Pipe Cleaners?

Does anyone else use pipe cleaners to clean out the interior of pinned knives? I started using them to clean out the nooks and crannies of my firearms and thought why not knives.

i usually use a toothpick, i have heard of people using a paper match.

i might try pipe cleaners though, that's a good idea.

I have been using pipe cleaners for years to clean inside of my knives. I can't claim the credit for this because I read about this in Blade magazine years ago. It works great. I will use the pipe cleaner with alcohol to clean and then use it to apply a very lite coat of rust preventive such as Tuff Glide or Breakfree or Ballistol. I can't tell you how many knives I have examined over the years that had rust and crud inside the knife.

RKH

Pipe cleaners and cotton swabs are great for cleaning a lot of things.

Old toothbrushes and toothpicks as well.

Straightened paperclips can be good. Take one to the grinder and put a point on it for a nice sharp disposable pick.

I just put a few drops of Dawn at the joint and the inside of the backsprings and brush it with a stiff bristle toothbrush under hot water.Rinse it under real hot water and it comes out great.

I like to think that I invented using pipe cleaners to clean out pocket knives. (It's not true, but I like to think it is.) I've been doing it for about 50 years. I particularly used it alot when I used to recondition switchblades for the local juvenile delinquents.

Back