1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pocket sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Hotshot10, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Hotshot10

Hotshot10 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I'm looking for a pocket-sized (or slightly larger) medium/fine stone. I'd like to keep it in my car so that I have it when I go fishing.

I had a Fallkniven DC4 a while ago and liked it, but I am open to other suggestions as well. Any recommendations?

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I'm biased, but I'd suggest an Arctic Fox pocket or field stone. :)

willc, CasePeanut, Hotshot10 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Edge Pro compatible stones are a handy size, and you can use them with one of the guided systems if you have or get one. Alternatively glue two unmounted 1"*6" stones back to back.

Frozen Bear Trading and kreisler like this.
  4. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    A bunch of choices, especially since you are keeping this in a car and not in your pocket.
    There are folding diamond sharpeners. Better for edc knives than anything longer. I think they have double sided.
    Sharpening supplies also has a pair of DMT double sided 6x2 stones in a case where the bottom also works as a stone holder. Fine for a glove compartment.

5. Rowan McDirk

Rowan McDirk

Aug 16, 2013
    Hotshot10, Ironkid883 and hughd like this.
  6. Retired45

Retired45

Feb 22, 2016
    Personally I like the Spyderco Doublestuff. Light and effective, for quick touch ups.

7. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    For what steel(s) ?
    I'm thinking you want it for stainless but just guessing.
    I was unaware of the Falkniven stone until your post; sounds really great for your purpose :thumbsup:
    I too have been focusing on small portable stones of late. Mostly for the simple / milder alloys. My super steels get me through for so long I never touch up away from home.
    Personally I keep coming back to the EZE-LAP paddle sharpeners. All I really need is drill bits and box knife blades. Like the Falkniven my EZE-LAPS can get by nicely without water. I have been experimenting with very small oil stones of late. I'm not experienced enough to even suggest stones there but the need for break-in is kind of frustrating. The EZE-LAPs might need a little break in but they come in very fine grits so it is easy to refine an edge once apexed.
    As far as what diamond paddle grits I find useful : Black handle = coarse, Blue = "super fine" .
    If these two don't cover your needs throw in a Green extra coarse or a Red or Purple for something medium.

I'll be interested to hear what works best for you.
    The suggestions to just carry the six inch Edge Pro stones is a good one. I might be a little concerned with really high temps if your car gets very hot sitting in bright sun. The water stones might crack or come off the aluminum backing. Where I live high temps in parked cars can be a problem. For instance a bicycle tire left in the car can explode if in the sun under a window etc. Kid's marbles left in the seat have caused car fires. (do modern kids even know what a marble is ?)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    55182A67-F43F-41D7-A76D-018EB5134492.jpeg I like the DMT folder now available in HardCoat (supposed to last longer). One side is 600 mesh (fine), the other is 1200 mesh (extra fine).

MolokaiRider and Ironkid883 like this.
  9. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Just got a dc4 myself its ok for tiny knives my arkansas stone got broken .any suggestions for a sharpener for a hogb8 or any larger knife

10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    For big knives I like scythe stones or paddle sharpeners. Bring the stone to the knife like a file.

Ironkid883 likes this.
  11. Pokerchip

Pokerchip Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I'm with FortyTwoBlades. The Arctic Fox pocket stone works great, and for the price it's hard to beat.

willc and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Depends on the steel you want to sharpen ... but I can recommend the Arctic Fox field stone for most steels ... or if you are sharpening steels that require more the DMT Diafolds are hard to beat.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Alberta Ed and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  13. Hotshot10

Dec 23, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, all. I'll be doing some research this weekend.

I'm not sharpening anything crazy at the moment. My collection mostly consists of Moras, of which I have several in stainless and several in carbon. Those Scandi grinds are very nice for hand sharpening.

14. Hotshot10

Dec 23, 2012
    I'm definitely okay with a bench-sized stone. The one sort-of drawback of the Fallkniven stone for me was the fact that it was pretty small.

15. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 1998
    I have got excellent results with both the DC4 and the Spyderco DoubelStuff.

16. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    DMT Diafolds work on any steel. Light, durable, easy to carry. Very versatile.

17. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    A new stone (to me) that I have been trying out (and am impressed with because it is so hard yet cuts) is :
    Boride T2 Series 6" x 1" x 0.25" Sharpening Stone with Aluminum Mounting for Edge Pro 150 Grit

These are easily
    recognizable because they are dark blue. It is particularly recommended for stainless. I got mine from Gritomatic and it is made in the USA.
    Maybe they make larger ones; I think I saw them somewhere.

18. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @Wowbagger I have a T2 in F320 and find it good but not outstanding; the AS-9 (old Edge Pro 320) seems to cut similarly but stays wet longer so I tend to reach for it instead. What other low grit stones do you have to compare to the T2 150?