Pistols or Revolvers

OK here's the deal.
I'm really interested in Mr. Caracci's opinion, but feel free to pipe in. For pure defense which one is better. As I see it the revolver is better for several reasons. For one the revolver is more compact and is therefore easier to conceal and manipulate. Also I beleive that they are much more reliable. Their is virtually nothing to go wrong with the revolvers short of "Operator Error". The only drawbacks that I can think of are increased recoil and fewer rounds. But then again if I cant hit what I'm aiming for with 6 or however many rounds than I probably shouldn't be shooting. Having said all that I have had little experience with either so any advice would be appreciated.

I have run the gambit, owning .45 autos and .357 revolvers, and if I were expecting to go into a REALLY nasty fight, like open warfare, then I would probably want an auto (second to a rifle).

Now having said that, my current house/carry piece is a .357 S&W.

The reason is I don't expect to ever be on an open battlefield, and for normal criminal repellent, I figure this one will do just fine.
I have put so many rounds through it that it feels like a part of my hand when I pick it up.

It's the weapons system that counts, Not the "weapon".

Whatever gives the operator means (physical, mental, psychological, emotional) to effect his objectives is a correct choice.

Sounds as if you like revolvers.

Means you might practice more with one...
be more skilled/accurate...
know your weapon's strengths/weaknesses...
be able to "trust" your ability to neutralize the target...
have the confidence to employ violence of action when it is neeeded.

All of these things improve the weapons system, and have little to do with the "weapon of choice".

It is possible to debate endlessly about "handgun A is better because of it's widget architecture." and that's great fun.

But don't forget that operator headspace and timing is the first adjustment necessary when using a weapon system.

for home defense i would use a revolver, for concealed carry a glock 27 or similiar. Just my .02

Being able to be fired at contact range is a big advantage too... autos risk getting knocked out of battery or having the slide jam up on contact. Be able to cycle to a live round if a dud fails is an advantage. Revolvers cannot "limp wrist" and are more ammo tolerant. They are front heavy so they tend to orient downward in a lose holster or pocket carry... pistols requiring better rigs for retention usually. Recoil and compactness is relative so I don't think those qualify as advantages.

Revolvers, however, have the downside of failure being catastrophic (highly unlikely to be able to resolve in combat)... which probably has less direct self-defense effect (unlikely to happen) than the fact that when someone goes to the range and their revolver gets jammed, their session is effectively over and they'll be less likely to practice with that weapon than with an auto which in which failures should be easier to clear. For CCW, many autos are slimmer than revolvers too.

Ultimately the best gun is the one you carry and practice with.

15 in the mag. 1 in the pipe. 10 more on the side.

Camillus CQB-1 IWB carry appendix.

M3 light on "weak" side.

Danner Acadias for ankle support when running away in case the aforementioned tools aren't enough...:)

You use what works best for you. I like 45 auto's but others don't. The real trick is to have a reliable gun that you are fast and accurate with. Shoot a few different types and see which ones you like.

Just remember this old addage:
"It is better to hit with a .22 than miss with a .44."

;)

I think xian said it best.

I got nothing to add other than your name cracks me up.
very:cool:

Well I'm still wanting more info on buying my first handgun (since I can't find a H&K VP70)

And personially (after shooting my friends beretta 92fs elite, and my mom's Rossi .357 stainless revolver) I prefer the Revolver, because it just seems more comfortable to me and easier to manipulate.

(besides that I'm waiting for Glock to make a .357 magnum auto)

Oh and I'm still wanting a Desert Eagle, but I have been hearing some bad problems about them, are they really reliable, or really don't lead up to they hype?

if ya want a glock 357 get a mod 31,32, or 33 in 357SIG, they are, ballistically, the same (actually the SIG round will shoot a 125gr bullet faster, it weighs the same, same OD, less recoil, a helluva gun - i carry a 32C and a 33 compact every day and love them........a loud gun to shoot though, lol, esp the 33 compact, but very reliable, accurate, even in the compact version - i cant see what the diff is between the 357MAG/SIG, unless ya wanna use heavy bullets, which most people dont in a mag anyway, the 125 and 110 are the favs if i understand correctly - and recoil from the glock is much less than my SW 586 4" bbl w/125 feds, too - and no, zero, nada jam in eithe rone(glock 357SIGs)(except one which can be traced to the ammo, a dud remington 125 JHP round, and it fired on the second strike, but suprised me remington would have a dud round in a new calibre like that, couldnt have been on the shelf long...)

sifu

MyNameUsed,
Well, how could I not answer this? I appreciate your consideration and respect on wanting me to reply.
As always, we have quite a gallery here sometimes the information isn't all that bad and sometimes it isn't all that good.
At any rate, I have a great fondness of revolvers; the best warrior should be equally capable with many tools.
My biggest problem with revolvers is weight, and concealability, I have always had a problem with getting the cylinder out from underneath my belt, but I admit I carry my weapons in some unusual ways sometimes.
As I have already stated my favorite caliber is .357 however the guy who keeps pushing the Sig doesn’t get it, a S&W 686 has a much different felt recoil than a Sig and that can make a big difference.
The comment about malfunctions and being knocked out of battery is very relevant and accurate. I would add that generally people find revolvers more accurate, depending on the gun; it could be because tolerances are closer or just the ease of firing.
Reloading is a big issue; although one can learn how to reload as fast as an auto the reloading devices are often very bulky.
If you look at a snub nose (less than 2" barrel) remember that it is a belly gun and with that short barrel it makes it easy to miss your target.
In the end as always, I will not tell you which way to go but if you can carry a revolver, then I would look at an S&W 686 or the short barrel model with a 7 rd cylinder (I do not know the model number).

Back