• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Please allow me to gloat.

Kiddo hm? Hardly so. Ya, mommy didn't hug me as a child because I never felt the need to be hugged in the first place. Not everyone needs as warm relations as you or some others apparently (not that I suggest anything) ...

That's right -- you were hatched from an egg, a fully grown streetfightin' self-defense expert, destined to ply your ronin-like trade across the Web. You only post anonymously because you're hiding your true identity from the countless enemies you've made in the course of your travels fighting crime and writing wrongs.

Hey, we all understand how that kind of thing is.

Chambers said:
Phil, you never cease to draw some of the most unique critics.
That might be because he can't(wont) answer a simple question. Anyone who dares question his experience or training qualifications is obviously a troll.

48TH RONIN said:
That might be because he can't(wont) answer a simple question. Anyone who dares question his experience or training qualifications is obviously a troll.

Never had that problem dealing with Phil myself.

Go ahead and ask him a simple question. I'll bet a quarter you'll get a simple answer...

:D

Chambers said:

Go ahead and ask him a simple question. I'll bet a quarter you'll get a simple answer...

Phil, where did you learn the techniques that you wrote about in your latest book? What is the minimum level of experience that you believe a person should have before presenting their knowledge to a paying public?

Sharp Phil said:
"How dare he not fall for our bait!"

What bait? You write a book, someone (or several) ask your technical qualifications, and you avoid answering. Is it because you don't need any background in what you write about? Or is it because you don't have a martial arts resume that will impress any one beyond your writing skills.

I believe most people , even when purchasing a beginner's book on a subject, would want to know that the author has experience in the subject, and is not a beginner himself.

I'm happy to discuss the book with anyone who genuinely wants to discuss its content. It's pretty obvious you're simply pursuing a hostile agenda, however. You don't care about the answers; rather, you seem to think by asking the questions you can score some sort of point.

(As for my own background and the content of the book itself, I should think "palm stick principles" was pretty obvious and I go to great pains to tell the world who I am and who I am not at my website(s). It's not a new idea. The whole thing is very common sense, very pragmatic; I'm simply the first person to have thought of packaging it as a book specifically for small flashlights.)

It says something that while I am busy producing worthwhile content and being productive in the field of self-defense, you have nothing better to do than complain about that fact at multiple Internet sites.

Sharp Phil said:
I'm happy to discuss the book with anyone who genuinely wants to discuss its content. It's pretty obvious you're simply pursuing a hostile agenda, however. You don't care about the answers; rather, you seem to think by asking the questions you can score some sort of point.

(As for my own background and the content of the book itself, I should think "palm stick principles" was pretty obvious and I go to great pains to tell the world who I am and who I am not at my website(s). It's not a new idea. The whole thing is very common sense, very pragmatic; I'm simply the first person to have thought of packaging it as a book specifically for small flashlights.)

It says something that while I am busy producing worthwhile content and being productive in the field of self-defense, you have nothing better to do than complain about that fact at multiple Internet sites.
Chambers says" Go ahead and ask him a simple question. I'll bet a quarter you'll get a simple answer..." When it is obvious to Phil that I have an agenda, blaa, blaa, blaa . No point scoring that I'm aware of. Just curious, what is it that your experience brings to the table that it is worth my money?
Why, if I am asking the question here(since you brought the subject here, and e-budo, and martialtalk, etc.) do I have to go to your website to find out who you are and are not? As you insist on using the entire internet as advertising for yourself, can you not answer a question on a forum you don't moderate?
I don't need to score"points", my agenda is to actually get an answer on the same board the question is asked. So, does that make me a troll, or just someone who doesn't want to chase you around the interent to get a simple answer?

48TH RONIN said:
I don't need to score"points", my agenda is to actually get an answer on the same board the question is asked. So, does that make me a troll, or just someone who doesn't want to chase you around the interent to get a simple answer?

Mr. Elmore, AKA Sharp Phil, clearly stated that he mastered these techniques from "beating up hobos" -- a practice referred to by skinheads and street people as "trollbashing." A deep pathological fear of the homeless is known as "hobophobia." :D

In order to learn more about Phil Elmore's qualifications, just enter his name in the Google search engine.

Pahtoocara said:
How did you research this subject for your book?

I see no need to explain, my question speaks for itself. Even so, it seems to have started a "War of the Words."

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to hear how the subject was researched. IMO, I think the answer Mr. Elmore gave was lame and sarcastic. I guess that's Mr. Elmore's perogative!

Maybe, this thread was started to "gloat" (not my word) and not to talk about palm stick or flashlight techniques. You don't need to be a black belt to tell someone how to push a tailcap and turn on a flashlight. I wouldn't even say you necessarily need "extensive" experience to write the "Tao of Flashlight." Heck, I use a flashlight just about everyday.....BIG DEAL. :yawn:

In a nutshell....shine the light in their eyes and hit them with it if you need to. I should write a book!! Secrets from the ancient civilization of Magus Liteus!! :rolleyes:

However, I do think it would have been cool to talk about some of the effort someone might have put into researching the subject of "self-defense" with a flashlight. Or, maybe someone elses experience in using a flashlight in a self-defense situation.

For you to start a war of words you'd have to be armed with the intellect necessary to fight it.

Perhaps you should actually read the book before you presume to comment on its content negatively. Just a wild thought.

It's been my experience that, as Chambers indicated, the people who bitch loudest about the fact that I devote considerable time and energy to productive, useful self-defense information very seldom bother to read what I write. Of course, the very idea of self-defense by and for average citizens, without any of the ego and BS that so often characterizes the martial arts and self-defense, bothers a lot of people.

Sharp Phil said:
For you to start a war of words you'd have to be armed with the intellect necessary to fight it.

Oops, I forgot about Mr. Elmore's superior intellect. :jerkit:
Apparently, you take things very personally. Grow some thicker skin.

Sharp Phil said:
Perhaps you should actually read the book before you presume to comment on its content negatively. Just a wild thought.

I never commented negatively on the content of your book. I never wrote, Mr. Elmore's book sucks, Mr. Elmore's book is stupid, or Mr. Elmore's book is lamer than a 3 legged dog. I actually supported your position to some degree by stating you didn't need a black belt to write the book. Read what I wrote. Just a wild thought.

Sharp Phil said:
It's been my experience that, as Chambers indicated, the people who bitch loudest about the fact that I devote considerable time and energy to productive, useful self-defense information very seldom bother to read what I write. Of course, the very idea of self-defense by and for average citizens, without any of the ego and BS that so often characterizes the martial arts and self-defense, bothers a lot of people.

Don't flatter yourself. Nobody cares about what you do with your time.
I have read much of your "useful self-defense information" you have on your website. It didn't change my life. I know you are shocked.

I thought "Practical/Tactical" was a place to exchange ideas about practical and tactical methods of self-defense. It might have been interesting to hear you talk about the effort you put into researching your book. Unfortunately, you felt it necessary to start a thread for the explicit purpose of stroking your ego. You could have used the opportunity to enlighten us all about your "useful self-defense" methods.

You put yourself and your book up for comment. You got upset the first time someone didn't respond with, "Oh, Phil! You are the best!" Mr. Elmore, you must believe you are above reproach? Instead of taking the opportunity to inform us about your hard work, you avoid the question and answer with a sarcastic comment.

Mr. Elmore, everyone needs to feel important. If peddling books about flashlights and spewing sarcastic commentary makes you feel important.....whatever floats your boat!

This thread is a waste of time! I could have been out saving the world from hobos!

Chambers said:

Hi Phil, I understand you are basically an average guy, who has had a long standing desire to live through the nasty little things that life can throw at you, your approach to this activity is to use your cranium to apply critical thinking and to not necessarily be tied to any one dogma. Is that pretty much it? You can't trace your training back to Waki kaka Bukkake style that was set down by the anciet emperor 3000 years ago, but rather someone who takes "Be prepared" to an adult level?;)

By the way I took your comment about beating hobos as a joke...rather amusing, but I guess some enquiring minds take umbrage to such jocularity

Don't flatter yourself. Nobody cares about what you do with your time.

Ah, but you do care. If you didn't, you wouldn't be wasting your time complaining. If you didn't care, you would simply ignore me and what I do, which is as it should be. There exists online an entire community that devotes the majority of its time to complaining about me, about my beliefs regarding self-defense, and about my publication, The Martialist. This is perfectly understandable; when you have strong opinions and you share them -- and you have a platform that allows you to do so to the tune of roughly 800,000 hits per month -- you're going to get attention, some of it negative.

While you're busy parsing your statements and trying desperately to justify what is simply an act of trolling prompted by some kind of personal grudge, ask yourself why -- if you really don't care -- you're even bothering to comment. All I did was point out that I've got a book coming out from Paladin Press; most of the responses here were of the predictable, "attaboy" variety. You're the one who has some kind of problem and you're the one (with others like you) trying desperately to have it both ways. You can't feign indifference while bitching about my work.

Oh, and here's a tip: it isn't always about ego. The fact that you're so quick to see that tells me you're projecting your own needs and your own inadequacies onto me. Yes, this forum is about self-defense -- and my book is one possible resource for those looking for just that. What this forum isn't about is your need to attack someone else for whatever petty reasons you might have.

Hi Phil, I understand you are basically an average guy, who has had a long standing desire to live through the nasty little things that life can throw at you, your approach to this activity is to use your cranium to apply critical thinking and to not necessarily be tied to any one dogma. Is that pretty much it?

That's a fair statement.

You can't trace your training back to Waki kaka Bukkake style that was set down by the anciet emperor 3000 years ago, but rather someone who takes "Be prepared" to an adult level?

That's fair too. I've been training in various martial arts for the last decade and a half, but my short-attention-span-theater approach means that I have nothing in the way of credentials that anyone would find impressive. There's a reason I am proud of that fact, too -- it means my ideas have to stand on their own merits. I don't have the option of resorting to appeals to authority; I cannot tell you, "I'm right because I'm Phil Elmore and you're not."

By the way I took your comment about beating hobos as a joke...rather amusing, but I guess some enquiring minds take umbrage to such jocularity

It was indeed humor. More significantly, the people who are usually most humorless and most obnoxious online are those people who seem to have a problem with me. It always amazes me how easy it is to sort the supporters from the critics (there are also those who are truly indifferent and they are the largest group). It is very seldom that I find myself saying, "Wow, I really respect this guy, but he dislikes my work." Usually, it's more like, "Wow, it's amazing that the people who don't like my work are usually titanic jerks."

I write about these topics here and here.

Phil, congradulations on your new book. I carry a Fenix with a crown from TAD with intentions of using it for self-defense. I'm going to purchase your book today. Screw all these haters. But you don't us to be defending you.

Pahtoocara said:
I never commented negatively on the content of your book. I never wrote, Mr. Elmore's book sucks, Mr. Elmore's book is stupid, or Mr. Elmore's book is lamer than a 3 legged dog. I actually supported your position to some degree by stating you didn't need a black belt to write the book. Read what I wrote. Just a wild thought.
!
I read your post, I found it rather negative...I wonder if you read it? To cut it down to basic terms you say that anyone, even a moron, could write such a book. I'll be the first to question your methods when that happens, but shall not hold my breath in anticipation.

Pahtoocara said:
Don't flatter yourself. Nobody cares about what you do with your time.!
Then have you even bothered to post in his gloating thread...which was pretty clear on what it was from the get go.

Pahtoocara said:
I thought "Practical/Tactical" was a place to exchange ideas about practical and tactical methods of self-defense. It might have been interesting to hear you talk about the effort you put into researching your book. Unfortunately, you felt it necessary to start a thread for the explicit purpose of stroking your ego. You could have used the opportunity to enlighten us all about your "useful self-defense" methods.!
Well he did say "please allow me to gloat" are casting a no vote on that request?
Pahtoocara said:
This thread is a waste of time! I could have been out saving the world from hobos!
Let us sum it up...you read his websight yet found nothing useful (which is quite time consuming as he has worked on it for some time,), you came into this thread and still found nothing useful, and yet you are only now deciding it is a waste of your time. Slow learner I guess.

Thanks, guys.

The book is not yet listed on Paladin's website but will be, they tell me, in their April catalog. I expect it to show up on the site any day now. I have not yet received my copies but will be selling it through my store as well.

Sorry, advertising belongs in the Exchange section, specifically For Sale: Gadgets & Gear. (Some people might not think of a book as gadget or gear, but at Bladeforums anything that covers anything that's not a knife.)

ThreadMoving.jpg

Back