Polishing Blades to a Mirror Finish and Beyond!

Hello everyone,

I've been searching around to find a definitive source for how to polish a knife. That is, the blade itself, the handles, etc. Though there really isn't one really food source for this info, as far as I know. I was hoping everyone could post some useful links, pictures, or info and this may eventually turn into a Sticky so everyone can easily find it and benefit from it.

Thanks for the help!

-Aaron

Howdy
A lot of people on this forum say paper wheels are the way to go for fast and easy sharpening/polishing. I've never tried it, but some people say it's great.

I've used a series of Japanese water stones to achieve a mirror polish. 1000-3000-6000-8000 grits-working my way up. This takes a long time to get a uniform mirror polish on a convex blade. You have to make sure to get every high spot polished. It took a long time, but it looks great :)

That's my way, I'm sure there are faster/better ways out there though :D
-Casey

aaron was asking how to put a mirror finish on the entire knife. the paper buffing wheel wont work too well for polishing an entire blade since they are too hard. smaller parts can be polished up with the buffing wheel. i have buffed sears for guns and other small parts.

I enjoy buying a knife on ebay and then removing scratches or flecks of corrosion from them. I do so by using Flitz and an old sock, and rubbing for quite a long time. I have a lot of nervous energy, so for me, it is therapeutic. If the scratches are not too deep, the Flitz will eventually remove them and approach a pretty nice mirror finish, depending on the metal of the blade, but I have had fun, and I am a firm advocate of Flitz. I also use it to strop with.

I enjoy buying a knife on ebay and then removing scratches or flecks of corrosion from them. I do so by using Flitz and an old sock, and rubbing for quite a long time. I have a lot of nervous energy, so for me, it is therapeutic. If the scratches are not too deep, the Flitz will eventually remove them and approach a pretty nice mirror finish, depending on the metal of the blade, but I have had fun, and I am a firm advocate of Flitz. I also use it to strop with.

I have tried a lot of polishing products but always go back to Flitz. I use it on so many things including the final polish on knives. Even their mix for brass tumbler media is the best product I have used to clean dirty brass.

If you run across brass or copper that's badly tarnished, "Barkeepers Helper" is a great product to start with - then finish with Flitz.

I will have to try Flitz polishing products and a buffing wheel too. Need to buy another bench grinder so I don't have switch out wheels. Especially with the paper wheels on and having to true them every time.

If you're talking buffer,try sissal wheels and grey compound to knock down the grind lines.It will dull the blade badly but remove the finishing marks.Then go to a tight sewn wheel with white compound.Then finish with pink.That's how i get a shiny blade anyhow.

meters read 1 ohm easily, thats not what i am talking about. 5 k pots will also go to 0 ohms easily too. its the procedure that is goofed. I will document when I finish the trip I am on if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

meters read 1 ohm easily, thats not what i am talking about. 5 k pots will also go to 0 ohms easily too. its the procedure that is goofed. I will document when I finish the trip I am on if someone else doesnt beat me to it.
553px-Lol_que.jpg

Interesting first post.

Back