheath deliveries posted more than once.

------------------
>)-RadarMan-(<
Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.... Vermont Proverb

RadarMan: great analysis on the categories of sheaths (sort of like category 3,4, and 5 hurricanes
smile.gif
)

I wouldn't underestimate the number of sheaths we end up ordering. Yes, I won't be ordering 2000. However (and this shouldn't come as a surprise to most) I'm going to want to order a large quantity to have on hand for regular non-WWIII clients, as well as the SN1 clients. With those, fitting knives to sheaths shouldn't be a problem, as I'll be able to marry a knife to a sheath (instead of the other way around) when somebody orders a WWII or SN1 with an EdgeWorks sheath. Also, Edgeworks sheath orderers will also get the regular Nepali sheath to go with the knife for the non-tactical applications.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Well, I am now in Greenville SC.... luckily there is a computer every where I go
smile.gif

Craig,
Obviously Scott is making the calls on the projects at Edge Works. I will however know more and be in contact with you as soon as the Hurricaine passes and I can get back home to the e-mail mill. I talked with Scott this morning and he said he would be able to get to Edge Works as soon as the general curfew was lifted. That was probably around noon today.

------------------
>)-RadarMan-(<
Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.... Vermont Proverb

Yeah, I agree with having an outlet hole for water.

Also, I just realized that this is history in the making! No one, not ever, has put together a Nepalese khukuri with micarta handles and kydex sheath. Many have dreamed, but none had lived it. I'll bet there will be many made in the years and decades to come. But here and now, we are the very first.

Mark your calendars folks. One day the books will record that shortly before the 21st century, the traditional khukuri evolved to a new level. That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for. . . okay maybe not. But it is pretty cool!
smile.gif

Hello Mr. Gottlieb,

Are there any pictures of the GH WW3?

------------------
K. Williams
kel620@aol.com
Modern Arnis Student

Kelvin: no, sorry but I don't have any pictures yet. I won't even have the blades in for another few weeks. But as soon as they come in, I'll post progress reports with photos - the first being the raw blade before handle and finish.

Tallwinged: as for history-making, I like to think that this will be the answer for the cold steel afficionado who wants a traditionally-bladed khukuri. Sort of the best of both worlds. At least the WWIII won't clash with a MOPP suit!
------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 20 September 1999).]

I'd say that the sheath is very new. The other may open out the top half of the front but that looks to be the only thing they have incommon. Will the other work in a dundee rig, will it carry across the back? Can you land on the other sheath and not get stuck with the knife? No this should be a very different sheath. There has been no knive combination like this one that I have ever heard of. Can anyone prove me wrong on this?

Got the sheath today from Scott Evans. It looks and works great! I'm really swamped right now, but I'll post the design changes after Scott and I have a chance to talk.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

What does EdgeWorks line their sheath with? Cordura, leather?

And have they figured out how to fit the karda and chakma in?

Tallwinged-one: The sheath I saw wasn't lined at all - it was such a snug fit that it wasn't necessary. As for the Chakma and Karda, I think they may not be going along for the ride. The design is such that there's not a lot of room or thickness at the "top" or handle part, of the scabbard. I know that won't be the best thing for purists, but you WILL get the regular sheath and chakmka and karda along with the whole package. So, if you want to go "native" that will always be an option.

Other than that, it's going to come with clips to affix the sheath to an alice pack, and a few other neat features. No - no compasses on the buttcap!
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

There is plenty of room to put the Chakma and Karda on the face of the sheath like on some of the Scottish Dirks with eating knife and fork. I can also visualize a possible way to incorperate traditional position sheaths for them by a redesign of the belt loop. Both options would require another layer of Kydex. Unfortunatley My shop is down and I am working too many jobs to prototype the scabbards.

Not trying to cause any more heartburn but adding thoughts.

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Guns are for show. Knifes are for Pros.

Craig,

I just want to make sure that I'm reading your post correctly. Are you saying that with the WW III, we're going to get two sheaths -- the traditional sheath (made in Nepal), as well as the Edgeworks sheath?

I see I was wrong. The sheath grabs onto the trailing edge. It doesn't touch the ferrule really. Or if it does, it's not integral to the design.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

You`re right it does seem to grip the spine more than anything else. Due to the khuk blade shape I guess locking onto the grip isn`t necessary. However since there is kydex over the what will be the flared top of the WWIII grip I guess it couldn`t hurt either. I`m sure the folks at Edgeworks will do whatever works best. It would be pretty neat if it were secure enough to carry invereted without any extra retaining straps though.
cool.gif
Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 21 December 1999).]

Back