Please help me identify these two razors.

BJE

I am new to straight razor collecting. I ordered two razors off of e-bay for around $20. One of them says Wester Bros De-Fi 34 New York Made in Germany on the box, it has a bone handle (I think) and a very hollow ground blade. The other razor says Wade and Butcher Sheffield, it has a bone handle (I think) and a very heavy flat-groud blade that says Celebrated Fine India Razor, there is a little more on the blade, but I can't read it as the blade is old and it is a little faded. Could someone please help me identify these razors. Are they good? How much are they worth.

Is it possible for registered users to post pics. If so, how? If I can, I will post a pic. of the two knives.

Wade & Butcher, depending on the condition, is one of the most (if not the most) collectible, and collected razors around. They also happen to be one of the best (again, assuming good condition) shavers around. Truly outstanding. The Wester, while not nearly as valuable, is one of my favorite brands. They're extremely consistent in the honing department, and make wonderful shavers. Usually pretty plain, and won't win any interesting style awards, but good solid shavers. They have a great piece of steel in them, and a great shaving grind, if you don't have an exceptionally heavy beard. As you noted, it's very hollow ground. Blades ground like that tend to flex a bit as you shave. I like that, but some people find a heavier grind (like the W&B) give better shaves for them.

Thanks Warden41272, I shave with the Wester Bros. because I like the hollow ground blade. Both razors are pretty banged-up with a few scratches and sharpening marks. I got them both off of e-bay for aroud $20 shipped. I can't get the Wade and Butcher to sharpen, I have alot of experience sharpening knives, not so much straight razors, but I get my Wester Bros. shaving sharp, I just can't get that flat ground blade to wear (it's like it's made of S30V or VG-10), I think I need a Jap. waterstone but I can't afford one for a while. The roughest stones I have are: Lansky extra coarse, Norton stone of some sort (got it at a small hardware store for $7), and a very worn DMT coarse. Do you think that a Lansky extra fine stone is fine enough for a straight razor (I strop on paper after), or would you use the Sharpmaker fine layed flat on the base? Also, how much are they worth in that condition (the razors)? Did I get a good deal on them for $20?

Thanks Warden41272, I shave with the Wester Bros. because I like the hollow ground blade. Both razors are pretty banged-up with a few scratches and sharpening marks. I got them both off of e-bay for aroud $20 shipped. I can't get the Wade and Butcher to sharpen, I have alot of experience sharpening knives, not so much straight razors, but I get my Wester Bros. shaving sharp, I just can't get that flat ground blade to wear (it's like it's made of S30V or VG-10), I think I need a Jap. waterstone but I can't afford one for a while. The roughest stones I have are: Lansky extra coarse, Norton stone of some sort (got it at a small hardware store for $7), and a very worn DMT coarse. Do you think that a Lansky extra fine stone is fine enough for a straight razor (I strop on paper after), or would you use the Sharpmaker fine layed flat on the base? Also, how much are they worth in that condition (the razors)? Did I get a good deal on them for $20?

Without looking at them (or at least seeing pictures), I really couldn't tell you whether you got a good deal or not. You really want to keep your knife stones away from your razors. Most are far too coarse. I hone a lot of razors for a lot of people, and about as coarse as I'll go (and they've got to be pretty bad) is a 1000 grit waterstone. The wedge blades are a bear to sharpen under the best of circumstances, and razor steel is usually very high carbon, with a very hard temper, which accounts for the difficulty honing (particularly the heavy grinds). I do offer honing services for razors, so you can PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer Warden, but I am a do-it-myselfer and I would like to get it sharp on my own. As for the cond. of both razors, they both have very chipped and cracked handles although not falling apart so still usable, they both have pretty scratched blade with the flat ground one being the worst with some minor rust pitts. Both have boxes. How good are the razors made by Master cutlery (are they usable)? I bought one at a local flea market for $6 and I am sharpening it right now. Are there any places to find razors locally? Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the offer Warden, but I am a do-it-myselfer and I would like to get it sharp on my own. As for the cond. of both razors, they both have very chipped and cracked handles although not falling apart so still usable, they both have pretty scratched blade with the flat ground one being the worst with some minor rust pitts. Both have boxes. How good are the razors made by Master cutlery (are they usable)? I bought one at a local flea market for $6 and I am sharpening it right now. Are there any places to find razors locally? Thanks for the help.

The Masters are cheap Chinese or Pakistani POSs. If you do manage to get it sharp, it won't stay there, and won't shave very well, no matter what you do. This is from several other razor users who have tried them. I don't have any personal experience with them myself. As far as getting it sharp on your own, that's admirable, but honestly IMO, you need to get one honed by someone who knows how to give you an idea of what it should be like. That's how I learned, despite sharpening thousands of knives. Some things are the same, but there's a whole different level of finesse involved with razors in order to make it shave the way it's supposed to. Straight razors give the absolute best shaves compared to anything else I've tried (electrics, Mach 3s, etc.), but they definitely have to be honed properly, and in order to obtain the best performance require (IMO) some specialized equipment. Not saying you have to use me, because there are quite a few people I could recommend to hone your razor, but it honestly helps to have a professionally honed one to compare your progress to (plus, you can shave with it while you're working on your other :D).

Back