Pics!

What the heck are those guys doing? I would think any kind of sparring with even blunts without any kind of protective padding would be a really bad idea.

Or maybe just no guts no guts. I don't see the attraction in possibly getting hurt because of not having a few elementary safety precautions.

Too dangerous for my tastes. Some kind of safety measures are needed. the problem with guts is it sometimes at the expense of brains.

heh, heh....
kinda makes me wonder what the red stuff is all over the asphalt in the background there!?
smile.gif

LOL!
Of "those guys" I'm the big ugly one on the left.
The "red stuff" on the blades and on the ground is a mixture of cooking oil and carpenter's chalk. We use it to verify hits during tournements. It had rained earlier, so there was a fair amount on the ground. We all thought it gave "atmosphere."

As to safety, we take GREAT pains in that department.
Being aware that even a blunted blade can pierce deeply, we use modified technique and very strict rules, (i.e. no shots to shoulder or higher, no inside thigh shots, all thrusts are done bent wrist, etc.)
Some will still scream that this is unsafe, but the "history" would seem to deny that.
In almost two years, we've had no injury requiring more than a bandaid to fix.
99 percent of all "injuries" come from freshly made burrs in the edges.
No, this is NOT something the untrained should try at home.
Yes, we do have benefit of an English SwordMaster as our coach/instructor, and our Safety Commitee is BRUTAL when it comes to violations or "Unsportsmanlike Conduct."
We do not (cannot) wear safety gear because we are a Living History Group, and such gear would not be consistant with what one would find on the battlefields of Prussia circa 1632.

As a small sidenote, I find it noteworthy that today, the sight of such a thing inspires people to assume insanity or at least stupidity, yet in the heyday of the sword, practice with sharps was the norm. (Most people couldn't afford a dull blade for the sake of practice.)
The theory could easily be advanced that the risk if injury makes one either a better swordsman or at least an uglier one.
biggrin.gif

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

As a rugby player I second your "stupidity" observation Ken! Screw 'em!

You either get better, broken, meaner, or uglier! Is it stupid? probably! but if you want to be run through, I am all for your rights to do so man! I started out ugly anyway!
smile.gif

smile.gif
On occasion, I'm known to go rock-climbing without safety gear. Sure forces you to get better, quickly! I think the same thing would apply to live-blade sparring like this.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

People need to stop the whining about safety. We are all ADULTS! This would suggest the right to make stupid choices. I spent three and a half years skateboarding and have never worn padding. I think every inch of NYC has some of my DNA left on it. *CHUCKLE*
Cool stuff with the rapier and dagger I have always been interedted in theat form of fencing.

Back