playing with knives...

Well, I'm the kind of guy that can't leave well enough alone. So I've been messing around with my knives lately. I decided to pull the Micarta handle off of my Mineral Mountain JG Tactical. In their stead, I fitted on some (birdseye?) maple burl slabs. I used aluminum rods for pins and poured in about a gallon of Watco oil (the slabs just kept sucking it up!). The end result is not a professional job by any means, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I also did some creative patination of the steel. I used Ferric Chloride, along with resist to create an uneven pattern on the blade. I'm not sure about it, but it was a good learning experience. (By the way, the darkened finish is quite strong, and scratch-resistant)

jgburl2a.jpg

Later...!

I didn't think you could improve on Ted's work, but that's awesome! The blade looks almost like Damascus, very cool.

Thanks! I don't know about improving on Ted's work though- the fit and finish on the original handles was a lot nicer than my attempt. But hey, this is how people get better right?

I was trying to duplicate the qualities I like about damascus, but I didn't get very close. I figure that if I keep experimenting, maybe I'll be able to do some nicer finishes with patinas one day. We'll see...

Thanks again!

Nicely done. The birds eye and the almost damascus look of the blade go together well.

Thanks Tom and Chuck! I loved working with the maple burl- when it took shape and was oiled, the wood just came alive!

lol! John, once again, your work is AWESOME! A perfect combination. Those scales look beautifull and coupled with the blade etch/design, it looks incredible. It makes me actually want one when before I had no desire to own that knife. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

That scale is gorgeous, Kumdo! I really like it. May have to reserve judgement on the blade treatment. I like it, but am not sure more than a satin.

Re the grips -- what is Watco oil? Is it a tung oil type stuff? I'm also puzzled by "pouring it in." Is that just a bit of hyperbole for a spongelike sucking up of the oil?

Gosh I like wood burls. It is so amazing that something basically so ugle can contain so much beauty inside!

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! I'm amazed as well by the beauty hidden in burls. Watco is very similar to Tung oil, although it seemed to bring out the grain a little better (I tried both). It also seemed to have a tad more color. And yeah, I just meant it kept sucking it up- they say to keep applying it until it doesn't suck up any more oil. In this case, it was a LOT of coats.

Thanks again....

Back