Pictures of GSO Colors please?

When the Micarta eventually starts to lighten up, I apply a light coat of food grade mineral oil to both knives and the orig. color comes back.
I keep both blades thinly coated with it and under the scales as well.

DSCN2961_zpskps8yaxl.jpg

Thanks guys for all your participation! So far all the colors looks great and I think it comes down to personal preference. I wasn't sure if I will like the camo canvas Micarta which I asked for on my preorder but so far the pictures of it have been quite beautiful.

I noticed some of you having canvas handles that are natural. I don't see this in the order page. Is it discontinued?

I forgot to ask this as well. Some of you own all 3 materials I believe? Or at least 2 different materials. How is the feel of the different materials in your hand? Does canvas and linen feel different? Visually it looks the same to me.

I think canvas has a lot of grip and texture. Linen to me is almost like g10, but grippy when wet.

I think canvas has a lot of grip and texture. Linen to me is almost like g10, but grippy when wet.

So in your opinion, do you think G-10 is one I should avoid if I intend to do some light chopping? I think it does not offer a very grippy surface, am I right?

So in your opinion, do you think G-10 is one I should avoid if I intend to do some light chopping? I think it does not offer a very grippy surface, am I right?

It would be a personal preference thing, however I know some people wanted to swap out their G-10 on their GSO-10's because of slippage. I have all 3 materials and would agree with what others said: Canvas is the grippiest, g-10 the smoothest. G-10 has the most "visual pop" and canvas is the most muted. I believe in a previous thread Guy said he felt linen was a nice compromise between "visual pop and grippyness"

I think the camo canvas with black you ordered is gonna look really nice FWIW

I forgot to ask this as well. Some of you own all 3 materials I believe? Or at least 2 different materials. How is the feel of the different materials in your hand? Does canvas and linen feel different? Visually it looks the same to me.

Guy or Ellie will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think natural, natural brown and brown canvas are all the same thing. In one form or another that is available for every knife.

Accepted knowledge says canvas is the grippiest/most textured followed by linen and then G10. Guy did say somewhere that he usually avoids G10, but prefers linen on most knives.

To me S! micarta is on the smoother side compared to some other brands. Canvas has texture and definitely grips. The linen doesn't have bumps or grooves that you can feel when rubbing your finger tips on it, but when you grab or squeeze it, it definitely is grippy. G10 itself will be less textured, but remember that the handles are nicely contoured. Some people have been really happy with orange G10 on their GSO 10's.

It would be a personal preference thing, however I know some people wanted to swap out their G-10 on their GSO-10's because of slippage. I have all 3 materials and would agree with what others said: Canvas is the grippiest, g-10 the smoothest. G-10 has the most "visual pop" and canvas is the most muted. I believe in a previous thread Guy said he felt linen was a nice compromise between "visual pop and grippyness"

I think the camo canvas with black you ordered is gonna look really nice FWIW

Guy or Ellie will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think natural, natural brown and brown canvas are all the same thing. In one form or another that is available for every knife.

Accepted knowledge says canvas is the grippiest/most textured followed by linen and then G10. Guy did say somewhere that he usually avoids G10, but prefers linen on most knives.

To me S! micarta is on the smoother side compared to some other brands. Canvas has texture and definitely grips. The linen doesn't have bumps or grooves that you can feel when rubbing your finger tips on it, but when you grab or squeeze it, it definitely is grippy. G10 itself will be less textured, but remember that the handles are nicely contoured. Some people have been really happy with orange G10 on their GSO 10's.
Looks like I am on the right track with Micarta on my 7/7 order. I don't care about visual pop so I guess G-10 is out for me. I care more about practicality and comfort. As you guys already know, I have not a single GSO knife yet so I have no idea how the canvas Micarta would feel like but I just felt it looks different compared to the Micarta on my INFI Ratmandu which I love, but I do prefer the slightly rounded profile of GSO handles.

Well, I am thrilled to have added the 4.1 with green Micarta and FDE sheath just a few minutes ago after watching all the YouTube reviews of the 4.1. I think the smaller size would be great for most finer usage. Always wanted the 5.1 but I missed the preorder so the 4.1 would be here to stay in case I missed the Factory 2nd of the 5.1 which means I will have to wait a real long time for the opening of next 5.1 preorder if any.

If I'm not mistaken the news letter last night said after the pre order starters go out 5.1 will be on the "shelf" so to speak.

And having g10 on all mine, I find doing small task they feel better in my hand. But I prefer the secure grip my linen and canvas give doing heavy or wet jobs.

Hopefully halestorm will chime in with his 3.5 I adore so much. I know its not necessarily a S! color but you can always change and customize your own scales like him.

I have several S!K GSOs. I was concerned that the G10 on my 3.5 CPM20CV was going to be too slippery, but just processed an entire mule deer with it last week, and was pleasantly surprised.

uploadfromtaptalk1445352478827.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the news letter last night said after the pre order starters go out 5.1 will be on the "shelf" so to speak.

And having g10 on all mine, I find doing small task they feel better in my hand. But I prefer the secure grip my linen and canvas give doing heavy or wet jobs.

Hopefully halestorm will chime in with his 3.5 I adore so much. I know its not necessarily a S! color but you can always change and customize your own scales like him.
I saw the newsletter but I wasn't sure what they meant. I had thought they meant there will either be a limited number of 5.1 left after the pre-order or limited factory 2nd. I don't think it will be a huge quantity left so I am not getting too hopeful about that.

I have several S!K GSOs. I was concerned that the G10 on my 3.5 CPM20CV was going to be too slippery, but just processed an entire mule deer with it last week, and was pleasantly surprised.

View attachment 586024
That's nice to know. Thanks for sharing. I had always thought G-10 would be too slippery, especially in your case with blood on your hands from the deer.

That's great news! I hope there are no thousands of buyers. Lol!

I think Ellie said in another thread that they were keeping pre-orders to 1/4th or 1/3th of the knives produced (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). So, if that is the case with the starters as well, you should be in good shape. I still wouldn't waste a lot of time to get the order in once the letter goes out announcing they're for sale though - especially if you're wanting a certain handle/sheath combination. Yesterday with the Necker II release I noticed several handles sold out very quickly.

Thanks guys for all your participation! So far all the colors looks great and I think it comes down to personal preference. I wasn't sure if I will like the camo canvas Micarta which I asked for on my preorder but so far the pictures of it have been quite beautiful.

I noticed some of you having canvas handles that are natural. I don't see this in the order page. Is it discontinued?

I always mess up on the scale colors! They are natural brown canvas for sure!

Back