Pocket sheath for my Steingass NY Special

8/9 Herman Oak, I left it natural except for mink oil. My NY Special doesn't have the snap but a horizontal stitch on both sides holds it in there pretty well. Thanks for looking.

NY Sheath 2.jpg NY Sheath 1.jpg

To be honest and not to dog your work but it looks dangerous to me.. Does it have a welt? What is going to keep the knife from binding and coming through the leather? It looks way to square for the knife and looks like the knife can move around a lot? Unless it has a welt that is fitted to the knife.. it will be okay for now but what about a year down the road after a lot of wear.

Anyhow, again I'm not trying to dog your effort but some concerns just from a frontal view...

Todd

Thanks Todd, no welt. I went heavy, 8/9 ounce, it would take quite a bit to poke a hole. But i see your point. Knife fits fairly tight, i can hold upside down and it won't come out. But yes, its not as secure as the knives that come with a snap. These NY special sheaths were what I was going for in terms of style. Appreciate the feedback.

images

images

upload_2017-10-30_7-27-34.jpeg

Last edited:
I too would be concerned about the sheath being weltless. It would be very easy to modify that pattern to take a square u shaped welt during construction. Honestly I'd be tempted to use Paul's trick of some JB Weld on the inside edge of the welt or my deal of using some superglue to reinforce that welt edge. Same idea just a different way of skinning the same cat. Your t-ing of the stitching at the top probably does provide good retention. I'd probably wet mold the sheath some front and back. Not for additional retention but for a place for the knife to be inside the sheath. I've found this to extend the life of the sheath by quite a bit.
Nice work by the way. I like the color that mink oil produced.

You have a very fine knife there. I've made quite a few sheaths for TK's knives. They are some of the best.

Thanks Dave, I didn't know about the jb weld or super glue trick, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to offer help.

Back