Please send smoke and prayers for Bigbore577 and his family

Wow. I'm beyond speechless. In tears is much more accurate, and sick to my stomach. I had emailed Jay back and fourth numerous times and I feel we were pretty close in the short time I knew him. Definitely one of the people who I'd very much looked forward to meeting one day. My heart aches for his family and friends. So much smoke up for you Jay. One day we'll meet again.

Just happened to check my PM box looking for an older message. Noticed that the last 9 messages received in a row were from BigBore.

What a void this man will leave.

He has been on my mind all night since learning the terrible news. Funny how we meet people here on HI, however never met in person, but genuinely care for, and consider a friend. This place does that to you, with simple genuine people! Not to many places can make you feel that way. Rest in peace my friend.

Just saw this. Unbelievable.

James-Jay-Mcginn-1487851021.png

The fact that I wish I knew him better/more is a testament to the man.
I would've loved to visit him and his HI museum.

What do you get the man with everything? More time with us.

I feel selfish for wanting him here and I hope everyone is at peace.

I was worried about his nephew.....and now he is gone.

I wouldn't feel so gutted if he wasn't so great - and I didn't know him nearly as well or for as long as all of you.

....hoping we can help his poor widow......:angel: <<jay

Last edited:
What a shock! While we never met, we certainly shared a lot of similar tastes in knives and guns. Smoke and prayers up.

BB your kind compassion to HI, Kamis and forum community will stay in our heart forever.
Although it is sad to loose those who are dear to us, there is comfort in remembering all the times they made such a difference in our lives.

With deepest sympathy
Pala, Yangdu and Kamis

What a shock. I've exchanged a few friendly emails with Jay, never any sign of health or other problems, and of course he quickly became one of the mainstays of this online community. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace Brother. The suddenness take my breath away. Peace and condolences to his family and you here who called him friend.

Ray

This is devastating, I have no words for this. Jay and the Missus reached out to me when they learned that both our families had suffered the loss of our sons. My deepest sympathies goes out to the Mrs. and his family.

Prayers and smoke up for his family, I too am saddened by this news. I will miss the discussions we had about topics ranging across the board but particularly about weapons, hunting and similar. But most importantly, BB was a good guy. We are spoiled here in our community because we have several good guys, but in the world they are much rarer than you would hope. He will be missed.

Same. Deal of the day just isn't the same when the best ones are still there a few minutes after posting. They should be gone in seconds. Possibly half spoken for beforehand even...(R-series).

Had a chainsaw question over the weekend, he was the first person who came to mind

I got call from Bigbore577 wife and sad news is Bigbore passed away yesterday.
I am so sadden with this news.
Please send smoke and prayers for Bigbore and his family.

Dear Awesome Friends of Jay,

I want to thank all of our family & friends for the outpouring of love over the past week. It has been extraordinary – and each story you have shared will help keep “Jay-man” alive in our hearts and memories. I met Jay nearly 34 years ago when I worked part-time at Allgauer's restaurant in Northbrook. He later told me, when he saw me filling out the job application, he told the maître “now, that’s the girl I am going to marry!” Eight months later, we were married!
We had 33 wonderful years of love, happiness, humor, & awesome trust of partnership. Jay gave me the experience of being deeply understood, truly supported, and completely and utterly loved – and I will carry that with me always. Most importantly, he gave me three amazing sons!
Jay was my rock. When I got upset, he stayed calm. When I was worried, he said it would be ok. When I wasn’t sure what to do, he figured it out. He was deeply loved by his sons, family, & friends.
The last few years, Jay & I did not get nearly enough time to do the
things we wanted. He was very still in a state of shock over the huge loss of our beloved Jonathan. As heartbroken as I am today, I am equally grateful for our time we spent together. I still can remember as if it was yesterday, when we took our marriage vows at St. Mary’s in Buffalo Grove. That day, nearly 34 years ago made me so complete. I am so grateful that that God gave us our three loving & compassionate sons. We discussed how many children we would have. I came from a family of 11, so I felt 3 was a good number (especially since I was the 3rd child & oldest girl), now with Jay coming from a small family, he wanted 6 children, I told him “No problem, I will have the first 3 & he will have the next 3”.
We always compromise on the household chores; he shoveled the snow in the summer & cut the lawn in the winter. But with all jokes to the side, I will deeply miss him, his awesome cooking, his story telling & his witty sense of humor. I was so spoiled with each & every dish he prepared. I thank God that all my son’s inherit Jay’s gift of culinary art. This past week, my James prepared outstanding meals just like his Father.
As we put the love of my life to rest. His spirit, soul, amazing ability to give is spiritually among us. It lives on in the stories we share on how he touched their lives, in the love that is visible in the eyes of our family and friends, in the spirit and resilience of our children. Things will never be the same – but the world is better for the years my beloved husband lived.
Thank you again,
Jaye McGinn, James McGinn IV, Christopher, Chico (dog) Reese (cat), & Simon (cat) McGinn

Thank you so very for sharing your memories with us, Mrs. McGinn. Your husband was a treasured pillar in our little community. He is very much missed, but we are also so very grateful to have known him.

God be with your and yours, and if we can be of any service at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Back