Poltava Metallic Bonded CBN Sharpening Stones Review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you runt he Metallic bonded CBN dry? Looking at Gritomatic's chart, the 8k is pretty high up on the charter (for the metallic bonded cbn). The only Shapton glass stone that would rank higher on the chart would be the 16k or higher if I'm reading it correctly.

Hytekrednek if I were you and could afford the higher grit's I'd get them as well,the 8000k does not seem to scratch as bad as the Venev stones,if you want to do mirror polished edge's just go over the edge with a shapton glass 8k stone and some water and talk to Ken Schwartz about what emulsion would have the same micron size as a shapton glass and put a drop of CBN emulsion from Ken on the shapton glass stone to help aid in the removal of scratch's.

I think even with the Venev 2000 grit stone witch is the same as a 15k water stone from Japan people make to big of deal when they read about how they will leave scratch's on the edge but they are not that bad at all and can be taken out the same way with a 16k shapton.

I took your advice and got the complete set. I have used them all except the 8000 stone. I am very impressed and have no regrets getting them. I do regret that my 140 Atoma will probably just collect dust now. That thing is expensive too. When I can, I would like to get a spare set to put away for later. It seems everything I take a liking to goes out of production.

Do you tape your knives? or worry about slurry?

I do tape the nicer knives completely with only the bevel exposed. These do not make much slurry, but better safe than sorry. On the not so nice and fancy knives, I just lightly wipe the slurry away between grits.

Where did you get the Metallic CBN stones from,also you should look at getting a Gayle Bradley folder 2 in M4 you will really like how sharp the 8000 get's the M4 blade steel without going to finer grit stones and if you do go to finer grit stones like the Chosera's and the Suehiro 10 and 20K stones it will get really sharp,but going just to the 8K CBN and stropping will still get it really sharp.

You should also look at the Gritalon stones on sharpeningstones.ru those things are cheap and work really well I was more impressed by those stones then any of my other water stones including any Japanese stones I have,don't get me wrong the Suehiro 10 and 20K are great and will really take an edge to the next level but for the cost and performance the Gritalons work great.

I took your advice and got the complete set. I have used them all except the 8000 stone. I am very impressed and have no regrets getting them. I do regret that my 140 Atoma will probably just collect dust now. That thing is expensive too. When I can, I would like to get a spare set to put away for later. It seems everything I take a liking to goes out of production.

Last edited:
I have the full set of metallic cbn and a shapton glass 16. Thinking about this one for a finisher

I don't worry about taping when I use the CBN stones I might tape if I was going to use the 2 coarsest stones but even then I don't know if I'd worry very much at all because they do not make any slurry.

Do you tape your knives? or worry about slurry?

I got 2 from amazon, the rest from gritomatic. I have a couple spyderco M4 bladed knives, but neither need sharpening, and havent for a while.

I use the 2 edge pro polishing stones to finish with usually, the 2300, and the 4000. Sometimes I follow with 6k tapes, then light stropping.

You could try the shapton glass 16k for a finisher if you want polished edge's but if were me I go with a 10K Chosera then a 10K and 20K Suehiro,the reason I like to use the Chosera 10K first is because it's not a hard as the Suehiro 10K and it removes a bit more metal,the Suehiro 10 and 20K stones are extremely hard and really just polish and that's about it the Suehiro 10 and 20K are buying even at their higher prices if you want polished edge's because they do a great job and they wear so slow you'll be handing them down to your children and they might do the same and I'm not joking when I say that,it would take someone who use's them everyday to wear them out.

I have the full set of metallic cbn and a shapton glass 16. Thinking about this one for a finisher

Look forward to your video . That's alot of coin to drop. At least you got a good sample stone.

You could try the shapton glass 16k for a finisher if you want polished edge's but if were me I go with a 10K Chosera then a 10K and 20K Suehiro,the reason I like to use the Chosera 10K first is because it's not a hard as the Suehiro 10K and it removes a bit more metal,the Suehiro 10 and 20K stones are extremely hard and really just polish and that's about it the Suehiro 10 and 20K are buying even at their higher prices if you want polished edge's because they do a great job and they wear so slow you'll be handing them down to your children and they might do the same and I'm not joking when I say that,it would take someone who use's them everyday to wear them out.

Where do you find these stones?

Also, if i have the 8k metallic cbn, wouldn’t chosera 10k according to gritomatics chart be going backwards?

Last edited:
For reference, you only actually need diamonds on high-vanadium steels as you begin to approach 3µ. In the coarser range a conventional synthetic whetstone in silicon carbide or aluminum oxide will work just fine, as its abrasive grains are so much larger than the vanadium carbides that it just scoops them out of the steel matrix.

wade7575 wade7575 I'm getting the new hapstone m2 with
Poltava Metallic Bonded diamonds.

While not cbn can you give any feedback that might relate between the two?

I got a sample Metallic diamond stone thrown in with an order from Gritomatic and it worked very well and your not going to see any difference between the CBN or Diamond,I don't know why Konstantin went with the CBN over the Diamonds ones to carry and it does not matter to me but what it really boils down to is that CBN when mounted to a wheel for grinding where a lot of friction is created CBN out performs Diamond.

CBN is a man made diamond and made a bit different from what I read when compared to man made jewelry grade diamonds,CBN can with stand higher temp's then Diamonds can before it gets soft from heat.

wade7575 wade7575 I'm getting the new hapstone m2 with
Poltava Metallic Bonded diamonds.

While not cbn can you give any feedback that might relate between the two?

Reactions: Mo2
I got a sample Metallic diamond stone thrown in with an order from Gritomatic and it worked very well and your not going to see any difference between the CBN or Diamond,I don't know why Konstantin went with the CBN over the Diamonds ones to carry and it does not matter to me but what it really boils down to is that CBN when mounted to a wheel for grinding where a lot of friction is created CBN out performs Diamond.

CBN is a man made diamond and made a bit different from what I read when compared to man made jewelry grade diamonds,CBN can with stand higher temp's then Diamonds can before it gets soft from heat.

The ONLY thing CBN does better than diamond is withstand heat, other than that diamond is the better abrasive. CBN is not the same as diamond, totally different, not nearly as hard or sharp.

The ONLY thing CBN does better than diamond is withstand heat, other than that diamond is the better abrasive. CBN is not the same as diamond, totally different, not nearly as hard or sharp.

Just as sharp, just not as hard. The crystal shape is almost identical to diamond. It wears faster but it's not any blunter.

My first experience with the cbn 120, it will leave particles and scratch if your not careful. Cuts very agressive, more so than Sic but id hope so.

So whats better, softer, cuts the same but twice the price and wears faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back