Pistol help.....

Monofletch

Basic Member
I am in the market for a new pistol. My LEO friend tells me to look a Stoeger Cougar or a new Taurus G2. I want a med or full frame and I really like "full figured" grips. :D From what I have read the Stoeger Cougar is very reliable and damn accurate for a $300 pistola.

I am on a budget, so I want to get the best gun for my $$$. Are there any other lower budget pistols I should consider?

Thanks

Along with the Stoeger and the Taurus, you might want to check out the Bersa postols. All good weapons on a budget.

When you say new pistol, do you mean NIB, new to you, or a different model than what you might already have? Are we talking something that's going to see recreational use, or be used in a defensive capacity?

Yep, Maybe home defense, tent defense, and hiking, but 90% for fun- If it gets beat up who cares. I have more expensive pistols if I want 'fancy'. I'd buy used too if that's what you are asking.

I carried the 92F for a LONG time in the ARMY. The Stoeger reminds me of the good old days without the $700 price tag.

I've handled a few Canik pistols, and they feel great for the price. The reviews are pretty positive as well.

Hi Monofletch -

You can watch Buds Gun Shop web site, one of my buddies bought a 92 Police turn-in for not much more than the Stoeger is going for - the gun was in great shape and shoots flawlessly.

I don't have experience with the Stoeger brand, but the reviews seem to be positive.

I assume you like the traditional double action with a decocker, which is a popular action. The Bersa Thunder is a smaller version of what is essentially the Beretta 92 design, traditional double action, and a decocker and they are reasonably priced and much more concealable than the full sized 92. The Bersa is a .380 acp caliber, not sure if you are pretty much set on 9mm.

I just checked Buds Police Turn-In page and they have Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm with three 17 round magazines for $359 - not too bad for a USA made, full sized piece.

Good luck, there are a lot of great options available to us shooters today!

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Thunder PRO can be had in 9mm and 17+1!!! Not too far out of my price range!

I love the Bersa Thunder and really want one, more for my wife, but I'd like to shoot it too, but I wouldn't put it in the full size catagory, more of a pocket pistol! Nuntnfancy reviewed it an lauded it and he generally hates .380's!

If you want a reliable beater, scrounge around on Armslist for a Ruger P series pistol. Those old Ruger P85's are tougher than hammers, and can be found pretty regularly for around $250.

And pass on the Taurus. Some of them are gems, and some are garbage. They're too hit and miss to recommend for my money.

I had an SR40C - got it as my sponsor gift for a FONRA banquet - it was a great shooter right out of the box. Smooth recoil, great grip ergos. I am getting spoiled with guns that have a takedown lever though, did not love the takedown procedure for the lil Ruger.

Can't complain about the shooting though. Traded it to a friend for a PSA lower and build kit for an AR Pistol.

best

mqqn

What EVER you do... go to somewhere locally that you can handle whatever pistol model you're looking at. Handle it and see if it fits your hand and is comfortable. Or you WILL HATE IT and loose money/time!

I run a Taurus PT/OSS 24/7 model with a TLR-2 with trijicon nightsites (batteries can die, lasers can be bumped) in .40 cal with PDX Self Defense Ammo.... Love that pistol. I bought it after numerous reviews, and personal caliper chose. Ammo chose was after weeks of research into ammo performance.. aka don't kill your neighbor if you miss the bad guy. In the Conceal Carry course I took, it was briefed- FBI research indicates that in a CC firing.. shooters only hit 20% of bullets fired on the bad guy. If you do have an incident, remember that your decisions/research now can save you YEARS possibly behind bars. "Well, Your Honor... I pulled out my .50 caliber Desert Eagle and shot him 5 times at point blank." You don't need to kill the bad guy behind the fridge.. at your neighbors house! But if you use a .22 you may have a bad guy with a knife shoving it between your ears. Take the time to do it right; get hands on before your purchase. The more comfortable you are with your pistol, the more you'll use it.

Do your research into EXACTLY what you want/expect the pistol to do/performance wise. You're putting your life, and others into this decision; don't make it too quickly!

Look for LEO trade-in guns. My next choice would be a S&W SD pistol. I also have a Ruger P95dc that has been great. I would never buy a gun with an internal key lock or a mag disconnect for anything serious.

Back