Pipe Hawk from gun barrel

Who makes hawks from gun barrels....I may have a deal for someone. I have an old caplock rifle that was destroyed by my sister when she was very young (she is now 62 knocked it over down a set of stairs, stock is broken). It was very old when it was given to my father. It was non-functional at the time more of a wall hanger but still old has curly maple stock.

I want to make a deal with someone. Based on lock design probably from mid to late 19th century. It can't really be used as wall hanger. I want a pipe hawk out it and maybe a knife. The maker can have the rest of the barrel for their use. Barrel is at least 36 inches long. They would get the lock stock and barrel, in return I want a pipe hawk and knife....the stock could be used for handles on the knife...I am not sure it could be used on the hawk. Simple design would like the brass from the trigger guard used.

Anybody up to this???

How about Steve at Coal Creek?

See additional information on the "deal" below, someone pointed out that I left something out.....like the money angle.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good deal! Then again, I'm not a blacksmith, so my vote is pretty much worthless. Haha.

I have no idea how long it takes anyone else, but it takes me 20 hours plus to forge a steel spike tomahawk and carve a simple handle. A pipehawk, even from a hollow forge welded tube, would take longer, not even including a forged knife.
If you get someone to go for that deal, try seeing if they'll mow your yard and wash your car too.

If you do find someone willing to make you a nice pipe hawk in exchange for parts off a $50 gun, please post the maker's name here so we can do the same. :)

Is the barrel damascus?

Ok I guess I didn't add a line, my mistake. I assumed someone would say to me "How about this, you give me the lock, stock, and barrel and X amount of dollars and we'll have a deal". I know just offering the lock, stock, and barrel would not pay for the cost of making the hawk but it might defray the total cost a little plus I thought I might share with the maker to have a barrel old enough where the nipple was not screwed in but forged as part of the barrel....I can't find the seam where it might screw in.

I don't believe it is damascus or at least I cant see the layering on the barrel outside. The style of gun reminds me of some Pennsylvania influence on the maker, but then the lock is a cheap english style (my uncle tried repairing the stock, long ago), the original lock was lost.

I also want to thank the proofreaders on here for pointing out my mistake in my original post....

Last edited:
Hex barrel old forging, not european. I am familiar with European twist damascus, it has a different feel weight to size ratio. This barrel is different .36 to .40 ca; maybe even slightly bigger but not a .45. I'll try to post pics. Thanks for your interest Steve.

Hex barrel old forging, not european. I am familiar with European twist damascus, it has a different feel weight to size ratio. This barrel is different .36 to .40 ca; maybe even slightly bigger but not a .45. I'll try to post pics. Thanks for your interest Steve.

Lookin forward to some Pic's,end shot of the barrel will be helpful

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010010-2.jpg

Just make sure it ain't loaded yet, before you go applying heat to it! :)

Really it looks like it was a nice piece at one time. Is there any way to find out more about the gun and its history, before it's destroyed?

This thread has made me smile from the first time it was posted and there were no replies then.

Now I am smiling for other reasons (all of them good!).

Well done guys.

Wow, that barrel looks good, maybe it's real wrought iron? I saw some pictures on the internet a couple years ago (can't find right now though) of Squire Boone's pipe tomahawk.It had a steel bit forge welded into the cutting edge and the inside of the pipe bowl still clearly showed the rifling, which i thought made it extra nice.
If that's a brass sight just above your thumb, imo it would really be cool if you could temporarily remove it and then put it back on the pipe bowl once forged.

Back