PLEASE HELP!! PAULCO JAPAN hatchet head ???

Hello all I’m new to the forum I recently purchased a hatchet head from a local market once getting home and doing a bit of cleaning I realized it had the marks PAULCO JAPAN I have done some searching online and have found absolutely zero on it if anyone would know anything about this head I would be very greatful it has plenty of patina which makes me think it has some age and on closer inspection the handle mount is offset to the blade edge and one edge is a kind of flat grind and the other side has a slight convex which makes me think it may be for small carvings.... then again it could be a cheap $10 axe haha any information would be greatly appreciated also I can’t figure out how to add photos to my post any help with that would be appreciated also haha

Last edited:
unless its a japanese pattern they're generally not much good in my experience, that being overseas stuff

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the reply of the trademark is Australian how come it has Japan on t was it intended for that market or have I misunderstood
PAULCO was the house brand of the Australian company "Paul's", for a variety of products such as "domestic tools with a cutting edge, including files, hatchets, and axes," according to this trademark registration from 1948:

http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=AUTM.96837
w

Wow thanks for the reply of the trademark is Australian how come it has Japan on t was it intended for that market or have I misunderstood

w
The same reasons that tools with the USA trademark "Stanley" can be stamped with CHINA. Global supply. Imports at lower cost, etc.

Japan was the china of today, but that doesn't mean this is definitively garbage.
We need a few pictures of it so we can look for anything that might point towards garbage or if it looks worth messing with.

Use this to upload then post pictures https://postimages.org/
Just copy the hotlink for forums and paste it here.

Last edited:
Ehr really? Most of my axes are from overseas allthough they are local here. Try one elwell connecticut pattern from England and you'll be amazed how much better they are then the american made ones
When we say overseas here in North America we are talking about the cheap labor countries in asaia ( or those that used to be ) that don't or didn't have the best reputations for quality.

Try one elwell connecticut pattern from England and you'll be amazed how much better they are then the american made ones

How so?

In general Elwell axes tend to have long bits which give them poor balance. But a true Connecticut pattern would get around that.

Do you feel that the Elwell Connecticut has better steel than premium American axes or better geometry? Both? Something else?

better quality control in General. I've gotten one from 1942. You wint believe the finish and steel quality on that axe. It isn't the "viking pattern" which You see All the Time, but a true "connie". I dare to say best Connie ever made. So i would say steel is top notch, as is the temper, but that actual finish on it is what makes it perfect.
The Brits were capable of producing absolute first class stuff at one time (pre-WWII) but they never could compete against the Yankees when it came to ingenuity and technology geared toward affordability. Were Sheffield to have decided to manufacture Connecticuts or Jerseys in order to (try to) compete in that market the Colonials would have become suspicious. We need pictures! We deserve to see a Holland & Holland version of a Winchester model 12.

Uh Kevin, that's not a connie.
Pretty sure that's a Dayton, and I don't see anything special about how that axe was finished.
I've seen similar or better in a lot if vintage American axes.
Looks like a good tool, just doesn't seem super special to me ( at least not any more special it is just for it's history )

Thanks for the images. I notice some things and I can speculate about some things for what that's worth. It's likely from the 60's or 70's as that's the time when Japanese forgings started showing up here in the states. Japanese-made mauls and wedges from that period are still commonly found here. The quality of those pieces tended to be equivalent to the lower end US made stuff - homeowner products rather than contractor grade products. Better than current import stuff and perfectly serviceable.

The finish of your hatchet looks pretty good. The die marks have all been polished off. The overall shape is good. The eye is well formed. It has a slight high centerline (convex bit) which is good. It does appear that the bit is slightly skewed to the right in your top down photo.

9464_E30_B-_E563-434_A-9799-76_F6_B4_A450_A8.jpg

All in all it's a decent user. Hang it and enjoy it.

Back