Polaris Field Knife

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
BACKGROUND INFO:

PICT0035-1.jpg

Also known as the North Star, Polaris is a celestial body representing direction in the Northern Hemisphere. Always constant, it provides the outdoorsman with an unfailing reminder of relative location in the field. It is an unwavering aide that can also symbolize the destination one treks towards in life or how a person travels on that path. For me, the path I’ve followed has included being both student and teacher of a variety of field craft. Learning how to live with nature and how to enjoy it for all it has to offer. Learning how to share what I know with the eager and how to enhance my understanding of the outdoors through challenges and experiences. The Polaris Star is something I have always looked for above and now I can always have it at my side too.
“What is the perfect knife?” For years I have pondered this. I have had many discussions and debates over features and manufacturers. I have promoted certain blades and dismissed many gimmicks and gadget-like blades. Throughout it all, I have remained true to certain criteria. It was with these specifications, I started to determine the dimensions and features of the Polaris. Taking my current favorite carry blades and those from the past that served me well, I unscientifically measured and charted all the dimensions, blade shapes, and features. Averages were determined and plenty of rough sketches were made. I never planned on reinventing the wheel nor will I even pretend or attempt to say I have since deep down I believe I haven’t. There are only so many ways a blade can be made. The Polaris pays homage to many classic designs. It just happens to embody exactly what I look for in a basic utilitarian belt knife. It may not work for everyone but I know from my experience and time behind a blade, it works for me.

The basic specifications for the Polaris are:

Tool-steel blade: A2 preferred but 01 works well too
Thickness: 5/32”
Width: 1”
Blade Length: 3.75” sharpened (4” from tip to handle slabs)
Blade Design: Spearpoint
Handle: 4.25” overall with 3/8” Micarta handle slabs

Edge: Flat and Convex Gossman Grind

Overall Length: 8.25”
Misc. Notes: Hard 90 degree spine for ferro rod scraping. Multiple holes drilled in handle to move balance point forward and reduce weight.

I will never say this one will do it all. Ideally, this will round out a trio of tools including a small multi function tool (Swiss Army Knife or Multi-tool) and larger chopping tool like an axe or big blade( I routinely carried this knife with my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and found no task too big or small.) The purpose of this blade is to have it on you at all times. It isn’t too small to limit cutting tasks and it isn’t too large to inhibit constant carry on the belt, slung around the body or worn around the neck. Weight reduction was a factor in the design and that is why the tang has many holes drilled through it. As many as possible in my opinion without weakening the tang to a point I would be concerned with. I have used many skeletonized tang knives with varying degrees of material removed and never had an issue with the strength. Still, I wanted to err on the side of caution with the holes drilled.

FIELD USE:

The expression, “fits like a glove”, sums up my feelings towards the Polaris Field Knife. I received the blade from Scott Gossman and immediately had Greg Haugh of Lonerider Custom Grips handle it for me. Scott is pretty busy and I didn’t want to bother him to make the handles and sheath. I really wanted the blade NOW and was too impatient to wait. Once I had the blade back from Greg (handled in natural micarta) I made a quick sheath for it and I was ready to evaluate its performance.

PICT0032-1.jpg

I carried the blade on my belt for a month whenever I went out to do something outdoors. Whether the impromptu hike, cleaning up the yard, holding a clinic or going on dedicated trips to test a particular aspect of the blade, I had it with me. I don’t like reading about “tests” done in basements or “tests” done in a single day. I wanted this to be a real test of real uses for a blade. If this knife would be a constant companion, more time was needed behind it than an evening in a basement with some scrap 2x4’s. By the time the testing was almost done, it felt like a perfect extention of my hand.
One of the first tests was edge retention. From whittling projects, to opening packages to food prep in the kitchen, the blade’s edge was unaffected. I used the blade regularly to cut small saplings by bending the sapling and cutting against the grain. The shaving sharp edge cut right through small saplings starting to grow in and choking larger more mature trees. Scott’s proprietary grinding technique of mostly flat grinding with a convex finish is really something I’ve learned to appreciate. The edge was touched up from time to time with black and then green stropping compound but it never needed the sandpaper and mouse pad treatment.

PICT0047-1.jpg

From time to time I tested the tip strength. I like the spearpoint for tip drilling and I used the tip for removing birch bark for bark containers and for starting the initial depressions in bow drill sets. I also hammered the tip into wood from time to time to practice one-handed firesteel fire starting. To really stress it, I drilled into hardwood to start lanyard hole on a project for an upcoming magazine article. I later drilled out the main smaller diameter part of the lanyard hole with a powerdrill. Tip drilling isn’t done all the time but from time to time you may need to do it. Rest assured, the Polaris can handle it.

PICT0041.jpg

Firesteel scraping can be easily accomplished with the near 90 degree spine of the blade. Another great use for this area of the blade is removing the inner bark from certain trees. When making different tools, I sometimes prefer working the wood (a lot of maple and beech) without the outer and inner bark on it. The spine scrapes it right off.
While only 4” in length, I feel this blade can handle light chopping tasks. I wanted a lanyard hole in the bottom of the blade for this purpose. When used with a small length of paracord, the blade length can be extended. With a whipping action, the smaller blade can be a somewhat effective chopper. If nothing else, it is better than nothing. While not a replacement for an axe or machete, it will chop better than your hand. You never know when you’ll need it and after testing it, I know this blade will work in this capacity. The edge was unaffected by the chopping force.

PICT0050-1.jpg

Batoning is done to death in reviews and all I will say is this knife will do that nicely. For most low impact camping trips, I will not be batoning 6” diameter logs. I will find smaller fuel and use that since calories expended have to be replaced and large fuel collection and processing burns a lot of calories. I batoned this blade through some smaller diameter logs and with proper technique, it accomplishes the task nicely.
For finer carving and a choked up grip, the blade feels like an oversized but substantial paring knife. Using the blade to blunt the tip of bow drill spindles, I felt like I was using my kitchen knife to trim the top off of vegetable or piece of fruit. The handle contour I requested from Lone Rider Grips puts a lot of material up front where the best purchase on the knife can be made. Being round and free of hot spots (ridges, checkering etc) the handle is very comfortable in extended use in this position.

PICT0042.jpg

There are dozens of grips possible with a blade. From standard grip, to a cone grip, to reverse grip, skinning grip, choked up and beyond, this blade is very comfortable. The handle shape and thickness of the handle slabs make long durations of use very easy on the user. In the past, I’ve used blades with too much contour or index finger cut out in the handle where more is needed. My hands have fatigued from gripping onto less. This wasn’t the case with this blade.

PICT0033-1.jpg

PICT0040-2.jpg

PICT0051-1.jpg

Overall:

PICT0044-2.jpg

This knife isn’t groundbreaking. It isn’t one that will sell because of a survival gadget or gimmick. It is simply a tool with excellent production execution that embodies what I want in a blade. It may look like many blades out there and there may be a dozen like it available from different manufacturers. No surprise there considering the inspiration for it came from a combination of many popular blades. However, this one was made to my specs and with my tweaking of designs and it has all I could ask for in a compact package. I’ve spent years working with different blades in many different roles. I think I’m done searching for the ideal blade. Then again, tastes change with experience and with time and maybe in 20 years I’ll want something else. Maybe I’ll go through the same process and find something new. For now, this blade will always be in the same spot on my belt just as the Polaris is always in the same spot in the sky.

great review Kev..:thumbup: i really like that knife... :) i may have to see if i can free up some funds in the future...:eek:

Great review Kev, I'm really pleased the design is living up to your expectations.

Ps. awesome job as always Scott and I know it might not be as practical on that particular knife but I'd love to see one with some of your stag slabs on !!!!

Very nice Kevin. I definitely see the influence of your top three knives in this design. I can also appreciate your "real world" tasks in evaluating the performance. Carry/use time is a major determining factor and you nailed that as well. It appears that you have found another useful design for outdoor and bushcraft utility. Kudos to you and Scott for bringing it to fruition.
Mike

Thanks for the review Kevin, and thanks to Scott for bringing the knife to reality. I have been looking for a design similar to this, and this is a great idea.

Great review and pics. Your thoughts on it and the design sum up my preferences in a knife as well. Great stuff.

Looks like a user! Great work on the knife to both Scott and Kevin. I hope to see one and see how it feels in my small hands. I really like the looks of this one.

Kev --

Good review and dead on. I've only had my Polaris for 12 hours, but it quickly became apparent this is a great field knife. Very nice design and Scott's execution is excellent. Love the way this man makes knives--no nonsense, all business.

I agree that there isn't anything ground breaking here, but it is a refined design that hasn't gotten carried away with superfluous extras. I like where you've started the drop in the spine toward the tip--feels good with an extended index finger. I think there is a nice balance between straight edge at the heel of the blade and belly in the tip. Blade thickness is reasonable, i.e. not too thick. Tip is nice and pointy for piercing/drilling.

Scott offered 1/4" or 3/8" scales and I went with the 3/8" size. I have big hands and like a big handle. I chose well. :D Love Scott's handles and this one is no exception.

So even though I don't have any field time with this one yet, my impression is that it's a real working field knife that will work well for me, just what a knife should be. Nice job Kev (and thanks Scott). :thumbup:

Back