Spyderco PM 2's

Morning, haven't visited the site for a while, but I have a question. I see that the PM 2's are sold out in most places. Is there something going on at Spyderco?

Too bad they switched to S45VN instead of waiting a few month for MagnaCut.

Based on what information is available, MagnaCut isn't available in quantities like S45VN, and likely won't be any time soon. S45VN is a core product for Crucible, and nobody knows how much MagnaCut Crucible will actually make.

Kinda wished they'd have switched to Spy27. What's the point of having your own proprietary steel if you only use it in a few limited run knives? But hopefully S45VN will be an improvement upon S30V. Its about damned time they ditched S30V.

By the way, does this mean there will be a new run of the Cutlery Shoppe PM2 Wharncliffe in S45VN? If this is the case I may have to pick one up and create a frankenpm2.

Last edited:
DLT has some S45VN in stock as of today. Looks like they are starting to trickle out.

I've been beating on my PM2 Maxamet but to be honest my Canis in S30V has been perfectly fine. Easy to touch up when needed and to be honest not that far behind the Maxamet since I've also had to take it to my water stones twice. Clearly holds an edge 2-3x longer but since we all sharpen and touch up our blades I would not detoured by S30V.

I'm a big fan of CPM-M4 which is what my Spyderco Gayle Bradley's blade is made of. M4 is one tough steel that holds up to all the abuse I toss at it working around my house and shop. I"m not sure about the major differences between all the S30, S35, S45, S0-, S110, etc. etc. for use as a knife blade, whether they mean anything serious or not. Too much for my poor brain to comprehend.

(33) Knife Basics - What You Need To Know About Knife Steels - YouTube

Back