Pictures Of Your Cold Steel

Im curious as to what you were doing. I think this iteration of the Espada is more for looks really, and the bead blasted, black grippy g-10 version is more of a user. I learned some respect for this blade when I took it out of my pocket using the wave when my hands were sweaty once. I only was able to get a pincher grip on the very end of the handle and the blade didnt open all the way and instead slammed back closed because of the strong detent, nicking my index finger. Very small injury compared to yours but it bled like hell. Honestly I dont carry it as much as my older big folders because of the slippery scales.

Thanks for your input. You bring up a valid point. However, despite the grippier handle texture, I found the ergos of the new G10 version to be, quite frankly, awful. Before I purchased the above-referenced aluminum bolster version, I had previously owned the new XL G10 version, with the black DLC coated blade in CTS-XHP.

The ergos were a complete joke, considering how incredibly blade heavy and unwieldy it was, mostly due to the flat, relatively thin, light, insufficiently lined and flimsy handle, expected to support such a massive blade. Moreover, the handle was also very uncomfortable due to its lack of adequate radiusing. A blade of that magnitude NEEDS to be supported by a stable, radiused and substantial handle. Would its grippy G10 finger choil have prevented my specific injury? Yes, most likely. But, it's absurd unwieldiness would have probably resulted in my death from self impalement, or at a minimum sheer exhaustion and immense hand pain from that "what were they thinking?" ridiculously insubstantial handle.

The damn thing would rock back and forth, at the handle. I have of course experienced blade play as to some of my other knives of various sizes over the years, but this engineering nightmare actually suffered from HANDLE PLAY. LOL. That's a first, for me. I could maybe, and that's a big maybe, get past the thinness and flatness, as well as the squared off edges. But without full steel or aluminum liners and a better balance point to offset the blade heaviness while reducing the flimsy feeling of the handle, it was absolutely useless and somewhat dangerous, to the user.

The Large version of the new G10 model suffered from the same shit handle, but the smaller and lighter blade made it more tolerable, though I found the ergos to still leave much to be desired.

After years of trials and tribulations, the special edition Rawles Voyager and Lynn's special edition chainsaw Vaquero are probably the best of the 5.5 inch blade bunch, as they come in the upgraded CTS-XHP steel, have great ergos and grip, yet are fully lined, while remaining relatively light. Plus, the price is right. Winning.

Thanks for your input. You bring up a valid point. However, despite the grippier handle texture, I found the ergos of the new G10 version to be, quite frankly, awful. Before I purchased the above-referenced aluminum bolster version, I had previously owned the new XL G10 version, with the black DLC coated blade in CTS-XHP.

The ergos were a complete joke, considering how incredibly blade heavy and unwieldy it was, mostly due to the flat, relatively thin, light, insufficiently lined and flimsy handle, expected to support such a massive blade. Moreover, the handle was also very uncomfortable due to its lack of adequate radiusing. A blade of that magnitude NEEDS to be supported by a stable, radiused and substantial handle. Would its grippy G10 finger choil have prevented my specific injury? Yes, most likely. But, it's absurd unwieldiness would have probably resulted in my death from self impalement, or at a minimum sheer exhaustion and immense hand pain from that "what were they thinking?" ridiculously insubstantial handle.

The damn thing would rock back and forth, at the handle. I have of course experienced blade play as to some of my other knives of various sizes over the years, but this engineering nightmare actually suffered from HANDLE PLAY. LOL. That's a first, for me. I could maybe, and that's a big maybe, get past the thinness and flatness, as well as the squared off edges. But without full steel or aluminum liners and a better balance point to offset the blade heaviness while reducing the flimsy feeling of the handle, it was absolutely useless and somewhat dangerous, to the user.

The Large version of the new G10 model suffered from the same shit handle, but the smaller and lighter blade made it more tolerable, though I found the ergos to still leave much to be desired.

After years of trials and tribulations, the special edition Rawles Voyager and Lynn's special edition chainsaw Vaquero are probably the best of the 5.5 inch blade bunch, as they come in the upgraded CTS-XHP steel, have great ergos and grip, yet are fully lined, while remaining relatively light. Plus, the price is right. Winning.

I am sorry for your accident. I've also gotten ugly nicks from XL Folders and they ain't no joke.
Hope it heals fast and well. I also think it's more for looks than actual use, and all the Espadas I own are G10 for that reason.

PS: I love my Rawles and have been looking for the LE Vaquero unsuccessfully for months, would you be so kind to post some pics of that coated chainsaw? Much appreciated :thumbsup:

My favorite CS knife ever, maybe my favorite knife ever...

f7urm.jpg

:eek: I don't have any of the huge XL Espada . The big Raj and the Holdout are about as large as I can use or want to carry . The Large 5.5" blade G10 Espada is one of my favorite EDC . Never had any problem with the ergos . But people vary in their individual biometrics and in how they use tools . Of course if a tool hurts you, always blame the tool . :rolleyes:

:eek: I don't have any of the huge XL Espada . The big Raj and the Holdout are about as large as I can use or want to carry . The Large 5.5" blade G10 Espada is one of my favorite EDC . Never had any problem with the ergos . But people vary in their individual biometrics and in how they use tools . Of course if a tool hurts you, always blame the tool . :rolleyes:

Very weird reply, considering I clearly stated it was the shiny aluminum bolster version and not the G10 version, upon which my finger sailed over the slippery choil. In fact, I admitted the superior grip of the G10 version would have PREVENTED the injury. Your cute emoticons or whatever they are called failed to obscure your lack of reading comprehension skills.

Very weird reply, considering I clearly stated it was the shiny aluminum bolster version and not the G10 version, upon which my finger sailed over the slippery choil. In fact, I admitted the superior grip of the G10 version would have PREVENTED the injury. Your cute emoticons or whatever they are called failed to obscure your lack of reading comprehension skills.
:cool: Please try to comprehend that you can only benefit from your experience to the extent that you honor it by taking personal responsibility . Then you can learn from your mistakes rather than repeat them . Only then does your pain have value and deserve respect . ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

:cool: Please try to comprehend that you can only benefit from your experience to the extent that you honor it by taking personal responsibility . Then you can learn from your mistakes rather than repeat them . Only then does your pain have value and deserve respect . ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hahaa. Another extremely weird reply. But at least this one was predictable. Reciting cliche and inapposite words of self-evident and painfully obvious wisdom, is a patently ineffective substitute for a relevant, applicable or appropriate response. You don't have a license to twist and contort the substance and meaning of actual words in order to offer a reply that once again demonstrates either a fundamental lack of reading comprehension skills, or more likely, a propensity to ignore actual words, or to twist and contort them so as to befit your reply, with which, as a matter of fact, I fully agree.

Of course I am solely and exclusively responsible for injuring myself. Moreover, I seek not respect, as you wrongfully assumed. Rather, I merely shared my experience with fellow knife enthusiasts and users, which you wrongfully interpreted 2x now as an attempt to instead absolve or discharge myself of ultimate blame. I pointed out a specific structural deficiency of a knife, which, incredibly, was not even the knife you mistakenly referenced in your former post. It is a structural deficiency that increases the likelihood of injury if one makes the same MISTAKE as I, and uses the knife for one of its intended purposes, as purported by Cold Steel, pursuant to video footage and literature specific to the knife in question.

We, as a knife enthusiast and user community, have a de facto obligation to convey our findings to one another, especially when our findings run afoul of video and written materials specific to a knife. But you chose to instead entirely misinterpret sharing my experience in connection with a knife, as shifting the ultimate blame thereto, while you also explicitly made reference to the wrong knife. Wow. Lol!

As you've now made it abundantly clear you either enjoy offering random, judgmental and self-serving replies, or, suffer a massive lack of reading comprehension skills, I at least now know not to further take you seriously. But thank you for the laugh.

Last edited:
Hahaa. Another extremely weird reply. But at least this one was predictable. Reciting cliche and inapposite words of self-evident and painfully obvious wisdom, is a patently ineffective substitute for a relevant, applicable or appropriate response. You don't have a license to twist and contort the substance and meaning of actual words in order to offer a reply that once again demonstrates either a fundamental lack of reading comprehension skills, or more likely, a propensity to ignore actual words, or to twist and contort them so as to befit your reply, with which, as a matter of fact, I fully agree.

Of course I am solely and exclusively responsible for injuring myself. Moreover, I seek not respect, as you wrongfully assumed. Rather, I merely shared my experience with fellow knife enthusiasts and users, which you wrongfully interpreted 2x now as an attempt to instead absolve or discharge myself of ultimate blame. I pointed out a specific structural deficiency of a knife, which, incredibly, was not even the knife you mistakenly referenced in your former post. It is a structural deficiency that increases the likelihood of injury if one makes the same MISTAKE as I, and uses the knife for one of its intended purposes, as purported by Cold Steel, pursuant to video footage and literature specific to the knife in question.

We, as a knife enthusiast and user community, have a de facto obligation to convey our findings to one another, especially when our findings run afoul of video and written materials specific to a knife. But you chose to instead entirely misinterpret sharing my experience in connection with a knife, as shifting the ultimate blame thereto, while you also explicitly made reference to the wrong knife. Wow. Lol!

As you've now made it abundantly clear you either enjoy offering random, judgmental and self-serving replies, or, suffer a massive lack of reading comprehension skills, I at least now know not to further take you seriously. But thank you for the laugh.
;) Please continue on the path you've chosen of martial practice without the knowledge or experience to take proper precautions or use proper technique . But next time it would be great if you'd video your fails for our edification .:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back