Plumb Scout Axe Timeline Paper

With the help of Steve Tall's research and countless hours of my own, I put together this Plumb Boy Scout Axe Timeline paper to help everyone date their BSA axes. It took over a year, but it was a fun project. I hope you enjoy reading it and using it to date your Plumb Scout Axes. :0)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BytL-vgqWOybTFdZaWp5QWdybkU
Thank you so much. Great work.

The information did not find its way into Holbrook's book, but that is not surprising. Several people have reportedly tried to supply additional information to Holbrook with no thought of even thanks and have been ignored. That was my experience. "New Editions" that are identical are published from time to time. My modest collection has two axes not in Holbrook.

Thank you so much. Great work.

The information did not find its way into Holbrook's book, but that is not surprising. Several people have reportedly tried to supply additional information to Holbrook with no thought of even thanks and have been ignored. That was my experience. "New Editions" that are identical are published from time to time. My modest collection has two axes not in Holbrook.
I don't know who this Holbrook fellow is but finding folks that are genuinely interested in promoting, or adding to, information (without a selfish interest) about specific stuff are few and far between. The author of this thread does not appear to have ulterior motives beyond educating folks that are curious about what they have. And by gosh he's done a crackerjack job of doing it.

does anybody have a method to access this google drive document? it looks awesome! i have 6 or 7 boyscout hatchets that id really like to find the dates of manufacture for.

That link makes no sense, it takes me to a page that "warns" me that I'm leaving facebook. Then clicking on the button to proceed it informs me that I inexplicably need to log into facebook to proceed . . . despite already being logged into facebook . . . to go to a link not on facebook?

That link makes no sense, it takes me to a page that "warns" me that I'm leaving facebook. Then clicking on the button to proceed it informs me that I inexplicably need to log into facebook to proceed . . . despite already being logged into facebook . . . to go to a link not on facebook?
I will remove the link. It didn’t make me do anything to download it until now.

Maybe message the original poster if you would like to see it.

*It is hosted on Axe Junkies in their file downloads.
My guess is that each time you get a link for it, it is given a "token" of sorts and expires after a time - keeps other sites from permalinking on their bandwidth.

Last edited:
Does anyone recognize this style Plumb National hatchet? It feels like a factory hang but I haven't seen this handle on a National pattern before. It's an 18-1/2" haft, I'm guessing the standard 1-3/4 pound head. The sheath matches the construction of another pre-Permabond Plumb hatchet I own. The head was coated with light oil and sheathed. I don't think it was ever rusted.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Never seen one like that.Do you like that length?Got another victory that size and can't make up my mind what size handle to put it on.Real nice one you got there.

It's a good length and weight for a house axe. But I have a newer Plumb filling that role. I'll give it a chance as a camp axe. But I have so many camp-size axes that none of them see a lot of use there.

The handle feels really good in the hand. Reminds me of my old framing hammer.

Does anyone recognize this style Plumb National hatchet? It feels like a factory hang but I haven't seen this handle on a National pattern before. It's an 18-1/2" haft, I'm guessing the standard 1-3/4 pound head. The sheath matches the construction of another pre-Permabond Plumb hatchet I own. The head was coated with light oil and sheathed. I don't think it was ever rusted.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Any possibility that handle was "curved" at one point and then the belly taken down to make it more straight as it is now?

I think it was always this way. Perhaps it was re-hung.

Comparing it to Plumb's longer National patterns it doesn't appear to have been cut down.
Plumb%20hatchet%20comparison.png

It seems more like a National pattern house axe from the factory.

Back