Recommendation? PM2 or PM3?

Something that no one has talked about is hand size. I find the PM2 a bit tight so I prefer the Manix 2 and the Military. I believe I would find the Para 3 (P3 not PM3) to be too small for all of my fingers. It is shorter than the Delica in actual grip area because of the choil. So, if you have larger hands, get the PM2.

I’ve tried the pm3, twice actually, and just didn’t like it. It’s not much smaller than the pm2 and for me at least it actually carried worse than the 2. It’s the same width in the pocket but the wide part/thumb hole is higher on the 3 and therefore seems bigger in pocket. If I need something with a smaller blade I’ll use either my delica or Benchmade foray.

I got my first Para 3 a few weeks ago and after the newness went away I decided it was a little small for me. The PM2 fits my hand perfectly. For something in the Para 3 size, I will stick with the Native.

Reactions: whp
Something that no one has talked about is hand size. I find the PM2 a bit tight so I prefer the Manix 2 and the Military. I believe I would find the Para 3 (P3 not PM3) to be too small for all of my fingers. It is shorter than the Delica in actual grip area because of the choil. So, if you have larger hands, get the PM2.

This is a good point, and something that will come in to consideration. I have fairly big hands, but I like small knives, as long as the ergos are good.

So I got a package today..
zfGMVwk.jpg

mffkAaB.jpg

Couldn't decide, so I went with both.

I can definetly see why the PMs are such popular platforms, gonna be a fun few weeks trying them out.

So I got a package today..
zfGMVwk.jpg

mffkAaB.jpg

Couldn't decide, so I went with both.

I can definetly see why the PMs are such popular platforms, gonna be a fun few weeks trying them out.

Congrats! I have both and like both my preference goes towards the PM2 although the Para 3 is a really great knife/design.

I think the PM2 is a very sexy looking knife. I don’t own any because the blade length is too long where I live. So now I own 5 different para 3’s and that family is growing. The para 3 has pushed out the Delica 4 as my favorite knife to own and use to me that says a lot. The handle/steel choices for the para 3 should make it possible to find a model that suits your needs perfectly.

.....For example, if you wanted to try Maxamet, them the PM3 is a whole lot easier to obtain in that steel than a PM2....

That damm para 3 maxamet is my white whale. I have been hunting that guy for a while now and haven’t had luck finding one.

That damm para 3 maxamet is my white whale. I have been hunting that guy for a while now and haven’t had luck finding one.
Well whatever you do, don't give up and don't slack off on it. I don't know how long it will take, but you will trip over one eventually if you keep at it. Believe me, that is THE trick if you don't score one when they are released.

The para 3 has pushed out the Delica 4 as my favorite knife to own and use to me that says a lot. The handle/steel choices for the para 3 should make it possible to find a model that suits your needs perfectly.

I can see that. Just from playing with them a few hours last night on the couch I really like how they feel in hand. The PM3 had a bit of lockstick, and somewhat stiff in the closing, but this might break in. I went with the PM2 for my work-knife today, and it's been great so far.

Well whatever you do, don't give up and don't slack off on it. I don't know how long it will take, but you will trip over one eventually if you keep at it. Believe me, that is THE trick if you don't score one when they are released.

Cha ching! Found the elusive Maxamet Para 3 for sale on this forum at an awesome price. Trick is to look back a few pages, not just the last two days. Usually the items still for sale get pushed back to the older than than 5 pages. That is how I found my carbon fiber S90V and the maxamet. Bad news is that makes the 6th hard to find para 3 in three weeks $$$. Good news is I have all the ones I was looking for. Bad news is the para 3 model is a big hit for spyderco that Sal keeps releasing more super steels.

The standard Military was a bit large for EDC but the PM2 seems to be right in the sweet spot for me.

The only time I carry smaller knives is when circumstances dictate...clothing, environment, occasion etc.
I have to agree with this. The PM2 is the perfect size for edc comfort and outdoor work comfort. The only time I carry A 3 inch blade is when Im dressed up
and staying inside.
So the PM3 for indoor cutting. The PM2 for outdoor and indoor cutting. To me, the PM2 is not a big knife or hard to carry indoors or out.
If you want to carry 2 knives, a 4 inch blade and a 3 inch blade might nice, but only because of the increased range of work capacity of the 4 inch blade. If you carry one knife, the Pm2 is a great compromise.
The Pm2 is arguably the best edc knife currently on the market,regardless of price.
Full disclosure, I prefer 3.5 to 4 inch blades on folders. I carried my Endura daily at work and off work for several years. My Delica, a nice little knife, stayed in the drawer.

edit: Wrote this before I got to the end of the discussion.
Congratulations on your acquisitions. Have fun with them.

Last edited:
I’ve had a bunch of each and I always end up dumping the para 3. It is a great knife if you need one that small. I found a deep carry clip is almost essential for the para 3. The blade length is just to small for what I like to carry although it feels good in my hand when I choke up on it and use the Choil. I actually just tried my luck with a maxamet para 3 last week and it’s now on the exchange. Pm2 for me fits like a glove.

Back