PICTURES OF THE MATRIARCH!

FINALLY!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I've got the photos of the prototype Spyderco Matriarch. Well, I MUST be mad, because I had to drive 143km to take the pics, but I suppose I DID promise you fellow forumites that I'd post them...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Just one problem, BF will only accept LINKS to pictures on websites (not the actual pictures themselves), and I don't have a website where I can post the pics.
frown.gif
Can anyone possibly help (Spark, etc.)?

In the meantime, you are free to EMAIL me at "heynsv@liw.denel.co.za" if you would like to receive the pics via EMAIL...

Please keep in mind that I will be away from 16 April for about 8 to 10 weeks
frown.gif
, (this EMAIL account will only sporadically be serviced), so PLEASE act quickly in your EMAIL replies!

Heyns sent me the pics so here are your first glimpses.
Prototype_Matriarch_small.jpg

This next one is the Civilian and the Matriarch.
Civilian_Matriarch_small.jpg

Go to the Spyderco Matriarch & Pals Pictures page www.solcon.com/Matriarch/matriarch.htm for more of Heyns' pics together with links to full-sized versions of the ones above.

Note: I took the liberty of changing the brightness level of Heyns' pictures to bring out more handle detail. As a result, handles may not appear as "black" as they are in reality.

Thanks again, Heyns.

------------------
--+Brian+--

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 15 April 1999).]

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 15 April 1999).]

Phew. If the amount of responses that I've received on the Matriarch Pics EMAIL offer is anything to go on, I'd reckon Sal's going to make a FORTUNE with this model!!
biggrin.gif
Any new EMAIL requests for the pics might take a while from now on, as I'm leaving in about 15 minutes' time. Rather keep an eye on the thread, as numerous forumites offered to post links to the pics here on BF (with maybe a small pic or two on BF itself, as an appetiser...)
wink.gif
smile.gif
(I see Brian was the first to respond... Thanks for posting them!!)

I'm CLEARLY not much of a photographer (but I AM A SPYDERNUT!!
wink.gif
), hopefully you will be able to see from the pics what the Matriarch pow-wow is all about.

I'll try to get a web connection (to BF) early next week, if anyone has questions. The EMAIL account given above will only be serviced once every two or three weeks, though (for the next 10 weeks)
frown.gif
frown.gif

I got an e-mail full too. Thanks!

Civilian_Matriarch_Harpy.jpg

The "Harpy" is actually a Merlin, but it's the same blade as the Harpy.

The tip of the Matriarch's blade looks more like the tip of the Merlin/Harpy, less of a snagglebeak than the Civilian, though the Matriarch shown is plain-edged.

Hmmm . . . If a plain-edge Cricket is one of the best paper cutters and letter openers in Spyderco's line, would bigger be better? Gotta have a plain edge Matriarch too! More SKU's!

Quick! Think of mundane and wholesome and politically correct uses for the Matriarch in the US market! We're all growing mushrooms, right?

And of course, with the Cricket in the line, and now the Matriarch, we need a medium size
S-curve Spyderco too, don't we? Can we call the Delica-size companion to the Matriarch the Handmaid?

Yesssss! More SKU's!!!
Oy! Back to work! It's 4/15 and I'm late!

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 18 May 1999).]

You know, I'm pleasantly surprised.

The Matriarch is much less nasty looking than I expected, especially in plain edge. It has nowhere near the Klingon battle implement look of the Civilian.

The angle of the curve isn't as radical, and although designed with self defense in mind, could also serve a utility role (doing tasks I wouldn't consider with a Civilian).

Nice design work Sal. This looks like a functional winner.

I definitely want a couple of these in plain edge.

Joel

These pictures potrray the Civilian and Matriarch blades as almost identical in size. According to previous posts, I thought the Matriarch was going to be a smaller knife.

I Don't think there is plain edge version scheduled. (Sorry, I always sorta felt that if you didn't have Spyderteeth, you were "gumming" your way through life. But I'm keeping an open mind). Danelle, please check with Susan. I guess it might still be possible to make the BF version in Plain edge, or at least some of them???

Thanx much Heyns. That was a lot of effort that you extended for the forumites. "Just suits me down to the ground".
sal

Do we know a price? That's some knife!

Innocuous uses:
1. Mushrooms--I don't grow 'em, I hunt morels just like thousands of others in Illinois!
2. Whittling--looks like a folding version of my dad's hawkbill wood knife.
3. SEAT BELT cutting for emergencies . . .
4. Sentry removal . . .
Uhhhh . . . you should probably ignore that last one . . . .

smile.gif

I hadn't seen a Civilian before. Looks to me like the Matriarch will have a much stronger tip and thus be much more "tactical" in fact if not appearance.

Well, I'm impressed with this model now that I've had a chance to see these photos. Also, I now see what a couple of you were talking about in the thread I started a little while back that asked about making a larger Cricket. At that point I'd not seen good pictures of the civilian and thought its blade was more like the Merlin/harpy. Anyway, I'm probably going to get one of the Matriarchs just so I can get out of my seat belts. Thanks for making these available to us Sal.

Question - Would a combo-edged version of the Matriarch make sense? Plain edged out near the tip for neat cutting of paper and cloth and such on the pull stroke, and toothy on the convex curve so it will bite into whatever your're slicing? No, I haven't thought it through myself.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

I generally prefer plain edge myself but, even given the choice on this one, I'd opt for fully-serrated. My Cricket money clip needs a big sister.
smile.gif

------------------
--+Brian+--

James - The only real disadvantage to the "hook" style blades is the possibility of "snagging". The solution to this is a very sharp edge. a "Sharp toothy" edge seems to "clear" these snags more effectively.

In Nature, the talon of a bird of prey is not a slashing instrument, it is a piercing tool. Penetrates the heart and lungs around the spine.

We plan the model only in full serrations and recommend that it be kept sharp.
sal

For tools like the Civilian and family, serrated really seems right to me.

Especially since they ae special use....

And the Matriarch is really going to be a look-at knife due to it's limited nature.

------------------
Check out the future possible Spyderco Worker 2000 www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures, look for it right here at BladeForums.com.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"A journey of a thousand miles begins but with a single step" Lao-Tzu

Sal:

How about if you make it toothy, but make one plain-edge version on a limited run, which will then be named the Worker 2000? That could solve a couple of your problems at once, and Poff Daddy's probably too far gone by now to catch on.

If you all think a Civilian is intimidating, imagine Poff Daddy weaving his way down a sidewalk, hair everywhere, 3-day beard, and wild eyes, carrying a Matriarch and muttering to himself in a low, singsong voice:
"Wanted a Worker 2000. That's not a Worker 2000. They think they can shut me up with a freakin' Matriarch but they'll see. They'll all pay . . . . but first, gotta get the chip out of my nose and lose the spies . . . ."
Suddenly he accosts a young lady, waving the Matriarch and raving:
"It's a freaking Matriarch! Can't you see? This is no Worker 2000, it's a Matriarch, they thought it would fool me but the voices are on my side. You're all so blind!"

It wouldn't be scary if there weren't a grain of truth.
smile.gif

Chad,

I must admit, I am salivating a little, but am pretty well pacified by the postman delivery of an Aluminum Civilian Saturday. Since Saturday, I've gone through a change of life. I don't know how it happened, it was so fast. But somehow I now prefer the Hawk Bill style blade and I will most likely get a Matriarch.
Thanks for the help.
Nick

I too, must have at least one Matriarch now that I've seen the pics! I have no problem with the fully serrated blade, but if a special run of combo-edges were to be made, I would have to obtain one out of curiosity!

I like the look of the Matriarch. I think a combo blade would be a great option.

Back