[Poll] For your needs, is the combo tool enough?

For your needs, is the combo tool an adequate replacement for the cap lifter/can opener tools?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
IMG-2023-03-15-10-55-26-500-2.jpg

The combo tool is a great piece of engineering, IMO. For your needs, does it do enough to replace the Cap lifter/Large SD and the Can opener/Small SD on other models?

Let's compare features:

Combo tool:
- Cap lifter
- Can opener (work backwards)
- Flat SD (tip can be used on Phillips)
- Wire stripper
- Pry bar

Cap Lifter/large SD
- Cap lifter
- Large flat SD
- Pry bar
- Wire stripper
Can opener/small SD
- Can opener
- Small flat SD (can be used on Phillips)

I phrased the question per your needs. Objectively, a dedicated tool is always better than a compromised one. The two drawbacks I see with the combo tool, is its size and the Phillips capability. There will be lots of slop when engaging a large flat head screw. Also, it has less prying power. To drive Phillips, you have to hold it consistently at an angle, which is harder than using the in-line small SD tool. The advantage of the combo tool is that it saves room for other tools, or makes the knife one layer thinner.

For my needs, the combo tool is good enough. I don't have a constant need to pry or turn Phillips screws.

I love, LOVE, the combo tool!

When I carry my alox bantam, and pair it up with the ever present classic, all my needs are met 99%. In the 25 years or so that I've been using a bantam or waiter, not once did the combo tool not do it. And that was a deeply recessed Phillips screw that held the throttle and reverse control on an electric trolling motor on a canoe that chose to come apart att he far end of a long and winding lake. The SD tip of the classic was just skinny enough to fit up in there and replace and tighten down the screw. A long paddle back against the wind was avoided.

If have my classic and bantam, I feel very able to deal with what the day will throw at me in my mostly suburban life.

Last edited:
I voted Yes because I guess technically it would work for me.

But I don't like losing the small blade and like the small flat/phillips on the can opener. Also it feels like the large flat on the bottle opener is more in line with the handle and has a longer bearing surface.

It's all about the driver for me, so the combo tool is definitely a no-go.

I basically never need a cap lifter of any kind and have a can opener in my kitchen , so I personally wish they offered a plane flat blade driver with at most the wire notch if that.

no idea. I don't have the combo tool. Other than a photo, I don't believe I have seen one.
Since there is nothing wrong or amis with the SAK's I have (Mini Champ, Evo Grip 10, Evo Grip 14, Hercules, and somewhere I have a Huntsman) I do not intend on getting another SAC anytime soon ... unless it is a replacement Huntsman ...

I bought a Compact to carry in place of a Climber I was using a few years ago. I wanted to keep the scissors and lose a layer.
I pretty quickly decided that the combo tool was a pretty sorry replacement for the can opener, bottle opener layer. At least for my needs it was a no go and the nearly new Compact sits in my knife cabinet along with a Bantam.
What works for one doesn’t always shine for another. I will admit that I’m resistant to change and that might be part of it.

The Combo tool is a good tool

But being an IT tech I use the small Screw driver on the can opener a lot to open PCs (for example) so for me its not enough

The Can opener screw driver is way faster

I have yet to procure a SAK with the combo tool, so I’m legitimately not sure. I like the wide flathead of the cap lifter for prying and twisting.

I voted ‘no’, but I’m one who knows it can work as a substitute in many cases. I just prefer the two openers most times.

Ironically, my biggest issue with the OEM location is the lack of higher backspring compression. IMO, It’s better and safer installed on the main blade side.

Believe it or not, it’s my preferred driver for tightening door hardware. Yes, even more than the in-line Phillips.

I'm a Can opener user... the combo tool is perfectly fine for a can or two. Tonite I opened 2 cans of Rotel, and 2 tomato sauce. The traditional can opener is for me easier and faster for multiple cans. For other uses, I'm good with either.

Combo is good enough for me since almost every can I'm going to come across in Australia is a pop top, and it's good enough for the few that aren't. If I could do a 3-layer with scissors, a main blade, mini blade, and the 3rd being a combo plus something else, that would be sweet, but I can't think of what the other "half thick" blades are.

The real benefit the combo tool has is:
1) single layer, light weight compromise, such as the Waiter and Bantam models.
2) freeing up room for other useful tools in two layer format, such as the Compact model, and possibly the Walker model if a saw is really helpful to you.

With the exception of the compact, I don’t think Victorinox had fully realized it’s potential. Give the world a couple more strong two layer candidates and I think more people would say it’s worth the compromise.

I never use can openers so in that sense combo tool would be good enough but the can opener tip works better for cross headed screws sooo...

Back