Please Help New Guy with Old Spyderco - Unusual?

Hello and hope all is well wherever this message finds you. I recently joined and have been collecting forever it seems now.:)
I was hopeful someone could provide direction on this Spyderco. I have never seen one exactly like it.......

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. One thing to note is I took the pictures in high resolution with extra lighting...it looks amazing for the age in person and the photos or my photo skills rather are terrible.

Thank you, this one has been bugging me for a while!!!!

What I thought was interesting was that others I have seen have an actual patent number. This one just states US and Foreign Pats.

The patent numbers you usually see are on the pocket clip rather than the knife, as is the patent itself. On the C05S Standard/Economy, the clip is formed as part of the scale, a process that was quickly abandoned when field testing revealed that a blow to the clip would result in a scissor cut of the pocket material. I don't believe they pursued that patent.

I am very thankful for the replies and insight. Thank you. I looked and searched and just could not find the info.

I have always really liked this one and it feels very solid in the hand, it is almost laughable to me when thinking on it that this was an economy model back then but feels more robust and reflects quality more so than modern pocket knives I have that are $100 +.

Mine shows a patent number and foreign patent is pending.
3wau4x0.jpg

Ccamxi2.jpg

That’s why I thought this one was weird.

Every other one I saw, which is not many at all…had the actual patent number. Just trying to learn.

Thank you for sharing

Hi NihontoSeki,

Welcome to our forum.

Patent numbers are permitted to be on a product only for the duration of the patent. Once the patent is expired, it is illegal (in the USA) to show the patent number.

When there are US and foreign patents, then there are too many nubers to list so we just said us & foreign patents. Once the patents are expired, we have to remove patent information.

Hope that helps.

sal

Thank you very much, Sal. This answers my somewhat unstated main question of which occurred first in the timeline.

Thank you, everyone. This has been answered.

Back