polishing blade

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if brass/copper cleaner will damage my blade as I was shining the bolster on my BAS and a little cleaner got on the blade. I polished it and it seemed to be fine but after putting a little oil on the blade it seems more dull. My imagination or what ??

Thanks
Brendan

What type of cleaner did you use?

Try toothpaste for polishing it out at the small part of the blade that got "dull". If that doesn't work might be time for some Fitz or other metal polishing compound. I am sure someone here has a suggestion that has worked for them.

You can go straight to the Flitz, on a cloth at first, or on 0000steel wool for very minor marks. Jewelers' rouge on a cloth will put the original shine back on an unmarked blade, but if you want to take out scratches/dings, very fine silicone paper may be necessary, and then the rouge and cloth routine. An electric buffer and rouge is the original polishing method, and will put everything back to original, but it can be very, very risky if you are not used to using a powered wheel. It can be risky even if you ARE used to it (per many of our professional blademakers). I like the old, hand method. Saves fingers and toes.

Walosi,

This is why I always enjoy reading your postings. Informative, no BS, just plain experience. Not to mention I like the frog too.

I've had great success using Mother's metal polish. You can buy it at any automotive supply store (such as NAPA). It's very mild, probably because it's designed for use on aluminum mag wheels. I apply it with a piece of flannel cut from an old shirt. I've found it puts a great shine on my blades and minimizes wear marks without showing any abrasion. Might work on your dull spot.

Thanks very much Walosi, I'll try it and let you know how I get on.

Thanks all.

Walosi; when I use 0000 steel wool it polishes but dulls compares to the original mirror finish. You can also see fine brush marks. If I add a metal polish such as you suggested, will it be as new, or?

munk

OK - Guess I should differentiate between polishing and shining....or make up some new terms. A spot of carbon or rust, not pitted, can be POLISHED out with the 0000, and, perhaps, a dab of Flitz or Simichrome. Neither of the polishes are abrasive - they polish by chemical action. The steel wool is the abrasive, and is harder than the spot (we hope) but softer than the blade (usually) so the spot removal is accomplished, after much rubbing and speaking in tongues to various dieties. SHINING is done with any one of many concoctions - wheel and trim polish, car wax, jewelers rouge on a rag or wheel, according to the condition of the surface. ALL of these contain a certain amount of very fine abrasive - super fine. They do the final shine-up, and restore the BirGorkha gleam. They are different "strengths" if you will, and the rouge is the "industrial strength", but even the cleaners which are intended for aluminum wheel covers will work.I use one of these on the final, as it also leaves a protective film. The concoctions that leave a film to be rubbed off after they dry, leave an even spread of whatever abrasive they contain, and impart their shine as they are rubbed off. If that isn't perfectly clear, don't panic. I've been up since 0200 and will edit it when I get some catch-up Zs :D

even wasted tired and beat: when the Frog speaks, EF Hutton and everyonelse listen.

munk

Walosi when he wakes, or ANYONE, I have two questions:

My Chitlangi has a blue tint, seen in certain light. I imagine because of the forging. Will a re-polish remove this? Is this a surface coloration only? I like it, the original "Blue steel."

One of the brass inlets on the blade of my BAS is peeling off. I tap it back in, but when the knife is used the end wiggles out and then snags on whatever is being cut. What should I do? Expoxy? Melt some more brass? I'm tempted to just yank it out, but then there'd be no gold color in my nice knife.

Thank you,

munk

The blue on your blade is probably as much reflection/refraction as anything else, but could be some heat coloring. I doubt, if that is the case, that polishing will remove it.

The brass is inlayed hot, and a sharp corner will raise from time to time, or can be picked out by the buffer when the blade is finished. You might try to re-set it with a very hot soldering iron. A torch might play hobb with the temper, but that isn't my area. Any tree sap or debris can keep it from "sticking", so sluicing it out with alcohol might help. An epoxy would be the simplest way, but some can be corrosive to high-carbon steels, and brass, so you should check anything you intend to use.

Wal,

Email me at either of the two addresses you have for me. My email to you keeps bouncing.

Okay, I have some jewellers rouge. It's like a resin soapy piece !!

How do I use it ?

For a first try, rub the bar on a clean piece of cotton rag, wrap it tight around a forefinger, and rub down the dull area.If the shine comes back, OK. If it is noticeably different from the rest of the blade, rub down the entire side, and then even it off with a clean, folded cloth. This _usually_ cleans mine up enough to pas at least casual inspection, but it may take several tries (still preferable to having a wheel throw a Khuk at your tenders). :eek:

Back