please help identify this tang stamp

Wildcat

Gold Member
new pics uploaded in #14

picked this up at a show today. i could tell it was very well made. the lock sits flush on open and close. no wobble in any direction. only identifying mark is an L in what i think is script. anyone seen this mark before?

sorry for the crummy pics. i'll try to take better ones tomorrow.

Thanks

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the idea that knife is made from a kit. Hard to see from the low-quality photos, but the tang 'stamp' looks engraved.
Can you tell if the makers mark is stamped or engraved?

I'm leaning towards the idea that knife is made from a kit. Hard to see from the low-quality photos, but the tang 'stamp' looks engraved.
Can you tell if the makers mark is stamped or engraved?
If it is/was a kit, whoever put it together did a mighty fine job. :)

Mark is an "L" in 'Old English' Script.
Very popular for calligraphy.

If it is/was a kit, whoever put it together did a mighty fine job. :)

This isn't exact but it's close enough to indicate that such a kit likely exists:
https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/bobcat-lockback-parts-kit-p-1307.html

Mark is an "L" in 'Old English' Script.
Very popular for calligraphy.

I feel that a maker capable of producing that knife would probably have a real tang stamp, whereas someone who assembled and finished a kit might not have the capacity to stamp a blade and would likely resort to an engraver instead.
We'll know which it is when/if Wildcat posts a good closeup photo.

didn’t think about it being a kit knife. if it is, the person that assembled it has skills.

do kit knives have four pins holding the bolster to the frame? this one does.

better pics later

if you look carefully at second picture, you can see three of the four pins

Last edited:
I'm often criticized for not knowing which way is up, so take this post with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Aren't tang stamps usually struck perpendicular to the length of the blade, with the tops of the letters pointing toward the blade tip and the bottoms of the letters toward the pivot? With that convention in mind, I don't see a script L on the tang stamp, but can't see any sensible combination of letters in the standard orientation.

However, if we allow the stamp to be "disoriented", I see the script L if I rotate the 2nd pic in OP a quarter turn counterclockwise. On the other hand, if we're throwing out the usual stamping convention, I see a script F if I rotate the pic a quarter turn clockwise (or maybe even a T followed by a little o?).

- GT

that kit has a 2 part spring. i will look at the knife later when i get home. another thing i didnt think to check. thanks!

these pics show a one piece lock spring. so likely not that kit unless they made a new spring. sure looks alot like it though

tip to bolster is 2 7/8"

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

The kit listed may not be the exact same one. I was just throwing it out as a possibility by pointing out how similar that knife is to a kit in general.
I hope you get some more insightful answers in your quest for information.

Back