Plumb Scout rookie rehab

ephsea

Gold Member
I wanted a hatchet for yardwork and camping so scrounged this old Plumb Scout from my own basement, must of got it from family but can't remember the story. The edge was dull with some decent notches in it so I scrubbed off the gunk/rust with a wire brush on my angle grinder, cleaned the mushroomed edges off the poll with a file, pounded the wedges tight (may not last long term but good enuff for gub't work) refinished the haft with linseed oil, reprofiled ege with a file and finished with a drywall pad up to 1000 grit. Totally winged this and might have done wrong but seems to work. Has a nice hardening line on it, but I don't think the poll is hardened? Any input, learnin's, taunts, or links to reference material for refinishing old axes appreciated! Not sure what year it is either, handle seems to have been tinged reddish at one point.
kEsnFVZm.jpg
oeuGt0Ym.jpg
6us0wvmm.jpg

I wanted a hatchet for yardwork and camping so scrounged this old Plumb Scout from my own basement, must of got it from family but can't remember the story. The edge was dull with some decent notches in it so I scrubbed off the gunk/rust with a wire brush on my angle grinder, cleaned the mushroomed edges off the poll with a file, pounded the wedges tight (may not last long term but good enuff for gub't work) refinished the haft with linseed oil, reprofiled ege with a file and finished with a drywall pad up to 1000 grit. Totally winged this and might have done wrong but seems to work. Has a nice hardening line on it, but I don't think the poll is hardened? Any input, learnin's, taunts, or links to reference material for refinishing old axes appreciated! Not sure what year it is either, handle seems to have been tinged reddish at one point.
kEsnFVZm.jpg
oeuGt0Ym.jpg
6us0wvmm.jpg

Probably the poll is not hardened. They usually arent, and yours had mushroomed.

Thanks for the replies! Wasn't totally sure what I was doing there but it has since murdered some limbs and did great! It was pretty easy and is a MUCH nicer axe than I would have bought myself, so I'll probably scout out some more at garage sales and such. Any place I could look for advice on re-profiling the edges?

Back