PM2 choil gets in the way

hi all, want to ask what kind of cutting tasks the PM2 excels at in your experience. had mine a couple weeks, branching out from BM. i was breaking down some cardboard and got some choil hangups. i like it for kitchen use so far. when are you reaching for the PM2 over others for a given task? Mahalo!

Interesting. Kitchen duty is the one thing I don't use a PM2 for because I much prefer the kitchen cutlery I have. However, if I have a PM2 on me, I will happily use it to cut my food in a restaurant rather than use the knife they provide. I also don't hesitate to use it for almost anything else knife-related that a folder should be able to do. The blade is long enough, the handle comfortable enough, and the knife light enough that--at least IMHO--it excels at a lot of things. It is my favorite production folder that's not a slipjoint and the only time I'd opt for something else would be if the task at hand would be more easily accomplished with a different blade shape such as a wharncliffe.

I have never had any choil hangups as you say either. Maybe if you put your index finger in the choil, that will help.

Thanks, buddy. I’ve let my mind wander recently while at Outback Steakhouse - pull out personal blade to cut steak. Wife would be mortified!

I was at a friend’s and they were grilling steak and was asked to do the honors with my PM2, the steak didn’t stand a chance!

Coming from Benchmade to Spyderco you may need to get used to the finger choils being there on some knives. I get what you're saying though, you're used to starting your cut closer to the handle which is now jimped choil instead of blade. You'll get used to starting your cut a little farther out from the handle.

A good way to "get your bearings" is by using the choil in your grip, so that your finger indexes (heh) the start of the sharpened edge.

I am having some difficulties understanding choil hangups. You mean you accidentally cut cardboard with the choil? If so, I think it is just a matter of getting used to use the knife or you just choke up your finger in the choil when cutting.

I’ve never cared for choils except on hunting fixed blades. I’m sure you’ll get used to it. Choils seem to be very popular.

I tend to agree with that sentiment. I don’t particularly care for them on most folders especially, but it doesn’t bother me anymore either. If you’re a fan of Golden Spydercos you’re pretty much stuck with ‘em. I like as much edge as possible as well as a handle that can accomdate good indexing without choils.

I’ve never cared for choils except on hunting fixed blades. I’m sure you’ll get used to it. Choils seem to be very popular.
It’s my first Spyder knife so I’m not used to it. Wanted to branch out and give the ‘co a try. I think it is a pretty design for sure. I’m wanting more substantial handle grip feeling. Im used to a more hand filling grip. (that’s what he said)

Back