How To Polish the Bolsters on my GEC ?

Hey everyone, I like to polish stuff and this Montana Workhorse Whittler is due for some polishing...

So, what is your prefered method and favorite product to keep your bolsters shinny?

Thanks.

6eZz6Fzl.jpg

Very simple for me, but effective. Leather strop with green compound and finish with a cloth to remove compound. Works a treat! You can of course use metal polishes but they don't always go well with say wood scales.

Regards, Will

Very simple for me, but effective. Leather strop with green compound and finish with a cloth to remove compound. Works a treat! You can of course use metal polishes but they don't always go well with say wood scales.

Regards, Will

Works great for me, put some green compound on a scrap of lester and rub the bolsters on it, shines right up.

Nothing for me. Do it enough and the pin will start sowing. Besides if you let it go long enough you get a really cool satin finish. Takes a very long time though.

Will

I use flitz for a quick polish, and a buffer with green compound if I am trying to really give a satin finished bolster a mirror polish.

Be careful using any metal polish on the bolsters on a knife with light-colored handle materials. Use a VERY small amount of polish, and use a cloth or paper towel with your fingertip to avoid getting any of the black oxidized metal residue/polish combo on the handle materials, or in the small gap between the handle materials and bolsters (even if it is too small to notice, it's there).

It can permanently stain and discolor your handle material, especially if it later wicks into the edges of the handle materials where they meet the bolsters. It is doable, just be careful with the black stuff it creates while polishing.

Last edited:
Works great for me, put some green compound on a scrap of lester and rub the bolsters on it, shines right up.
Thanks alot everyone... I spent 20 or 30 seconds on this bolster on my strop and ran it under my buffer for same .. I think I will stick w/ this method on a different piece of leather dedicated to this purpose, as there was quite a bit of dirt that came off I don't want on my strop...
6DyYaoNl.jpg
:)

Nice job on the bolsters. Looks like a new piece.

I was actually going to suggest (if needed) to go through a progression of grits, 1k, 2k, 2.5k, 3k then buff with the flesh side with compound and then the skin side without any compound.
Keep in mind that from the 2.5K you can goto a 0000 steel wool or extra fine Scotch-Britepad for a smooth satin finish with no blemishes.

Thsee are normally the routes I take for a user that I am touching up prior to gifting it. But the finish depends on what the knife is and what it will be expected to do.

Nice job on the bolsters. Looks like a new piece.

I was actually going to suggest (if needed) to go through a progression of grits, 1k, 2k, 2.5k, 3k then buff with the flesh side with compound and then the skin side without any compound.
Keep in mind that from the 2.5K you can goto a 0000 steel wool or extra fine Scotch-Britepad for a smooth satin finish with no blemishes.

Thsee are normally the routes I take for a user that I am touching up prior to gifting it. But the finish depends on what the knife is and what it will be expected to do.
I have seen some very well maintained, super shinny bolsters on occasion. Maybe they were yours, considering that progression. p.s. Bill, I would be more than happy to be on your "gifting" list....
:D

I will have to consult my magic 8 ball to see what your future holds.
:D

So you put me in the mood, this is about half way through.

patinaclean.jpg

Did you protect the wood at all? I've seen Flitz dull the shine on a wood handle...did you run into any trouble?

Looks like a Rosewood or Walnut Copperhead, right?

Looks great.

Did you protect the wood at all? I've seen Flitz dull the shine on a wood handle...did you run into any trouble?

Looks like a Rosewood or Walnut Copperhead, right?

Looks great.
It's Curly Zebra African Hardwood. Flitz actually brings it up to a really nice shine. Unlike my softer or less stabilised woods where it does the opposite as you say.

Here's an older picture of it all nice and shiny.

cp3.jpg

and here is a wood that really, really doesn't like Flitz, even after I stabilised the scales.

NK_4.jpg

Back