Pistol whipping - was that your article a few years ago, CJ?

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
I seem to remember an article a few years back on pistol whipping, and for some reason your name pops into my head.

If I remember correctly, the author had a specially modified 1911 that had a bent metal "shroud" that would prevent the pistol from going out of battery if pressed against someone.

Anyone remember this? Damn senility! :D

Kevin

Never saw the article, but it sounds like an alternative force block was installed on the pistol. What magazine was it in? Thanks.
Peter

Dang. I don't have any of my old mags, anymore.
I remember that 1911 with the frame extension/muzzle guard (wasn't it called the "something" CQB or CQB "something"?). Pretty sure that was in American Handgunner, because I recall some awesome pics. One version had a spike on the front, and I think some studs along the side, of the frame extension. Seems like there were 2 or 3 1911s done up in similar fashion.

Can't remember who wrote it, or who built the guns:(

That's the one Owen - glad I'm not going nuts. I don't remember the mag either, and tossed all my old gun rags a few weeks back.

Now that I think about it, it could have been Dennis Chalker in the articles, but then again, my memory is very fuzzy.

The article was by Pete Kokalis in the Aug.'98 issue of SOF. The Alternative Force Block was developed by Chris Caracci, and made by DVC Armaments, a subsidiary of G.G.&G..

There is a pic of Denny Chalker and Harry Humphries demonstrating the use of the AFB. Harry is the head of GSGI, and Denny is an instructor with GSGI.

www.gggaz.com

GSGI can be reached at 310-637-7166

I also remember a Custom 1911 in another magazine like GUNS or something that had a mainspring housing with a spike protruding from the bottom. Talk about pounding the piss out of someone, "You get the point?" Whew...

Well I remember a while back (I think that it was American Rifleman) Where there was something like a bolt on/snap on handguard that was studded and went over the bottom three fingers and over the front of the trigger guard.

it looked like something out of a si-fi movie or something built for trench warefare.

I just wish that I remember wehre I saw it.

I have the magazine in question that the article appeared in. It is in my F*^%$#@n attic and I cannot find it right now. The pistol was modified by ZM weapons. It had a contact block mounted on the front of the slide to prevent the pistol from going out of battery in the event of a contact shot. The spike protruding from the magazine well was NOT to be used for hitting, but for weapon retention. Sort of like a kubotan. The magazine called the pistol... *ahem* The Skull Crusher!- *sigh* (ignorance is bliss)

Originally posted by Don Rearic
I also remember a Custom 1911 in another magazine like GUNS or something that had a mainspring housing with a spike protruding from the bottom. Talk about pounding the piss out of someone, "You get the point?" Whew...

I think that's the same one. Remembered the spiked mainspring housing when reading your post.

I'd hate to "get the point" on a quick mag change, though:(

Yep, spiked MS housings are bound to stand out in peoples' memories! I remember this thing, too. Seems to me it was Teddy Jacobson (Actions by T), but it may have been somone else. First time I've seen the "standoff" muzzle block accessory, though. Could be useful, maybe for someone like a tunnel rat? Or a blind person! :)

Generally, I don't regard these things too highly and liken them to the multi-bladed, knuckle-guarded fantasy creations in Bud K catalogs or grade B sci-fi flicks.

On the other hand, muzzle contact fighting techniques might make sense, but especially for the smaller calibers--to add muzzle blast and burn wounding to the trauma mechanisms. Screwed into someone's neck or gut, these could magnify what little power the "mouse guns" have, as well as .38 snubs.

As for using handguns as impact weapons, it should be thought out, so that you don't incapacitate the weapon by bending the trigger guard or something. I would tend to use a gun as a sap only if I ran out of ammo or if I had no time to clear a malfunction/jam. Then anything heavy in my hand could be useful--just like a Motorola radio.

Smart folks give thought to using their long arms as contact weapons, so why not handguns? Makes sense, but not to the extent of some of the "radical surgery" that is out there. Study the possibilities mainly to maximize force in an emergency, and to reduce the liklihood of damaging the weapon.

As for using a loaded, functional handgun as a sap, that will generally be regarded as a "no-no." If you are not justified in using deadly force, why do you have a gun in your hand? It will be difficult enough to defend your "conventional" armed S-D actions in court, let alone something most police are probably taught NEVER to do. This ain't the fifties no more! Keep in mind the possibility of a negligent discharge upon striking an attacker and where that bullet might go--into a bystander?

This doesn't mean that using a loaded gun as a sap is never a good thing, just that it needs a lot of further thought, and is probably way low on the list of training which will "save the day," at least for the average person.

Karl

Back