Please make a VG10 micarta Calypso Jr. !

Danbo

Platinum Member
My favorite daily carry knife is the Calypso Jr. with black micarta handles and AUS8A blade. This little sucker just cuts and cuts. The only improvement I can think of is maybe VG10 blade(or even BG42). Can someone please make this dream happen?

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

I agree Danbo, the Calypso Jr. would be even better in VG-10. I would also like to see the Pro-grip in plain edge. That's the only thing keeping me from getting one. RKBA!

I to would like to see it made in VG-10, maybe since the full size one is nolonger, it will happen. I would also like to see the Pro-grip offered in plain edge. That's the only thing keeping me from getting one. RKBA!

I would really like to see a VG10 Micarta Calypso Jr. The Calypso Jr. is one of my favorite Spyderco designs of all of them. Unfortunately Sal has said in the past that the general knife buying customer doesn't appreciate Micarta the way knife knuts do. With Spyderco there is no telling what they will come out with
smile.gif
. Maybe if we ask Sal over and over and over again in a really polite way he will do it!

IMHO this combo would make an excellent sprint run knife for a Forum Knife. Maybe one with a inlay Spyder in the handle? I would also be happy to see a G-10 Calypso Jr with a VG10 blade, especially if it didn't have the steel liner on the clip side. I wonder if the threaded inserts from the LTWT Calypso Jr. would work on G-10?

Paul

I would like a VG-10 or BG-42 Calypso Jr. with micarta also. I have 2 of the Calypso Jr's and improved blade steel is all that is lacking.

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

Sure I'll chime in here again.
smile.gif
I agree 100%. Sal is committed to function over esthetics and I really can't fault him on that.

It's true that the smooth Micarta is not as grippy as the fishtail textured FRN, but I've never had a grip problem with my Micarta-handled Calypso Jr. and I do really love the feel of that handle. It's not what I would make my top choice if I expected a messy emergency, but then I'm not an EMT or the like. Almost all of my daily knife use is quite mundane and the Micarta feels good to me.

A sprint run of Calypso Jrs with VG10 (just use the normal blades) and Burgundy or Coral Micarta handles would be wonderful. Matching Dragonflies would be incredible.
smile.gif
I can definitely think of several people who would be thrilled to get one as a present.
smile.gif

Just don't do the same as with the pink delicas and crickets -- making only serrated blades.
frown.gif

Paul

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
A tool is, basically, an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.

Of course there should be a sprint run of Spyderco's best knife, but with better steel! That would be a guaranteed buy for me.

Please put in an order for a micarta VG-10 Calypso Jr. for me too!!! Maybe ivory or burgundy?

Okay, if Sal is for function (I am too, but would snatch up a Micarta/VG-10 Calypso Jr.), how about a bead-blasted or textured G-10 handle? In blue or red? Black's okay. Count me in.

Jeff Jenness

I remember making this request to Sal, around the time the lightweight Calypso Jr. was announced. Unfortunately he said no.
I do understand his point of view, they have a number of "new" knives that they plan on releasing and "sprint" runs can slow production for the other knives. I'm still waiting for a Military Jr.!

Sal, just in case you've had second thoughts of a "sprint" run of a Calypso Jr. in micarta and a VG-10 blade, I'm still interested. The Calypso Jr. is a wonderful knife.

Thanx much. I appreciate the positive comments on the Calypso jr design. I too, like the design. However, as mentioned, much of the decision must be based on sales volume.

I'll keep it in mind.

sal

I'd just like to add my $.02... I have both the Micarta and FRN handled Calypso Jr. knives (both plainedge) and I love (and I really mean love) the FRN one. Honestly, I expected to like the Micarta handled one more. The lines of the FRN one just seem to line up a little nicer. It really is a great knife. I would love to see Calypso Jr's offered in some different colors... That would be nice!!!

--Matt

Maroon micarta sounds nice! Perhaps one with colored G-10 scales would be nice too...

--Matt

Back