Please critique my vegetable cleaver

Taz

If the back of the handle goes up, I think most call it upswept. If it tilts down at the back of the handle, it is downswept usually. A lot depends on the height of your work area. I try to do a neutral handle or slightly upswept (very slight) for kitchen knives. I don't like downswept handles on kitchen knives, but it works well with larger chopping knifes and smaller hunting style knives?

eric brinkerhoff

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
If the back of the handle goes up, I think most call it upswept. If it tilts down at the back of the handle, it is downswept usually. A lot depends on the height of your work area. I try to do a neutral handle or slightly upswept (very slight) for kitchen knives. I don't like downswept handles on kitchen knives, but it works well with larger chopping knifes and smaller hunting style knives?
That's what I thought!

If the back of the handle goes up, I think most call it upswept. If it tilts down at the back of the handle, it is downswept usually.
Okay, then I'll use the terms used by the majority. As I am not a knifemaker, I am not familiar with a lot of the terms for features/designs.

A lot depends on the height of your work area. I try to do a neutral handle or slightly upswept (very slight) for kitchen knives. I don't like downswept handles on kitchen knives, but it works well with larger chopping knifes and smaller hunting style knives?
I, too, prefer neutral/horizontal handles on most of my kitchen knives. But on a cleaver, I find that a slightly upswept handle better facilitates its intended function. My concern with Eric's design is the very pronounced downswept handle which is very odd on a cleaver. Unless his client is very short whose cutting board sits at the height of his/her upper torso, that downswept handle is going to feel awkward. But ultimately, all of these will be a non-issue as long as Eric's client is happy with the end product.

Knives with downswept handles are typically hunting/tactical knives. Kitchen knives with downswept handles are exceedingly rare.

In general, when one isn't sure of which handle angle to opt for, it's best to go with a neutral angle.

All that remains for Eric to do now is to finish the tempering/quenching process, and then select the handle material and grind the blade. Some surface treatment wouldn't hurt, either.

Last edited:

eric brinkerhoff

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Cleaver is being heat treated right now! I'll post more pictures as I go along! The recipient of the knife has approved the handle!